News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

When someone says, "Bless you.".....

Started by Being_Brave, January 22, 2011, 08:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Being_Brave

I heard a comedian joking about how he sneezed once and someone said, "bless you", which he stated offended him. It made me start thinking about how often "religious-one-liners" are used by the people I know, and they probably don't realize it. Thank God, thank Heavens, bless you, God bless you, (any combo of the terms)...and on the more humorous side I hear; Holy Jeez, Holy (anything), "Jesus,Mary,andJoseph!", etc..

Now, I know most of it just comes off as funny, but I'm wondering if any of those things actually do offend an athiest like the comedian said? I don't imagine athiests are easily offended by every single religious term, but is it something that people should be more careful of? :hmm:

LegendarySandwich

Nope. I use "religious" one-liners all the time in my speech, although they usually border on the offensive side -- like, "my god", and "goddamn".

Whitney

the origins of "bless you" is from back when people thought demons were trying to attack someone who sneezed at the sneeze made the vulnerable to being possessed (or something stupid like that).

So, really, saying bless you is a nod back to when religion was especially out of touch with reality...I don't see why that should offend an atheist.

The above said, I typically just don't say anything.

Being_Brave

:) I figured as much- the guy did use it in a comedy set. Thanks for quick responses.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Nope. I use "religious" one-liners all the time in my speech, although they usually border on the offensive side -- like, "my god", and "goddamn".

If god makes me kick my toe he cops much worse than that.
You can say gazoontite which apparently is good health, but it's probably best just to duck for cover until it's all over.

Asmodean

Those who "bless you" me, usually get a Sieg Heil as reply, or some similar remark they can ponder... For no other reason than because I can.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Asmodean"Those who "bless you" me, usually get a Sieg Heil as reply, or some similar remark they can ponder... For no other reason than because I can.

But you don't have a nose.

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"But you don't have a nose.
Sneezing with your left eye. That, my friend, is the true art.  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Cecilie

I believe some people say gesundheit.
I do say "herregud" (=oh my god) sometimes, but that's about it.

Totally related:

[youtube:3acrgy8z]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XyQJTwxBI[/youtube:3acrgy8z]
The world's what you create.

pilchardo

Quote from: "Being_Brave"I heard a comedian joking about how he sneezed once and someone said, "bless you", which he stated offended him. It made me start thinking about how often "religious-one-liners" are used by the people I know, and they probably don't realize it. Thank God, thank Heavens, bless you, God bless you, (any combo of the terms)...and on the more humorous side I hear; Holy Jeez, Holy (anything), "Jesus,Mary,andJoseph!", etc..

Now, I know most of it just comes off as funny, but I'm wondering if any of those things actually do offend an athiest like the comedian said? I don't imagine athiests are easily offended by every single religious term, but is it something that people should be more careful of? :hmm:

I don't think you have anything to be concerned with. If you want to say god bless you to someone who doesn't believe in god just go ahead and say it. They'll either appreciate your intentions or they'll use it as an excuse to have a go at you and if they do that's their problem. Don't let other people's aggression affect you, just be yourself.

Velma

Quote from: "pilchardo"
Quote from: "Being_Brave"I heard a comedian joking about how he sneezed once and someone said, "bless you", which he stated offended him. It made me start thinking about how often "religious-one-liners" are used by the people I know, and they probably don't realize it. Thank God, thank Heavens, bless you, God bless you, (any combo of the terms)...and on the more humorous side I hear; Holy Jeez, Holy (anything), "Jesus,Mary,andJoseph!", etc..

I don't think you have anything to be concerned with. If you want to say god bless you to someone who doesn't believe in god just go ahead and say it. They'll either appreciate your intentions or they'll use it as an excuse to have a go at you and if they do that's their problem. Don't let other people's aggression affect you, just be yourself.
I agree pilchardo.  I take it in the spirit in which it was given.  I usually say 'Bless you' when someone sneezes.  It's habit.  I doubt anyone takes it seriously.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Ultima22689

Yeah,  when says bless you, have a blessed day, may god bless you, etc. I say thank you as the meaning of those phrases is steeped in good wishes to another so why get upset over them?

McQ

Use the Seinfeld response to a sneeze. "You're soooo good looking."
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

elliebean

I don't get offended, I just get annoyed when, after having said it, they repeat it again louder, trying to solicit an undeserved "thank you." Or worse, when someone (who may not even be religious or theistic themselves), without a hint of irony, looks at me all hurt and dejected when I don't say it to them, or go as far as to ask me, "aren't you going to say 'bless you'?" To them, I look straight in their eye and shout, "BLESSED ART THOU IN THE NAME OF ME; GO FORTH AND SNEEZE NO MORE!!" Never been asked twice by the same person.  :cool:
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Being_Brave

Quote from: "McQ"Use the Seinfeld response to a sneeze. "You're soooo good looking."

Quote from: "elliebean"To them, I look straight in their eye and shout, "BLESSED ART THOU IN THE NAME OF ME; GO FORTH AND SNEEZE NO MORE!!" Never been asked twice by the same person.  lol  lol