News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Non-Believers by Default?

Started by tymygy, September 27, 2010, 05:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tymygy

This question has been stumping christians for as long as I can remember.

What happens when a man is born, and grows up only knowing one religion, Never hearing the name of Christ, dies?

Does god give him a 'get in free' card?

Or is his soul cast into hell for not believing?

Can anyone give me a reasonable answer for this?
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Whitney

The Bible is not clear on that issue and various denominations have each figured out their own answer citing bits and pieces of the Bible for support (or just citing their own self projection of god and making up an answer entirely).  This is why you can't get a straight answer on if someone who has never heard of the "true" god would go straight to hell or get a free pass to heaven.

Most tend to think there is an age of accountability (die before that age, free pass) and those who tend to believe that seem to also be inclined to believe that either A) God makes sure everyone knows him even if they don't call him by the same name or B) Those who don't hear about the Bible get a free pass.  Option A is less problematic for those who then choose to preach; since preaching and believing B is akin to damning people to hell who would have otherwise gotten a free pass.

tymygy

Quote from: "Whitney"The Bible is not clear on that issue and various denominations have each figured out their own answer citing bits and pieces of the Bible for support (or just citing their own self projection of god and making up an answer entirely).  This is why you can't get a straight answer on if someone who has never heard of the "true" god would go straight to hell or get a free pass to heaven.

Most tend to think there is an age of accountability (die before that age, free pass) and those who tend to believe that seem to also be inclined to believe that either A) God makes sure everyone knows him even if they don't call him by the same name or B) Those who don't hear about the Bible get a free pass.  Option A is less problematic for those who then choose to preach; since preaching and believing B is akin to damning people to hell who would have otherwise gotten a free pass.

I've also heard someone say that the bible says "He who does not know the law, is not judged by the law." I've read 90% of the bible, and have asked people who have read the entire thing, no where does it say that. Not once. It doesn't exist.

Another statement I hear alot is, humans do not know, only god knows.

Why bother with being a missionary if the person you'd tell jesus about would get a free pass? It truly doesn't make sense. Those guys in the desert really didn't think things through when they wrote that book...
Quote from: "Tank"The Catholic Church jumped on the Big Bang as if it were a choir boy! .

Tommo

I remember asking my dad something very similar when I was about 18 and "came out" as an atheist.  His answer was ridiculous.  Something about how in every persons lineage there was someone who heard about the true god, and if he rejected it that his offspring through the generations were damned because of it.  I laughed.

tymygy

Quote from: "Tommo"I remember asking my dad something very similar when I was about 18 and "came out" as an atheist.  His answer was ridiculous.  Something about how in every persons lineage there was someone who heard about the true god, and if he rejected it that his offspring through the generations were damned because of it.  I laughed.

I was 16, and I asked the same question. He didn't have an answer, because he's not as devout of a christian as some people I know. But since then I've still not had a good response.

theatheists

QuoteWhat happens when a man is born, and grows up only knowing one religion, Never hearing the name of Christ, dies?

The literal bible says these people are cast away, in a sense they will not be recognized as the faithful in the end times.  However in the Mormon church these people are put in a "Soul Prison" which is a purgatory of sorts where they await the word of god from someone doing God's work on earth.  This is why they baptize themselves as a proxy for the dead up above.  Also the other fact that Jesus said you must be baptized as one of his rule's.
The Atheists  News for "The Atheists". Information.

Tommo

Quote from: "tymygy"
Quote from: "Tommo"I remember asking my dad something very similar when I was about 18 and "came out" as an atheist.  His answer was ridiculous.  Something about how in every persons lineage there was someone who heard about the true god, and if he rejected it that his offspring through the generations were damned because of it.  I laughed.

I was 16, and I asked the same question. He didn't have an answer, because he's not as devout of a christian as some people I know. But since then I've still not had a good response.

You could even take it a step further.  What about people with mental problems such as retardation?  What about babies?  Do they get cast into hell or do they get a free pass?  If they get a free pass how is that fair to the rest of us?

tymygy

Quote from: "theatheists"The literal bible says these people are cast away.

What verse/verses is this?

theatheists

I will continue to look for the cast away verse as I believe it is somewhere where they are discussing bring the word of God to the four corners of the world and the end times.   However I did find these two verses which you can put together to make the same argument.

Matthew 22:29, “Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.”

Revelation 20:11-15, where they will be cast into the eternal “lake of fire” for not responding to the Word of God in this life in faith and trusting Jesus Christ as their personal Savior.

There are also several other places where they speak as it's kinda a problem if you don't know God, regardless of your situation in life.  If you happen to be in a cargo cult never hearing the "good word" then your still up for punishment, and honestly if you wanted to blame someone it's the Missionaries fault for not getting to you in time.
The Atheists  News for "The Atheists". Information.