News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Why Religious People Are Scared of Atheists

Started by Whitney, December 22, 2010, 08:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"Back to the topic then.

Once again I'll state.  I'm not afraid of Atheists.  I rather enjoy the circular chit-chat.  The Atheist will always win every debate because he/she has logic and science on their side.
I'm growing suspicious of your flattery. :-)
Don't be suspicious.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"
Quote from: "Sophus"

Once again I'll state.  I'm not afraid of Atheists.  I rather enjoy the circular chit-chat.  The Atheist will always win every debate because he/she has logic and science on their side.
I'm growing suspicious of your flattery. :-)
Don't be suspicious.
I'm suspicious of your statement telling Sophus not to be suspicious.

TheJackel

Actually, circular chit-chat just makes you out to be an ass, and you should think about that when you engage people in discussions or arguments. It's a very poor form of discourse, especially when it's done by intention. These types of things are typically used as deflections, avoidance tools, change of subject, or a very poor attempt to flip the argument around as if it were relevant when it clearly isn't. And that is why you failed completely here. I know how that game is played, and I used to use those kinds of tactics and arguments all the time as a Christian. This kind of crap had been engraved and taught to me since I was a child. Well up till the point where I read a few books on the mechanics of brainwashing and subliminal programming to where I took a few steps back to actually observe my life and religion. I did that with not only my religion, but just about everything from general advertisements, to News Media, propaganda, and politics. If you read my post on "Religious Brainwashing: How it's done", you will quickly learn where I stand, and why.

Now when it comes to winning debates with logic, reason, rationality, or if applicable science, that is how real honest debates are won. That is how you engage people. If you can't do that, you become worthless intellectually within a debate, argument, or discussion. Sadly many theists simply don't care about that since it is all about defense their religious ideological constructs at all costs. This is even if it means being intellectually dishonest. So if you don't want to get into arguments where you feel you are in a defensive position in regards to your beliefs or faith, don't come to forums such as this one and engage in discussions that will obviously result in doing so. It's like the first thing that goes out the window when engaging some theists is honest discourse. :shake:

Whitney

Jackel, perhaps I am wrong, but I thought AD was joking with us about the circular comment.

TheJackel

Quote from: "Whitney"Jackel, perhaps I am wrong, but I thought AD was joking with us about the circular comment.

I would have thought so or taken it as such if he hadn't actually used such arguments. :shake:

Cycel

Quote from: "Baggy"I'm not sure atheists are generally any better educated or intelligent than people of faith. There are a lot of pretty clever 'believers' as well as a load of dumb ones! perhaps not quite so many poorly educated atheists?..not sure.
I wonder if in the process of trying to figure out whether there is a God many atheists tend to self-educate.  Many Christians who hold those more extreme views, on the other hand, being convinced of their views simply don't take the time to educate themselves.  Just a thought.  If so then there might be a growing number of atheists, born to atheist parents, who take 'no God' for granted and don't bother to educate themselves in the matter.  Anyone noticed this?

Cycel

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"... I've not actually met a "demon" Atheist in the sense of a person that actually hates any and all Christians or pokes fun at every turn.
I think I have encountered them, but they are few in number.  My approach is typically one of reasoned and friendly discussion though twice I've been compared to Satan in my use of beguiling words.  One woman thought my words reminded her of those spoken by the serpent in Genesis.  Others warned that I seemed under the influence of Satan or other demons.

TheJackel

Quote from: "Cycel"
Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"... I've not actually met a "demon" Atheist in the sense of a person that actually hates any and all Christians or pokes fun at every turn.
I think I have encountered them, but they are few in number.  My approach is typically one of reasoned and friendly discussion though twice I've been compared to Satan in my use of beguiling words.  One woman thought my words reminded her of those spoken by the serpent in Genesis.  Others warned that I seemed under the influence of Satan or other demons.

I would like to add that just because he meets some jerk that pokes fun or teases his beliefs system does not mean that it should be some kind of generalization of a group. Not all Christians or Atheists are jerks or people looking to play those social dogmatic games. Such games as equivocating people to Demons, evil, nuts, or fanatics.. And I do believe Cycel that you are talking about a taught system called "Christian Realism", as to where anything non-Christian is  demonic, evil, satanic, blasphemous, a child rapist, murderer ect. Not all Churches or religious people go around teaching this, but many theists learn this from more extreme groups online. It's those kinds of elements that make religion inherently open to extremism to where they become intent on theocracy, and become dangerous. There is a very good reason why I tell people that they need read books on the mechanics of brainwashing, and subliminal programming.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "TheJackel"There is a very good reason why I tell people that they need read books on the mechanics of brainwashing, and subliminal programming.
Sounds like an interesting subject. Any recommendations?

TheJackel

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"
Quote from: "TheJackel"There is a very good reason why I tell people that they need read books on the mechanics of brainwashing, and subliminal programming.
Sounds like an interesting subject. Any recommendations?

Yes I do :)

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwashing-Scie ... 0192804960

http://www.amazon.com/Combatting-Cult-M ... pd_sim_b_5

http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Programming- ... pd_sim_b_2

And do realize that these kinds of books not only help you recognize and evaluate such things in religion, but they help you really understand things used in advertising, propaganda, politics, and even in general. The books above are amongst my favorites and they do a pretty good job of explaining many aspects of brainwashing and subliminal programming.

And I am about to read this:
http://www.shrink4men.com/2010/11/02/pa ... inwashing/

And here is my own little article on the subject:

http://www.atheistforums.com/religious- ... 21322.html