News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hello from a British non-believer

Started by sillybilly, November 19, 2010, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sillybilly

Hello Non- believers everywhere. Always happy to chat with fellow sceptics - especially Americans as some of the religious fundamentalism Stateside is a bit scary  :eek2:

Ihateyoumike

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, sillybilly.

I agree that it seems like the US is sometimes walking on a tightrope, and that if certain elements, personified by such luminaries as Sarah Palin and Christine O'Donnell came into power, there might be serious attempts to turn it into a sort of theocracy.  While a sizable minority of the US is evangelical (I've seen estimates as high as 40%), only a portion of those are the non compos mentis fundamentalists.  That group tends to be pretty vocal, and their imbecilic babblings draw a disproportionate amount of attention, so they seem more prominent than they really are.  Still, if they convince enough people that the country needs to "turn to (their interpretation of) God," then there would be very unpleasant consequences, so they bear watching.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here. :cool:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

The Magic Pudding

Hello sillybilly.

My mother used to call me that sometimes, or a boof head if I was being particularly dumb.
Is silly billy used in the same way all over?

Thumpalumpacus

Hi there.  The fundy cause in America is waning, worry not.  Slowly, to be sure, but it is in decline, and I think that will continue, barring a disaster of historic proportions.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tank

Hi sillybilly

Welcome aboard

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Welcome!

Be advised, sins are being comitted all over this place  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

hunterman317

Welcome. I'm looking forward to chatting with you. =)
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence~
Bertrand Russell

The Government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian religion~
John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

Pray. Maybe the aliens will hear you~