News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

How paranoid are you of Google?

Started by hismikeness, January 19, 2011, 07:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismikeness

Google... if you're reading this, I would like an add targeted to me for free stuff only. Thanks!
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Recusant

Why would the people who refuse to use google  products because "they collect your information" feel any safer using other similar products?  Do they think that google is the only entity that uses that sort of model?  I think that pretty much any time one gets on the internet, there is most likely a bot of some kind casually noting online behavior, and compiling it for the use of some organization or other.  Information is power, and no organization which has the ability to gather information is going to pass it up.  Sure, you can tick boxes which say "I don't want information about me to be gathered," but I'm dubious about how effective that is.  If you're really paranoid, you would only use computers at internet cafes, and never the same one twice.  Just avoiding google whenever possible isn't going to do much, in my opinion. :hide:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "Recusant"If you're really paranoid, you would only use computers at internet cafes, and never the same one twice.
...and change your email address every month, provide fake information for everything, etc.

You can compromise on that last point.
For example, I have a facebook account, but the last name on it is only vaguely similar to my real last name, and I've never even been to the places it says I'm from.

Facebook is far more evil than Google, anyways.

LegendarySandwich

The way I see it, maintaining privacy over the Internet is getting harder and harder. There are only really four options:

1. Don't use the Internet (pretty much a nonexistent option, nowadays)
2. Be a paranoid privacy nut (may even be harder to do than opting not to use the Internet)
3. Accept that you can never have true privacy on the Internet, and continue to use it, while practicing safe browsing habits and using common sense when it comes to your private information.
4. Not care.

I choose to go with the third.

Velma

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"The way I see it, maintaining privacy over the Internet is getting harder and harder. There are only really four options:

2. Be a paranoid privacy nut (may even be harder to do than opting not to use the Internet)
3. Accept that you can never have true privacy on the Internet, and continue to use it, while practicing safe browsing habits and using common sense when it comes to your private information.
4. Not care.

Same here.  With a little caution and care, you can be safe and maintain your privacy while online.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

hismikeness

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"Facebook is far more evil than Google, anyways.

That's not saying much. I guess that's my question... what is it, exactly, that google does that is evil? To me, the using of information only for advertising is benign. Are you suggesting they are using the information otherwise? For what purpose? What is it that Facebook is more evil than?
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Recusant

Quote from: "hismikeness"

That's not saying much. I guess that's my question... what is it, exactly, that google does that is evil?

Dude, the thought control waves have obviously gotten to you!  For your own safety and self protection, my advice is to get one of these:

[spoiler:1g7st9ag][/spoiler:1g7st9ag]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

Quote from: "Recusant"
Quote from: "hismikeness"

That's not saying much. I guess that's my question... what is it, exactly, that google does that is evil?

Dude, the thought control waves have obviously gotten to you!  For your own safety and self protection, my advice is to get one of these:

[spoiler:1xi8gn4p][/spoiler:1xi8gn4p]
Get a Glenn Beck or a tinfoil hat? I guess it doesn't matter as relying on either is probably a sign of insanity.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Asmodean

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"The way I see it, maintaining privacy over the Internet is getting harder and harder. There are only really four options:

4. Not care.

5. Cheat. Appear as someone else while online.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Asmodean"

4. Not care.

5. Cheat. Appear as someone else while online.
I would list that sort of behavior under number 2.

The Magic Pudding

The Firefox Noscript add-on blocks some Goggle stuff.

I sometimes wonder if I'm getting Fred Fish into trouble.
Does the resident of 2 Big Street Smalltown receive an unusual amount of unsolicited mail?
Do random phone numbers receive calls looking for Fred Fish?

terranus

:|

It doesn't matter. Big brother already knows everything about you anyway. There's no sense in hiding anything anymore. :hide:
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--