News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Survay:Atheists, agnostics most knowledgeable about religion

Started by Will, September 28, 2010, 08:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notself

Quote from: "Will"I read the Bible when I was 11-12 (NIV), then again when I lost my religion (NKJ). Fortunately, other religious texts seem to be much shorter than the Bible.

The full Buddhist Canon is about the size of 5-6 bibles.  The Dhammapada is just a small section.

Tommo

When I told my mother about this she replied that she'd rather actually know god personally than know "about" religion and the bible...

Will

Quote from: "notself"
Quote from: "Will"I read the Bible when I was 11-12 (NIV), then again when I lost my religion (NKJ). Fortunately, other religious texts seem to be much shorter than the Bible.

The full Buddhist Canon is about the size of 5-6 bibles.  The Dhammapada is just a small section.
Yeah, I've not had a chance to read the whole thing yet. I asked a Buddhist what I should read to get an idea of what Buddhism is and he recommended the Dhammapada.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Will"Yeah, I've not had a chance to read the whole thing yet. I asked a Buddhist what I should read to get an idea of what Buddhism is and he recommended the Dhammapada.
I can barely LIFT the whole thing  :eek:

(No, not really, but I did acquire it and am contemplating starting on it)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

notself

It is really slow reading.  There is a tremendous amount of repetition because sections are often chanted.  When all of the repetitions are included, the canon is around 70 volumes.   :eek:  I would recommend putting the books aside and using the index from Access to Insight.  One can look up a topic and read several suttas pertaining to the topic.  Under Author one can read essays by very well known monks on various topics.  The clearest are by Thanissaro Bhikkhu who is an American monk, abbot of a monastery in San Diego.  

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-subject.html

If you want to read the Dhammapada with traditional stories, here's a link.  http://www.vipassana.info/a.htm#Cakkhupala

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Will"Yeah, I've not had a chance to read the whole thing yet. I asked a Buddhist what I should read to get an idea of what Buddhism is and he recommended the Dhammapada.
I can barely LIFT the whole thing  :eek:

(No, not really, but I did acquire it and am contemplating starting on it)

Well, you've got a leg up, from what I understand; Buddhism is all about comtemplation.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Buddhism is all about comtemplation.
And often about putting a mystical slant on mundane subjects.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

navvelline

Quote from: "Tank"It's called transubstantiation. Person I know who is Catholic is gluten intolerant so can't eat the communion wafers, so she pockets them and gives them to her dog when she gets home  :P

On another note, I find it funny that both Mormons and Jews scored better on the test than the Catholics. The ones I know are always bragging about them being in the "one true church".  :|
Quote"I am so good, I will not stop. Five! Now six. Now seven on top!" - Dr. Seuss
Quote"Well I looked in my moms closet and saw what I was getting for Christmas, an ultravibe pleasure 2000." - Eric Cartman

KebertX

So there was a nation wide survey in America, to gauge the level of Religious knowledge among Americans Apparently, atheists scored highest out of any demographic.

I thought this would be a nice place to preform a little social experiment.  Take this test, post your score, converse.  I'm just interested by the prospect that we know more about religion than the religious.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/index.php

I got an 87%, btw.
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Velma

Quote from: "KebertX"So there was a nation wide survey in America, to gauge the level of Religious knowledge among Americans Apparently, atheists scored highest out of any demographic.

I thought this would be a nice place to preform a little social experiment.  Take this test, post your score, converse.  I'm just interested by the prospect that we know more about religion than the religious.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/index.php

I got an 87%, btw.
Think there's a thread about this already.

Anyway, I made 100%.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

KDbeads

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KebertX

Quote from: "PoopShoot"

Yes. I consider that to be a good thing though  :D
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Tank

Quote from: "KebertX"

That's an interesting comment. If you have the time and inclination I would like to try to understand my.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KebertX

Quote from: "KebertX"

~

Completely unrelated note to the OP: "Survay?!?" Really?  I'm sorry, but I need to point out this spelling FAIL.  For future reference: S - U - R - V - E - Y!

Thumpalumpacus

"Why not" is not a decent reason for me to rearrange my neurons, thanks.  I'm looking for the world the way it is.  Because "why not" carries no burden of proof, it rarely satisfies my curiosity, because rather than "why not?", I ask "why?"
Illegitimi non carborundum.