News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Survay:Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion

Started by Will, September 28, 2010, 08:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: "Sophus"I got all but one. Did not know that the Catholics actually think the bread and wine really becomes flesh and blood. That's creepy.
It's called transubstantiation. Person I know who is Catholic is gluten intolerant so can't eat the communion wafers, so she pockets them and gives them to her dog when she gets home  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Sophus"I got all but one. Did not know that the Catholics actually think the bread and wine really becomes flesh and blood. That's creepy.
It's called transubstantiation. Person I know who is Catholic is gluten intolerant so can't eat the communion wafers, so she pockets them and gives them to her dog when she gets home  :D
So she feeds Jesus to her dog?  It's pretty telling that she doesn't really believe it becomes flesh because her excuse isn't that she can't eat meat.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

NearBr0ken

It's disappointing that with our knowledge of biochemistry and molecular chemistry, that a belief akin to alchemy can still survive scrutiny.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "NearBr0ken"It's disappointing that with our knowledge of biochemistry and molecular chemistry, that a belief akin to alchemy can still survive scrutiny.
It's not akin to alchemy.  Alchemy is the transmutation of materials through physical, natural means.  Alchemy actually takes place in the real world, though very differently and by different means than the alchemists thought, in the form of chemical reactions that produce new compounds.  Transubstantiation of the host in catholicism is thought to be purely magical by means of god willing it to happen.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Heretical Rants

I got two wrong, and that still scored me as being in the 97th percentile.

Wow.

DropLogic

heh, so wait...eating his flesh and drinking his blood would make us zombies right?  So its like zombie cannibalism.

dloubet

No, the Catholics eating Jesus' flesh make them cannibals. But since Jesus died and then walked around, he pretty closely fits the definition of zombie. So the Catholics are eating zombie flesh.

Bleah!

Sophus

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "Tank"
It's called transubstantiation. Person I know who is Catholic is gluten intolerant so can't eat the communion wafers, so she pockets them and gives them to her dog when she gets home  roflol This makes me want to take my dog to sunday mass.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Velma

Took the 32 question survey - 32/32.  Pretty basic info for the most part.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

LarryS

couldnt say i was suprised by this. i know a lot more about the bible than my christian friends do :D

Velma

Quote from: "LarryS"couldnt say i was suprised by this. i know a lot more about the bible than my christian friends do :D
It is a bit funny and sad when you can tell them things they don't know about their own holy book or doctrine/theology.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Will

We don't pick and choose what to read. When I read the Bible or the Qur'an or whatever, I don't avoid reading about anything because it might test my faith or whatever. I don't avoid information about other 'faiths', either. I've read the Torah cover to cover, the Bible cover to cover (several versions, in fact), the Qur'an, the Book of Mormon, the Tao Te Ching, the Dhammapada, and the Bhagavad Gita, as well as writings on dead mythology. What Christian can claim the same?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Velma

Quote from: "Will"We don't pick and choose what to read. When I read the Bible or the Qur'an or whatever, I don't avoid reading about anything because it might test my faith or whatever. I don't avoid information about other 'faiths', either. I've read the Torah cover to cover, the Bible cover to cover (several versions, in fact), the Qur'an, the Book of Mormon, the Tao Te Ching, the Dhammapada, and the Bhagavad Gita, as well as writings on dead mythology. What Christian can claim the same?
Not very many, I'm sure.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Will"We don't pick and choose what to read. When I read the Bible or the Qur'an or whatever, I don't avoid reading about anything because it might test my faith or whatever. I don't avoid information about other 'faiths', either. I've read the Torah cover to cover, the Bible cover to cover (several versions, in fact), the Qur'an, the Book of Mormon, the Tao Te Ching, the Dhammapada, and the Bhagavad Gita, as well as writings on dead mythology. What Christian can claim the same?
How has your head not exploded?  I got about 1/4 into the Bible and then  :drool

Will

I read the Bible when I was 11-12 (NIV), then again when I lost my religion (NKJ). Fortunately, other religious texts seem to be much shorter than the Bible.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.