News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Matt, November 08, 2010, 02:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

I've been browsing a lot of atheist sites lately.  I'm fifteen and my parents are both very Christian, but fortunately not fundamentalist.  I became an atheist last summer, and since then I've felt a lot better about myself.  I used to feel extremely guilty, but not anymore.  I haven't told my parents because I don't think they would take the news very well, so my whole social life is still very Christian-centric.  I have to attend church every week and I go to a Christian school (though that will change next year; they won't mind my request to attend a public school).  I think that normally I would feel very alone, but thanks to the internet I've been able to talk to people without hiding my beliefs.

As for other aspects of my life:  I'm used to not be very social.  Recently I have, for some unfathomable reason, come to love talking to people.  I was a real introvert.  I hated parties, being around people, camp, etc., but now I can't get enough of it.  I'm still not a very good conversationalist, but I'm getting better.  I love to read (I've moved from primarily reading books to primarily browsing forums).  I like science, electronics, computers, science fiction, radio, and I love debates.  I live in suburbia, but I'd really like to move to a big city.  I can't wait for college.

Hopefully that's a fairly good brief introduction to myself.

The Magic Pudding

Welcome Matt.
Nice dinosaur, I wish I was alive a few thousand years ago so I could have seen one.

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Welcome Matt.
Nice dinosaur, I wish I was alive a few thousand years ago so I could have seen one.
Riding T-Rexes  :pop: Must have been an exciting time, with talking snakes and giant reptiles and the flood and the burning bush and the miracles and the jew on a cross and...  :)  You name it, they had it.  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Hi Matt

Great introduction. I sort of 'grew up' around 14/15 a little like you. In my case it took the form of taking responsibility for my school work. At some point you may wish to discus your new world view with your parents, when you do you may want to consider this thread as a starting point. viewtopic.php?p=69387#p69387 But don't do it unless you are fully comfortable telling your parents will not impact on your education. I can not tell you how important the next 5 years education will be to you. Don't get sucked into forums, they have there place but are very addictive and can become compulsive. And don't give up on books!

Welcome aboard

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Matt

I thought about it for weeks and finally ended up deciding not to tell them until I'm out of the house, at least.  I still read plenty of books, just not as much as before.

wildfire_emissary

Hey Matt! Welcome to HAF!
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Tank

Quote from: "'Matt'"I thought about it for weeks and finally ended up deciding not to tell them until I'm out of the house, at least.  I still read plenty of books, just not as much as before.
Sensible lad, on both counts  :headbang:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jadelicosner89

welcome, if you would not mind matt, how did your parents react to this decision you made? just wondering..  :yay: