News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What do you do with someone who ignores you?

Started by gearofages, January 08, 2011, 12:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearofages

Whenever I try to discuss religion with one of my friends, she more or less just shuts off. I give her (what I believe to be) very good reasons for not having religious belief. Not only does she not refute me, she doesn't even try to. She told me that I should talk to someone who was more qualified to understand "my" line of reasoning. She is an otherwise intelligent girl, but when it comes to religion, she turns into an obstinate, irrational moron. She has no bullets to fire back at me, but she makes excuses for it instead of coming to terms with the impending reality.
I don't beat her to death with it. She will occasionally even bring up the topic herself. I am an avid anti-theist, and her father is a minister. I feel like this is going to go one way, or the other; but it can't continue like this forever. What should I do?

LegendarySandwich

Stop trying to argue or reason with her. If that won't work, then you might have to stop being friends.

Welcome, by the way.
 :bananacolor:

hackenslash

If you value her friendship, what does it matter what she believes? If it comes up, just point out that it isn't worth falling out over. If she presses the point, then drive it home.

I try to stay aloof in such matters generally, and most of the believers I know know better than to broach the subject with me, because they've all been shot down in flames in the past.

There's no reason for her beliefs to colour your perception of her as a person, although I know this can be difficult. I am about as rabid an antitheist as it's possible to be, but I am firm friends with believers of all stripe. Don't let it affect your friendship, because tangible friendships are far more important than silly beliefs. Don't be then one to let it affect your relationship but, at the same time, don't let your relationship cow you. Be firm. See the bottom line of my sig for more details.

What people believe is of little consequence in personal terms, and such things shouldn't be a source of contention if you really like each other and get on.

Above all, be a gentleman.

Edit: Just noticed that this is your first post, so a couple of additional comments:

First, welcome to the forum. Second, I manage to be friends with all sorts of believers. The only ones who ever fall out with me are those who cannot separate their beliefs from themselves. Unfortunately, they are all too common, which is why I even have 'fans' who follow me around fora like little lost sheep, trying to bait me into arguments (which they inevitably lose). If you search around a bit for my username, which is the same everywhere except Youtube, you will find that I am merciless, but even on the net, I count many theists as personal friends. Hit google with the search words 'hackenslash' and 'god' and you'll get plenty of hits. Always, though, I am respectful of the person (although, with the aforementioned caveat, the believer doesn't always see it that way).
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Stevil

Just respect her for who she is regardless if her beliefs seem unfathomable to you.
I am sure she doesn't want to argue with you and discussion of this topic will surely lead to an arguement. People don't generally tend to appreciate or even like people that are driven to prove them wrong. You will simply build a wall of resentment and anger between you both.

There must be many other topics of mutual interest you can discuss.

If you are really interested in debating religion then this forum is the perfect place for you, many, many people are willing to argue for and against you. Currently some good people to debate against are AnimatedDirt, Voter and Achronos, they are all Christians and are happy to debate. But do not expect to be able to convince them into your way of thinking. What is right for you is not necessarily right for others.

Enjoy

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Stevil"If you are really interested in debating religion then this forum is the perfect place for you, many, many people are willing to argue for and against you. Currently some good people to debate against are AnimatedDirt, Voter and Achronos, they are all Christians and are happy to debate. But do not expect to be able to convince them into your way of thinking. What is right for you is not necessarily right for others.

Enjoy
They're actually the only Christian regulars here (and I suspect that Voter is a troll). I wish we would get more people of differing opinions, but I guess that's what happens when you have a forum called "Happy Atheist Forum".

gearofages

Thanks guys, it feels nice to be around like-minded people.