News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Why give "God" the credit...

Started by GAYtheist, October 13, 2010, 11:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAYtheist

...for your hard work? I understand that you believe in something higher than yourself, and I'm not about to take that away from you, but you've worked too hard to give the credit to something that, to my personal understanding, probably doesn't exist. Even if he does exist, I don't think he did anything that great anyway. As an Atheist, the way I see it is like this.

If God is so great, why let this happen anyway? I have had a few responses to this.

1) He gave us free will. OK, wonderful, we have free will, unless our free will is tossed aside by someone else for their enjoyment.

2) It was a test. Any being that would test a living human with this kind of pain, I do not want to exist anyway.

3) He does not give you anything you can't handle. Sorry, I wake up every morning feeling I can't handle this. The fact that I do, I feel, says more about me personally, than anything else.

I live next to a church, I see news everyday about religion's fight to remove my rights, or to keep me from attaining my rights because I happen to be gay. I have been told by church officials that I need to forgive my brother. Fuck. That. Shit. No, I am an Atheist, I am Anti-Theist, and while I may not be entirely happy with my life as I see it, I am damned happy with the result of my struggles, and God gets no credit in that.

Thanks for listening to my little rant.
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

TheWilliam

Thumpalumpacus

It occurs to me also that if we have free will, then assigning credit to any god(s) is fallacious.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Cite134

The credibility of "God's help" is actually the starting point where I began to doubt its existence  :shake: .
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Thumpalumpacus

It came to me one day that since I cannot sense "god" that crediting either god or myself is equally reasonable.  That was a good-sized step, for me, not that I exclude other causes for events in my life.  But to give an invisible entity the credit struck me as silly, as it still does.

Sophus

Most of the Christians I know think atheists are arrogant for not giving God credit for anything. I think it's disrespectful of them to give God credit for everything. Like when the last Chile miner was rescued today someone said "Praise God!" What about the people who worked their ass off to save them? At the dinner table: "Thank you for this meal, Lord." What about the person who cooked and prepared it? And if you ever have an impressive skill they say, "you have a God given gift." No actually, I worked really hard for years and years to be able to do what I do. But thanks for the "compliment".
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"Most of the Christians I know think atheists are arrogant for not giving God credit for anything. I think it's disrespectful of them to give God credit for everything. Like when the last Chile miner was rescued today someone said "Praise God!" What about the people who worked their ass off to save them? At the dinner table: "Thank you for this meal, Lord." What about the person who cooked and prepared it? And if you ever have an impressive skill they say, "you have a God given gift." No actually, I worked really hard for years and years to be able to do what I do. But thanks for the "compliment".

Indeed.  False modesty is the worst sort.

TheWilliam

if there was a god,

why should the christians give him (good) credit.

he's the one always asking them for money.  10 percent I believe.

Sophus

The pastor I know thinks since God is suppose to be credited with everything we have he is also the owner of all those things, so that when he "asks" you to give something away you're not suppose to put a fight like "but - but - I worked for that." Nope, it's his. It's interesting that he also thinks Capitalism is all that and a bad of chips yet Marxist Communism is the devil. lol
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

TheWilliam

Quotehe is also the owner of all those things

so this nigga wants ten percent of what's already his?

and at the same time, wants you to give it to somebody else......... but it's still his?

the company that published the bible should have hired better editors.

there's major continuity issues.

I think Diablo Cody and Martin Scorsese should collaborate on the new Bible.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"The pastor I know thinks since God is suppose to be credited with everything we have he is also the owner of all those things ....

It's a pity they don't explore the implications of this idea viz. ethical responsibility.

ug333

"God helps those who help themselves". I always heard this phrase as sarcastic, but I think a lot of people believe it.

They don't seem to see the stupidity there.

madness

I've always wondered how people can ignore the reverse - God should be given credit for people being stupid or getting screwed.

I have one close friend that is very Christian.  He's always thanking God for various things.  I've kept my mouth shut in order to keep the relationship, but sometimes it's difficult.  The worst was when Hurricane Ike nearly hit his house.  He was evacuated up here to our place.  When he finally got the news that nothing was damaged, he clasped his hands, looked skyward and said "Thank you God - you are always looking out for me."  Ugh.  i wanted to ask if God also got credit for killing other people in the storm.  Guess they were sinners...

Sophus

Quote from: "madness"I've always wondered how people can ignore the reverse - God should be given credit for people being stupid or getting screwed.

I have one close friend that is very Christian.  He's always thanking God for various things.  I've kept my mouth shut in order to keep the relationship, but sometimes it's difficult.  The worst was when Hurricane Ike nearly hit his house.  He was evacuated up here to our place.  When he finally got the news that nothing was damaged, he clasped his hands, looked skyward and said "Thank you God - you are always looking out for me."  Ugh.  i wanted to ask if God also got credit for killing other people in the storm.  Guess they were sinners...
Apparently it's as simple as good=God, bad=Devil. Don't know how that factors into the whole omnipotence, omnipresence deal though. Or the fact that he would have allowed the Devil to start the hurricane (which he only permits from June 1st to November 30th).  lol

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Sophus"Don't know how that factors into the whole omnipotence, omnipresence deal though.

It cannot.  Omnipotence, omnibenevolence, and evil are incompatible.