News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

TSA Love 'em, hate 'em, just don't care?

Started by McQ, November 20, 2010, 06:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Since this affects anyone flying within, or out of the US, is timely, and erodes civil rights, thought it would be a place for discussion. In case you live under a rock and hadn't heard, the US Transportation Safety Admin has instituted new, squishy rules for screening airline passengers. Basically, we get multi-doses of radiation so they can see under our clothes, or a nice, gate-rape pat down.

What do you all think? Also interested to hear from those in other countries, especially if you already have this in place.

Lastly, there is a totally NOT SAFE FOR WORKphoto/cartoon attached here. Don't click on the spoiler unless you want to see two big dicks. It's the head of the TSA explaining his favorite pastime during a news conference. Saw it and thought it was funny.

[spoiler:31amak3o][/spoiler:31amak3o]

I'll bet that bastard has never had to undergo the indignity that he has so casually forced on Americans.

Fucker.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Will

It's security theater, a play being put on by mock security in order to give people the illusion of safety. The TSA could no more stop a clever and devoted terrorist than I could stop a missile with my bare hands. The security measures in place now are a cruel joke, totally unnecessary and a significant violation of rights.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Asmodean

There is HAIRY BALLS in that spoiler!  :rant: You should know better!  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

McQ

I don't know about you guys, but I think Janet Napolitano is looking kind of longingly at what is in Pistole's hands.

Sorry for the severe trauma, Asmodean. It is brutal, isn't it? Yuck!
 :D
--Penn Jillette

McQ

Quote from: "Will"It's security theater, a play being put on by mock security in order to give people the illusion of safety. The TSA could no more stop a clever and devoted terrorist than I could stop a missile with my bare hands. The security measures in place now are a cruel joke, totally unnecessary and a significant violation of rights.

So sadly true, Will.
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean

Quote from: "McQ"I don't know about you guys, but I think Janet Napolitano is looking kind of longingly at what is in Pistole's hands.
She certainly wants it...  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sophus

The TSA has never caught a terrorist. Ever.

Although I have to concede that no one has the right to fly, this seems really wrong to me. What are the legal issues involved here? Are there any lawyers blogging about this? Horrible stories like this, where a cancer survivor leaves TSA pat-down crying, humiliated, and covered in urine, should be able to help fight the bastards.

On the bright side, this TSA nonsense makes for wonderful comedy sketches.  :D
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "McQ"
Quote from: "Will"It's security theater, a play being put on by mock security in order to give people the illusion of safety. The TSA could no more stop a clever and devoted terrorist than I could stop a missile with my bare hands. The security measures in place now are a cruel joke, totally unnecessary and a significant violation of rights.

So sadly true, Will.

All illusion works on this principle:

[youtube:1hqcwowb]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE[/youtube:1hqcwowb]
Illegitimi non carborundum.

joeactor

Agreed all around.

The draconian choice of being felt up vs. irradiated is no choice at all... and I for one am unconvinced that it does anything to increase our security as a nation.

The scanners can detect items strapped to the outside of the body, but don't penetrate the soft tissue (and may concentrate radiation on the skin).
They would most likely miss a chuck of C-4 shoved up a terrorist's ass.

Just think how many bomb-sniffing dogs we could get for the price of just one of those future-cancer-machines...

The TSA says they're completely safe - this coming from the same government that had us "duck and cover" under wooden desks to protect us from radiation.

I'm pretty sure the TSA's entire research into the effectiveness of this tech only involved watching "Total Recall":

Time to start looking at real estate (on Mars).

Thumpalumpacus

The answer seems pretty clear to me:

1) A massive refusal to submit to the scanning. Of course, we'd have to accept the delays, at least initially.
2) When [strike:3on50wbu]grop[/strike:3on50wbu] -- er, "patted down", make noises of sexual satisfaction.  This takes chutzpah because these are required to be same-sex searches, but well worth it:
3) Make a video and post it on www .GayGovernment. com or some such site specifically created for this issue, competing for a prize.
4) ???????
5) Profit!

The Magic Pudding

So Osama has succeeded in irradiating huge numbers of affluent Americans.
He didn't even have to pay any Russians or Pakistanis.
He must be very happy.

joeactor

Sophus

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"The answer seems pretty clear to me:

1) A massive refusal to submit to the scanning. Of course, we'd have to accept the delays, at least initially.
2) When grop -- er, "patted down", make noises of sexual satisfaction. This takes chutzpah because these are required to be same-sex searches, but well worth it:
3) Make a video and post it on www .GayGovernment. com or some such site specifically created for this issue, competing for a prize.
4) ???????
5) Profit!

Or how about nude protests? Or, erm... does that defeat the point?  :D
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

And Hillary was on the Sunday talkies laughing, saying she'd avoid them if she could.

Coupla things come to mind:

1) The Sec'y of State has her own goddamned airplane.  This isn't an issue for her, really; she'll just fly to the AFB nearest her home or vacation of choice, taking some Kuwaiti culture minister along to give the patina of "business."
2) If they're searching a Sec'y of State, who presumably was vetted before the job, doesn't that show a waste of resources?
3) Where the hell are the Teabaggers now, if they're so concerned about individual rights?

McQ

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"And Hillary was on the Sunday talkies laughing, saying she'd avoid them if she could.

Coupla things come to mind:

1) The Sec'y of State has her own goddamned airplane.  This isn't an issue for her, really; she'll just fly to the AFB nearest her home or vacation of choice, taking some Kuwaiti culture minister along to give the patina of "business."
2) If they're searching a Sec'y of State, who presumably was vetted before the job, doesn't that show a waste of resources?
3) Where the hell are the Teabaggers now, if they're so concerned about individual rights?

Yeah, she got a kick out of this. Apparently a lot of people in government positions are out of touch with ordinary citizens. Ain't it shocking?

And, much as I think the far right is spooky, I have heard lots of protests by tea party people (I'm surrounded by 'em). Might be something nearly everybody agrees on. Hard to believe it.
--Penn Jillette