News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Howdy from Texas...

Started by madness, October 13, 2010, 06:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madness

Hey folks, just stumble across this place and thought I would join up.  I'm a regular on a few other forums but one of them is decidedly fundie Christian so it's nice to relax with more like-minded folks!

I grew up secular.  My parents didn't really much talk to us about religion and I was never interested in it until I went to an Episcopalian private school at age 14.  Been a proclaimed atheist since!  My entire immediate family is atheist and about half of my extended family is.  My husband's immediate family also is.  So no pressure from the grandparents to get the kids baptized, whew!  Also, as I work in a scientific field, all of my coworkers are of the non-religious variety.  I feel 'blessed' (hehehe) to live in such a situation!

I vacillate between being entirely intolerant of organized religion and having a 'live and let live' attitude.  Lately I've been much more intolerant as more and more religion is being pushed down my throat (through laws, schools, my obnoxious neighbors, etc.).  Growing up, I guess I was sheltered from religion but now that I'm out on my own and trying to raise my own family, I see the pressure to conform.  It disgusts me in a lot of ways and I want to be an advocate for a religious-free lifestyle.

So here I am, connecting with members of that community!

Tank

Welcome madness

To our little oasis of sanity  :D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

PoopShoot

All hail Cancer Jesus!

fleamailman

the goblin welcomes the new member saying "...it's all hush hush actually and I feel I can trust you here, but this site is, in fact, just a front for the "Homeland security service" and their operatives in their ongoing undercover work to root out the threat of cyber terrorism on the Internet...", the goblin paused knowing that it was all too hard to comprehend in one go, but he continued "...simply think about it, which site would you least expect a cyber attack to originate from, that is between some ultra smart nerdy eastern block country, the Taliban's site, the Nigerian spamming site, well any of those types of sites on the one hand, and well, just somewhere like this site here then, where the members can, and do, manage to hit the "post" button from time to time, so that's right then, the members here are really ultra sharp "Homeland security" operatives only pretending to be otherwise, very snide of them I know but in fact they're probably the best America has..."

Whitney

Hi...I'm in Dallas.  Fyi, the Texas Freethought Convention is going back to Austin in 2012.

Did you happen to attend the Dallas convention...and if so, Did we meet?  I think I was the only whitney there.

madness

Thanks for the welcomes, all!

Unfortunately Whitney, I was unable to attend the convention.  I did seriously consider it but having a 6 month old that wants to be permanently attached to my boob right now kinda put a damper on those plans.  :crazy:

PoopShoot

Quote from: "madness"I did seriously consider it but having a 6 month old that wants to be permanently attached to my boob right now kinda put a damper on those plans.  :crazy:
I seriously doubt an atheist convention would be a place where people would be offended by you suckling your offspring.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

madness

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "madness"I did seriously consider it but having a 6 month old that wants to be permanently attached to my boob right now kinda put a damper on those plans.  :crazy:
I seriously doubt an atheist convention would be a place where people would be offended by you suckling your offspring.

Though they might not like the ear-splitting screams of an infant that is bored of listening to a lecture...!

PoopShoot

Quote from: "madness"Though they might not like the ear-splitting screams of an infant that is bored of listening to a lecture...!
That's easy, just shake vigorously until she's quiet.

:hide:
All hail Cancer Jesus!

TheWilliam

yo madness, you rap don't you?

or at least breakdance.

I'm getting a hip hop vibe.

Whitney

Quote from: "madness"Unfortunately Whitney, I was unable to attend the convention.  I did seriously consider it but having a 6 month old that wants to be permanently attached to my boob right now kinda put a damper on those plans.  :crazy:

I think you might have been the mother on facebook that Amanda and I were trying to talk into going.  But I agree that it would have made things difficult on you having to leave the room every time baby gets fussy...

Anyway, welcome to HAF.

madness

Ha!  TheWilliam, I'm not hip-anything! :P  That includes not being hip enough even for a facebook page.  Though my husband claims he created a fake one for me so no one would know how lame his wife is...

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "madness"That includes not being hip enough even for a facebook page.
Good for you.  Facebook is a plague.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Squid

Hola fellow Texan - there's actually quite a few Texans on here....we should have a Texas meetup or something....that would be cool...anyhow, welcome and stuff from your friendly neighborhood Squid in south Texas.