News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

If the draft were re-enacted, what would you do?

Started by MommaSquid, July 19, 2007, 08:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MommaSquid

With so many stories in the news about soldiers being killed, I wondered what people might do if the draft were re-enacted.  

Would you:

Serve your country in whatever way the government deems necessary?

Claim Conscientious Objector status and serve in a noncombatant capacity?

Claim Conscientious Objector status and serve under the Alternative Service Program?

Dodge the draft?

Be glad you are female, and therefore cannot be drafted?

Be glad you are too old to be drafted?

Other (please specify in post)

In case you don't know this already, all men ages 18 through 25 living in the U.S. must register with Selective Service. It’s the law.  

(This includes undocumented immigrants.  See http://www.sss.gov/ and http://www.sss.gov/WHHAP.HTM for more details.)

Please discuss.

Will

I'd fill out my conscientious objector papers, but I'd probably end up doing something more drastic after I was turned down for that status. I will not fight in a crusade. Too often drafts are enacted because the people are too smart to get involved in a stupid war. I'm not stupid enough to go off and fight a war for a politician who has no clue what he or she is doing and who has no business making war. Conscription is, in my mind, unconstitutional as slavery has been abolished.

If things got bad enough, I'd go Harriet Tubman and help to smuggle non-murders into Mexico and Canada.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

donkeyhoty

I chose other.

Are we specifically talking about a draft for the debacle taking place in Iraq?  Or, a hypothetical future conflict(Iran/N. Korea/Luxembourg)?

If we're talking only Iraq, then I'd dodge it.   But, if we're going after Luxembourg, sign me up.  

Or, do something that a hack comedian would suggest, make-out with a dude in front of the enlistment office.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

MommaSquid

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"I chose other.

Are we specifically talking about a draft for the debacle taking place in Iraq?  Or, a hypothetical future conflict(Iran/N. Korea/Luxembourg)?

I guess we're talking about a hypothetical continued future in the Middle East.  

Since our military has been there in some capacity for half of my life, it's not too far fetched to believe we won't be getting out any time soon.  

BTW, Conscientious Objectors can serve in non-combat positions.  Any takers?

MikeyV

If the draft were enacted today, I would get out of the military as quickly as I could.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

Squid

Personally, just for me I would not worry as I am not eligible for a draft or any other kind of reinstatement - medical discharge under honorable conditions.  The Navy was kind enough to give me an anthrax vaccine which caused me to have epilepsy.  I'm cool now - the seizures stopped eventually and I get a whole $115 from Uncle Sam every month.

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Squid"...The Navy was kind enough to give me an anthrax vaccine which caused me to have epilepsy.  I'm cool now - the seizures stopped eventually...

Nasty.  I didn't know that could happen...and I'm glad to know that the seizures have stopped.  Hopefully that's a permanent change.

MikeyV

Quote from: "Squid"The Navy was kind enough to give me an anthrax vaccine which caused me to have epilepsy.

One of the unfortunate (but thankfully, rare) side effects that we weren't told about when we got the damn series.

I couldn't move my arm for a week after the initial injection, and for several days after each booster.

So far, no side effects though. Glad you recovered, Squid.
Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things. One is that God loves
you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the
most awful, dirty thing on the face of the earth and you should save
it for someone you love.

-- Butch Hancock.

tacoma_kyle

Its hard to say, but at this instant, I THINK I would serve. I have always kinda wanted to but at the same time was kinda worried and still am. But you'd learn whats goin on over there first hand and learn a lot of odds and ends.

While I tend to not want to think about the war in terms of right or wrong, the main reason why people die over there is the result of bombings from extremists, not much else. Yeah the bush is a moron and what not but you cant blame him 100% like too many people do (usually 911 conspirers it seems). But at the same time, in SOME aspects it would seem pointless to even continue over there because of the wars that have  been going on for decades. We are just squattin in the middle.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

SteveS

Well, I'm 35, so I guess I'm out of the running.  But I was of "draftable" age when Gulf War I broke out (the one with the other Bush, papa Bush).  There was a lot of talk back then about a draft being reinstated.  I guess I always figured if they drafted me I'd go.  If I could be, and was, drafted today --- same answer.

I don't know -- I agree with a lot of what tacoma_kyle says above me.  The religious fanatics, and especially extremist muslims, are really bad news.  I guess I just don't feel comfortable saying someone else has to go over there and fight.  It bugs me even now.  So, I really wouldn't dodge or object.  I'd go.  Not that I'd be all that excited about going, but I would.

Squid

Quote from: "MikeyV"
Quote from: "Squid"The Navy was kind enough to give me an anthrax vaccine which caused me to have epilepsy.

One of the unfortunate (but thankfully, rare) side effects that we weren't told about when we got the damn series.

I couldn't move my arm for a week after the initial injection, and for several days after each booster.

So far, no side effects though. Glad you recovered, Squid.

I was one of three people who developed idiopathic nocturnal epilepsy at the same time on our boat.  Other people experienced some development of moderate to severe asthma.

Tom62

I believe that I would only enlist if my country would be in severe danger, which is currently not the case. They would probably not enlist me, because I'm "too" old  :cry:.

The problem with religious fanatics is that it is not bound by any country border. Unless the USA and it's allies eradicates the entire middle east, major parts of Asia and huge parts of major western cities there is no military way to win the war on terror.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

donkeyhoty

another problem with joining up/ getting drafted is that there are no more "conventional" wars.  Maybe if we went into N. Korea there would be one, but then again Lil' Kim would probably use whatever "unconventional" means he has at his disposal.

The "Iraq War part deux" was over really quick, because there isn't a military force on the planet that can handle the US in a "conventional" war (maybe China, just on numbers alone). The fucked up part has been the occupation.

In conclusion its not the combat phase to be afraid of, it's the occupation phase that's frightening.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

SteveS

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"In conclusion its not the combat phase to be afraid of, it's the occupation phase that's frightening.
Man, do I ever agree with that sentiment.  In more ways than one.

I've always figured if you are in a combat situation, moving a front line forward, you know what you're about, you know it's dangerous, and you can maybe somehow deal with it.  You're risking your life to help your comrades.  But what about going to the crowded market place to play policeman, day after day for X years, never knowing when someone in the enormous crowd is going to shoot you point blank in the back of head?  Surely, that's got to be worse?