News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Interested in debating theists via skype (3 debates added!)

Started by yuriythebest, September 27, 2010, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yuriythebest

As the title suggests, I'm interested in passing the time in some friendly debates with theists (can be anything from hard core Christian to deist to Muslim to Misc.). Conversations will be recorded for further review and will be posted on this thread. If you are a friendly person add me to your skype: yuriythebest1 and we'll chat - maybe you'll even change my mind  :)

recorded debates:

Warren Meroney
DEBATES 1,2 (120mb)
zshare.net/download/80839942ce2ba2d2/

Debate 3 with Warren!
You can now listen directly Without downloading
http://www.zshare.net/audio/809119165023eb69/

Whitney

yuriythebest, welcome to HAF.

Since you are new and we have had people posted malicious downloads before I'll ask that you either wait to establish yourself before offering files for downloads so that people can feel a bit safer downloading them or that you upload them as podcasts or embed them online into a player so we don't have to download a .rar file in order to hear them.

yuriythebest

hi! Indeed I have done this at first and posted on soundcloud.com

however, there free accounts are limited to 2 hours of total audio and I went beyond that so only 1 of 4 of my audio tracks now shows:
http://soundcloud.com/yuriythebest/

yuriythebest

yuriythebest

by the way I'd like some advice about debating Warren - in Debate3 he admitted that his logic is circular and to the definition that faith is "irrational belief without reason" - however he then goes on to say that's a GOOD thing and that being rational to make your choices is also circular in a way as he has faith because he has faith because he has faith since being logical/rational/etc to confirm your logic/rationality is also circular in a way. any advice how to go against that?

DropLogic

Quote from: "yuriythebest"by the way I'd like some advice about debating Warren - in Debate3 he admitted that his logic is circular and to the definition that faith is "irrational belief without reason" - however he then goes on to say that's a GOOD thing and that being rational to make your choices is also circular in a way as he has faith because he has faith because he has faith since being logical/rational/etc to confirm your logic/rationality is also circular in a way. any advice how to go against that?
There's no such thing as good irrationality...
You can't argue with it because it is circular.
Basically, don't try to argue crazy.

radicalaggrivation

Quote from: "yuriythebest"by the way I'd like some advice about debating Warren - in Debate3 he admitted that his logic is circular and to the definition that faith is "irrational belief without reason" - however he then goes on to say that's a GOOD thing and that being rational to make your choices is also circular in a way as he has faith because he has faith because he has faith since being logical/rational/etc to confirm your logic/rationality is also circular in a way. any advice how to go against that?

Circular reasoning is a well known and wholly discredited logical fallacy. If the crux of his argument is that rational thought is circular, he is simply trying to equate logical thought with his superstition based reasoning.  To dismiss this argument simply point out that he is limited to the few elements of his circular reasoning.  He also forfeits all of his intellectual credibility by relying on this type of fallacy. You on the other hand can draw from many resources for you reasoning. You do not need one or two elements alone. You can introduce history, science, and common sense into your argument, without needing to limit yourself in the same way that he has. So, no. Your reason is not circular in anyway because you can introduce evidence and arguments outside of your cor
e reasoning. Direct him to look up circular reasoning so that he can understand why admitting to this relinquishment of logic has already lost him the debate.
Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required

Whitney

I think I'd tell him that I am not interested in seriously entertaining the idea that faith is a good way of discovering facts and bid him a good day