News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

When was proverbs written?

Started by Nergel, June 03, 2007, 07:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nergel

Proverbs 8:27 "When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:"
How the hell did it know about the compass?, the Compass was an invention that didnt reach the Mediterranean until the 13th Century CE

tacoma_kyle

Maybe a compas as in a drawing tool?

Who knows what the fuck they were talking about, probably a misinterpretation or some shit. But likely not any 'compass' we know of; seeing as it wouldn't make any sense anyway.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

pjkeeley

QuoteHow the hell did it know about the compass?
WHOAH SPOOKY LOL.
[/sarcasm]
QuoteMaybe a compas as in a drawing tool?
Probably, compasses for drawing arcs have been around forever. That would make more sense in the context; "he set a compass upon the face of the depth".

Nergel

OK. But seriously, when was it written. They say it was written before christianity. But who wrote it and when?, Paul?

pjkeeley

QuoteOK. But seriously, when was it written. They say it was written before christianity. But who wrote it and when?, Paul?
Is this really the right place to be asking that question? Even Bible scholars don't know the answer so you're not going to get a satisfying response out of a bunch of atheists who couldn't care less.  :wink:

People mostly think it was written around the time of King Solomon. So around 900 BC.

SteveS

Quote from: "Nergel"Proverbs 8:27 "When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth:"
How the hell did it know about the compass?, the Compass was an invention that didnt reach the Mediterranean until the 13th Century CE

Wouldn't the best way to resolve this ambiguity about the word "compass" be to look up what this phrase was translated from?  In others words, go back to the original language, not the English translation.

That's my advice - I'm not going to go look it up because I am one of the "bunch of atheists who couldn't care less" that pjkeeley was talking about  :wink:  .  Plus I'm lazy by nature.  And I can't read Hebrew.  And I spent too much time screwing around on the Internet already today (which probably won't stop me - my wife thinks I'm paying bills right now).