News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Landover Baptist Church

Started by Shalo'zier, June 24, 2007, 06:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shalo'zier

"The Internet was created by the United States of America - a Christian nation - and should not be used to spread anti-Christian, secular, or non-Christian propaganda and hatespeech. This is our Internet, and we should exercise our position as its owners and as the guardians of civilization to stop its misuse.
“It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ.”
- Patrick Henry, American Patriot
“Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord [i.e. Jesus Christ] one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth In Witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names...”
- Article VII, US Constitution

For this reason, this website was created to try and stop one of the more vile and dangerous misuses of the Internet: using it to mock Our Lord Jesus Christ, His teachings, and His followers. And one site in particular stands out in need of stoppage: Landover Baptist."

This is the idea that seems to be the backbone of Landover Baptist.

They have a forum, in which they regularly spread hate speach, racial slurs, sexist remarks against women, and claimes to do it all in the name of "God."

I've joined the forum, and have been giving, what I believe to be the atheist side to their acusations of some of their claims about "Creation Science."

You register, then within a week, a moderator gives you the okay to start posting.

From what I've seen, there are more "Unsaved Trash" on the board then there are actual church members.

My thinking is that if we're able to over run them with arguements using science and factual evidence, then we'd be able to enlighten them a little about the world in which they share with the rest of humanity and nature.

"Chink, negro, athein, moodblud, mooselim, joo."

They seem to lack common decency to use politically correct speach, or to spell things correctly.

The link to the forum is here.

And yeah, I realise I may be a jackass for joining JUST to argue against them.
Join The Hallway, and enjoy the most random place this side of the Transformer Fanlisting site.

Squid

There are more "unsaved trash" because Landover Baptist is a parody site - it's not real.  The guy who started it is an atheist.  I have actually seen evangelical christians unwittingly reference that site to support their claims and ideas - now, that's scary.

Here's the wikipedia article on the site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landover_Baptist_Church

I'd also wager to say that the mods on the forums are simply playing their roles - which actually can serve as a decent way to learn more about the issues being discussed with someone constantly playing the role of the creationist.

Will

ROFL...we win by default.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Reasoner

Early in my internet atheist travels, I discovered Landover. I found it to be one of the funniest religious parodies anywhere.

It is utterly delightful that some theists take it to be real. It seemed such an obvious over the top parody to me that I did not even conceive of the idea that unwitting believers would "join in". :D
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it."- Lily Tomlin

Shalo'zier

They seem to take it really serious, above all, they know their scriptures.

XD

Why didn't I think to wiki them though.

DARN I'm stupid.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Join The Hallway, and enjoy the most random place this side of the Transformer Fanlisting site.

Reasoner

Quote from: "Shalo'zier"They seem to take it really serious, above all, they know their scriptures.

XD

Why didn't I think to wiki them though.

DARN I'm stupid.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time.
I don't see a shred of evidence that you're stupid, Shalo'zier. Your reaction to their site just means they're getting better and better at their craft. All the more fun for us skeptics!
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it."- Lily Tomlin

skeptigirl

Hey, Shalo'zier, I thought it was real when I first saw it. And I don't think I'm stupid. It's just a very well done site and it fools a lot of people.

Welcome to the forum if I haven't said so already. :D

SteveS

I like spoof sites.  OBJECTIVE: Ministries is a particular favorite of mine.  In sort of a "play within the play" they have a dedicated page calling for the shutdown of Landover Baptist (hehehe): http://www.objectiveministries.org/shutdown/.

Now that's just plain funny!

Tom62

I'm not a fan of spoof sites, especially when even intelligent people can't tell them apart from real sites. Even if these sites are not for real they are sending out a message that it is great to be a fundamentalist looney to the weak-minded. I want religious fundamentalism to stop. These spoof sites are in that respect highly uneffective and even counterproductive.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SteveS

Interesting commentary, Tom62.  I guess I never thought of them that way.

I think what I like about them is that to me, they prove to be a powerful practical demonstration of how you can be manipulated and controlled if you are too credulous.  For every fundie they fool, they seem to be making the point that failure to think critically will cause you to behave foolishly.  Or so runs my interpretation.

But I do take your point (shrugs).