News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Water-Based 'Artificial Leaf' Produces Electricity

Started by Tank, September 24, 2010, 07:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Mimicking Nature, Water-Based 'Artificial Leaf' Produces Electricity

QuoteScienceDaily (Sep. 24, 2010) â€" A team led by a North Carolina State University researcher has shown that water-gel-based solar devices -- "artificial leaves" -- can act like solar cells to produce electricity. The findings prove the concept for making solar cells that more closely mimic nature. They also have the potential to be less expensive and more environmentally friendly than the current standard-bearer: silicon-based solar cells...

Given the waste products related to the production of conventional silicon solar cells this could be a very important breakthrough.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Will

That's incredible. I might have to be an early adopter on this one.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Dretlin

"Water-Based 'Artificial Leaf' Produces Electricity"

That is a very odd sentence. Interesting article!

Prometheus

This is awsome. I was trying to get a Biochemist buddy of mine to start working with me on a patent for something very similar to this two years ago. He thought i was nuts lol. I posted the link to him. We didn't have the time or resources honestly but i would love to try working on stuff like this as a hobby one day. even if you fail you still had a little fun.
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

Tank

Efficient, Inexpensive Plastic Solar Cells Coming Soon

QuoteScienceDaily (Oct. 11, 2010) â€" Physicists at Rutgers University have discovered new properties in a material that could result in efficient and inexpensive plastic solar cells for pollution-free electricity production...

Added due to comparable subject matter.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DropLogic

We need what Doc Brown had in Back to the Future 2.  The garbage converter.  We need someway to use all this garbage we've amassed.  Could get energy for YEARS from the material stuck in the North Pacific Gyre.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "DropLogic"We need what Doc Brown had in Back to the Future 2.  The garbage converter.  We need someway to use all this garbage we've amassed.  Could get energy for YEARS from the material stuck in the North Pacific Gyre.

There's already an established method: incinerators.

Also, another way is to recover and use the methane produced by landfills.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "DropLogic"We need what Doc Brown had in Back to the Future 2.  The garbage converter.  We need someway to use all this garbage we've amassed.  Could get energy for YEARS from the material stuck in the North Pacific Gyre.

Change one pollution to another meanwhile making them megawatts. I love technology  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

Change one pollution to another meanwhile making them megawatts. I love technology  :pop:
Well...you could technically run the exhaust through water to diffuse it even further...but you still end up with toxic water that needs to go somewhere.  We're pretty stuck with all this solid waste we've created.  I think we should load it onto a rocket and fire it into the sun....

PoopShoot

Incinerators have afterburners that burn the exhaust waste hot enough to break it down into base elements.
All hail Cancer Jesus!