News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Bible and Paul (Split)

Started by LoneMateria, December 31, 2010, 04:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Voter"
Quote from: "LoneMateria"Sure.  We are referring to the apocalypse and specifically Jesus being an apocalyptic preacher.  You stated that Paul claims the current age was kept secret by God.  In the context of your post this means that the apocalypse will come later and that no one can know when that is.  This is a pretty common position by  Christians today because every prediction that has ever been made has so far been wrong.  The reason I quoted Mark 9:1 is because that was Jesus speaking.  In his own view not everyone in his audience will die before the apocalypse happens/kingdom of God comes into power.  This was what he supposedly said 2,000 years ago.  Still hasn't happened and Paul is trying to find a work around
There's a number of problems with this.

First, Mark 9:1 simply says some will see the kingdom of god. Many take the very next verses - the transfiguration - as fulfilment. Personally I lean toward John and Revelation as fulfilment. There are other passages which would be stronger on your side, but they'll give you other problems.

Next, Paul wasn't "trying to find a work around" unless you admit he's prophetic, as those mentioned in Mark 9:1 and elsewhere hadn't all died yet. Further, you would need a very early date of writing of Mark or a very strong oral tradition, otherwise there's nothing for him to "work around" at the time of writing.

QuoteIn that passage it does not once refer to the Messiah.  Do you have another example?
I think the messianic interpetation of Isaiah 53 is best, but that should be pursued in another thread.

Another passage is Zechariah 12:10 and surrounding verses.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Voter

Quote from: "An anonymous atheist poster here"Your world view is your world view. If you keep it to yourself then I don't really care what it is. Trouble is you won't keep it to yourself and that's fine too. But if you won't keep your beliefs to yourself you have no right, no right whatsoever, not to have your world view bashed. You make your wo

Gawen

Yeah, I'm waiting too. Voter, send him a PM to rustle him up.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor