News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What do you think of Scientology?

Started by WeAreLegion, June 01, 2007, 01:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeAreLegion

As a devout Scientologist, I'm just wondering why lots of people criticize Scientology. I simply don't understand. We're just a religion, not a "cult", and I don't understand why people hate Scientology so. Now, Christianity I can understand, but Scientology? I'm perfectly happy with my religion, and it's brought me a lot of happiness.

I'm not trolling or raiding, I'm an actual user, and I'm just quite curious about this.

Squid

All religions start out as cults.  Most of the criticisms I've heard are in line with some other sects such as JWs - people seem to have a cutoff from family members if that is what the program dictates and things such as this - separation and isolation, erection of barriers instead of tearing them down and the like.  Like other religions there is much that has no hold on reality or can be evidence and must be taken on faith - this is why I don't understand the incoporation of "Science" into the name of a religion - another would be "Christian Science" - they reject the germ theory of disease.

I still maintain that the contempt for psychiatry/psychology stems from Hubbard's bad experience with a psychotherapist in the 50's.  That's where I clash most with scientologists who take the hardline against the brain sciences - some of the only specifically target psychiatry and some generalize it to all brain sciences - psychiatry, psychology, neurology, neuroscience et cetera.

Out of curiosity - why Scientology?  Why any religion for that matter?

WeAreLegion

Because, well, Scientology just seems.. right. I can't describe it, but it brings me pleasure.

Squid

Sex brings me pleasure but I'm not dedicating my life to it.

So that is what has led you to accept Scientology doctrine?  It is pleasurable?  I mean, out of all religions there are and all the beliefs you can hold - why is Scientology better than those or what makes its doctrine true and other's false?  Just trying to understand your reasoning.

McQ

Of course "WeAreLegion" is a troll. Are you kidding me?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

tacoma_kyle

Depends who you talk to will result into different reasons. Squid has a different view from most.

Other religions will likely dislike it because it new and 'how can you believe it, its so dumb.' Its new, and outta the normal scope of religion now days so they feel confident that it is BS. Unfortunitely they dont realize the hypocracy...

If a major polytheistic religion cam into play again the same would happen.

I think it is safe to say most atheists dont care for it any more or less than any other religion.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

Piemaster

I don't think there is any difference between a religion and a cult.  A religion is just a cult that has gotten popular enough to achieve mainstream acceptance.  A cult is just a religion that hasn't yet caught on.

tacoma_kyle

Mostly yeah.

The term cult tends to be applied to more radical beliefs and behavior.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

joeactor

Quote from: "Piemaster"I don't think there is any difference between a religion and a cult.  A religion is just a cult that has gotten popular enough to achieve mainstream acceptance.  A cult is just a religion that hasn't yet caught on.
Yeppers, I agree.

As one who has visited the "Celebrity Center" (Scientology stronghold in Hollywood), I can tell you a few things.

First, the methods are very straight forward repetitive conditioning.  (or brainwashing, if you prefer that term).  I definitely can appreciate that they are very up front about wanting your money so they can "clear" you... or at least "clear" your bank account.  I still have some of the booklets - scary stuff.  They've also tried to cross the line into medicine with the E-Meter and got smacked around by the gub-ment.  (why do religions all want to have science behind them?)

Operation Clambake's page is dead on about a lot of what goes on there.

As a former Roman Catholic, it was easy for me to say "Oh, no... You're not gonna get me with any of this - I've seen this trick before!" (viola!  your money is gone!)

Just my opinion (but I'm always right),
JoeActor

donkeyhoty

They'll be following you soon, Joe.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

joeactor

Quote from: "donkeyhoty"They'll be following you soon, Joe.
Oh, c'mon!  You don't really think that th... hang on, someone's at the door...

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Squid"Sex brings me pleasure but I'm not dedicating my life to it.

That's only because you have a ginormous brain.

Think about it...   :wink:

bearvshark

What I find interesting is that you are following a religion started by a science fiction author..........do I need to say anymore?

D