News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Bill O'Reilly: God Causes Tides, Not Moon

Started by Sophus, January 06, 2011, 06:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terranus

Quote from: "hismikeness"This imbecile is going to interview the President during the Super Bowl telecast. I can't believe that he gets a voice on tv. I'm pretty sure that my wife's 8th grade class knows where the moon came from and why the tides go in and out.

The fact that so many people take what he says seriously is disturbing.

Agree. This just proves that being popular doesn't necessarily take a lot of intelligence.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Sophus

Roughly, from Conan O'Brien's monologue tonight:

"Bill O'Reilly said the tides were proof of God before learning the moon caused them. Then he asked 'but where did the moon come from?' Yeah... in a related story Bill O'Reilly is a five year old boy."

EDIT: Colbert topped CoCo's little zinger. Big time.  lol
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Sophus

Quote from: "hismikeness"This imbecile is going to interview the President during the Super Bowl telecast. I can't believe that he gets a voice on tv. I'm pretty sure that my wife's 8th grade class knows where the moon came from and why the tides go in and out.

The fact that so many people take what he says seriously is disturbing.
Sometimes I wonder how many who tune in are taking him seriously or are watching the responses. He actually does get opposition to come on his show unlike Glenn Beck. I can't stomach much of O'Reilly but I guess I'll have to tune in for his SuperBowl interview with Obama. Which, by the way, Bill is predicting will be the most watched interview in history. It's possible, but only because it's before the SuperBowl.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Stephen Colbert"You’re like St. Thomas Aquinas, in that your understanding of the world is also from the 13th century.

lmao.

Also:  "We don't float off into space -- we stick to the ground!  Therefore, God."
Illegitimi non carborundum.

fester30

Guys like this are so popular because there are large numbers of Americans who feel like the America they know is slipping away.  These are Americans who are fond of keeping gay marriage illegal, making abortion illegal, and keeping religion in schools as an alternate theory to science.  They want to keep American language English, and culture conservative, with pants worn around the waist, teenagers not getting laid (since many of them didn't back then), and NO RAP MUSIC!  They see Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, religiously-neutral holiday displays instead of manger scenes, and men dressing like WOMEN!  Gay marriage, stem cell research, and condoms in the classrooms are coming!  The America they thought they knew is slipping away from them, and the people yelling loudest in their defense are people like Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly.  While liberals, independents, and reasonable conservatives split their viewership among many different radio stations and tv news programs, these people all go to the same place for theirs.  That's why Fox News has the highest ratings.  It's also dangerous, because all these people watching it are being spoonfed stuff like this, and they vote accordingly.  The more guys like O'Reilly keep their following, the more people out there will be voting on their belief that god causes the tides, and the more possibility of stifling progress.

I think dogs and little kids have it right:  They don't know about tides, they just wanna play in the water.

terranus

QuoteGuys like this are so popular because there are large numbers of Americans who feel like the America they know is slipping away. These are Americans who are fond of keeping gay marriage illegal, making abortion illegal, and keeping religion in schools as an alternate theory to science. They want to keep American language English, and culture conservative, with pants worn around the waist, teenagers not getting laid (since many of them didn't back then), and NO RAP MUSIC! They see Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, religiously-neutral holiday displays instead of manger scenes, and men dressing like WOMEN! Gay marriage, stem cell research, and condoms in the classrooms are coming! The America they thought they knew is slipping away from them, and the people yelling loudest in their defense are people like Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly. While liberals, independents, and reasonable conservatives split their viewership among many different radio stations and tv news programs, these people all go to the same place for theirs. That's why Fox News has the highest ratings. It's also dangerous, because all these people watching it are being spoonfed stuff like this, and they vote accordingly. The more guys like O'Reilly keep their following, the more people out there will be voting on their belief that god causes the tides, and the more possibility of stifling progress.

Yeah you pretty much just described the vast, and I mean VAST majority of the Florida Panhandle and most other parts of the south.

And it is these people which have caused me to take stands against Social Security, Medicare, Country Buffet/Golden Coral, Hoverounds and pretty much anything else which would prolong their miserable lives any further.  :mad:
Trovas Veron!

fester30

Quote from: "terranus"Yeah you pretty much just described the vast, and I mean VAST majority of the Florida Panhandle and most other parts of the south.

And it is these people which have caused me to take stands against Social Security, Medicare, Country Buffet/Golden Coral, Hoverounds and pretty much anything else which would prolong their miserable lives any further.  :mad:

You leave Golden Corral alone!

terranus

Quote from: "fester30"
Quote from: "terranus"Yeah you pretty much just described the vast, and I mean VAST majority of the Florida Panhandle and most other parts of the south.

You leave Golden Corral alone!

LOL

I must admit Golden Corral has some pretty tasty food for a buffet restaurant, and you really can't beat the price.
Trovas Veron!

fester30

Quote from: "terranus"I must admit Golden Corral has some pretty tasty food for a buffet restaurant, and you really can't beat the price.

Besides, I think we can all agree the most dangerous restaurant to our cause is the Cracker Barrel.  That's where the fundamentalists go to eat and play the game that's a triangular wooden block with holes and pegs.  And if you leave four or more, you're "just plain egg-no-ray-moose."  They hang out at the gift shop for hours before and after dinner because they envision themselves sitting on the front porch in a wooden rocking chair drinking a sun-brewed lemon ice tea with the Oak Ridge Boys on the cd player putting Cracker Barrel Apple Butter on a piece of toast and playing a giant game of checkers while their wives churn butter in the yard.  All this stuff can be made possible by one visit to the Cracker Barrel gift shop.  Come to think of it, I think there may be a double meaning behind "Cracker" Barrel.  I never see minorities there.

terranus

Quote from: "fester30"
Quote from: "terranus"I must admit Golden Corral has some pretty tasty food for a buffet restaurant, and you really can't beat the price.

Besides, I think we can all agree the most dangerous restaurant to our cause is the Cracker Barrel.  That's where the fundamentalists go to eat and play the game that's a triangular wooden block with holes and pegs.  And if you leave four or more, you're "just plain egg-no-ray-moose."  They hang out at the gift shop for hours before and after dinner because they envision themselves sitting on the front porch in a wooden rocking chair drinking a sun-brewed lemon ice tea with the Oak Ridge Boys on the cd player putting Cracker Barrel Apple Butter on a piece of toast and playing a giant game of checkers while their wives churn butter in the yard.  All this stuff can be made possible by one visit to the Cracker Barrel gift shop.  Come to think of it, I think there may be a double meaning behind "Cracker" Barrel.  I never see minorities there.

You know what, you might be right. My super-religious Godfather goes there to eat dinner...um...religiously  lol . And so do my roommate's super-religious parents. Maybe Cracker Barrel turns into some kind of secret fundie meeting place at night after they close? Hmm...
Trovas Veron!

elliebean

Quote from: "terranus"Maybe Cracker Barrel turns into some kind of secret fundie meeting place at night after they close? Hmm...
They don't  have to have meetings; their indoctrination is getting reinforced subliminally while they sit awaiting their orders or browse through all the americana and other faux-nostalgic kitch.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Thumpalumpacus

Fucking Cracker Barrel cheese rocks.  

Also, would you make a joke about that DC alderman complaining about a "niggardly" government?  What's next?  Calling Mexicans "coconuts"?  Oh, never mind, that won't happen.  Mexicans are minorities, after all -- we can't slur them.  

But if the cost of enjoying great extra-sharp cheddar is suffering your little slings, fuck it.  That cheese is better that these stupid "jokes".
Illegitimi non carborundum.

terranus

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Fucking Cracker Barrel cheese rocks.  

Also, would you make a joke about that DC alderman complaining about a "niggardly" government?  What's next?  Calling Mexicans "coconuts"?  Oh, never mind, that won't happen.  Mexicans are minorities, after all -- we can't slur them.  

But if the cost of enjoying great extra-sharp cheddar is suffering your little slings, fuck it.  That cheese is better that these stupid "jokes".

Well now. Someone is in a bad mood. Didn't realize you felt so strongly about cheese, Thump. My apologies for offending you in such an awful manner.  :P
Trovas Veron!

KDbeads

I feel as if I need to come to the aid of said Cracker Barrel ( :hide:
Though on Golden Corral, don't like it, the fundies can keep it, I'd rather have Ryan's or Quincy's and their big fat yeast rolls.  Shit I'd even take PoBoys, are they still open?  Can't remember the name of the road but I can drive straight to it, love their dumplings.  I'd even settle for Hardees or Waffle house, did you know the ones in Pace have my uncle's name on 'his' booth since he's there more than he's home?
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

terranus

Quote from: "KDbeads"I feel as if I need to come to the aid of said Cracker Barrel ( :hide:
Hmm..see that's pretty much the reason I never liked Cracker Barrel's food. Had no spice to it. I put hot sauce on damn near everything. Guess I spent too much time in Louisiana.

QuoteI'd rather have Ryan's or Quincy's and their big fat yeast rolls.
Ryan's was awesome...they used to have on here in town...not anymore though. I used to chow down on their rolls and cream of broccoli soup.

QuoteShit I'd even take PoBoys, are they still open?  Can't remember the name of the road but I can drive straight to it, love their dumplings.
PoBoys on 9th Ave is no longer open, unfortunately. They closed a few years back. Now it's a 4.99 All-U-Can-Eat Chinese Buffet!!

QuoteI'd even settle for Hardees or Waffle house, did you know the ones in Pace have my uncle's name on 'his' booth since he's there more than he's home?
I'll have to check that waffle house out for myself next time I drive through Pace.  :)
Trovas Veron!