News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hello and no Questions ... for now

Started by VallartaPete, September 23, 2010, 03:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VallartaPete

Hello All

Just found the link while researching well known Atheists. I normally don't blog but I do spend way too much time on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=688776657&ref=ts

Just a brief on me. 43 yrs and never believed in a God but only started referring to by self as an Atheist 20 yrs ago. Was sent to Anglican church as a child but my parents never attended which when I was 14 I learnt it was because they did not believe in God. My Mother calls herself an Atheist but my Dad refers to himself as a Protestant and then in the same sentence will tell you "but there is no God". I have met many like him since then, people who refer to themselves as Christian or Jewish but when asked about God they will tell you there is not God.

Since when did Religion become a race?

You know our numbers would be much higher if they stopped doing that.

Anyways you probable already came to that conclusion.
Nice to be here
Peter Hardy aka VallartaPete

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "VallartaPete"Since when did Religion become a race?

Nice to be here
I don't think I came to that conclusion, I might have and then forgot.
Anyway we can sort that out later.
Welcome Pete.

Martin TK

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "VallartaPete"Since when did Religion become a race?

Nice to be here
I don't think I came to that conclusion, I might have and then forgot.
Anyway we can sort that out later.
Welcome Pete.

I think I understand where he's coming from, though I don't think religion is as much a "race" as it is a social club for many.  I know a lot of "Christians" who are only so in name, not in practice.  If you look at attendance in churches versus the number of people who identify themselves as Christian, you see the numbers simply don't add up.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Tank

Hello Peter

Welcome aboard  :D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

VallartaPete

Quote from: "Martin TK"
Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "VallartaPete"I think I understand where he's coming from, though I don't think religion is as much a "race" as it is a social club for many.  I know a lot of "Christians" who are only so in name, not in practice.  If you look at attendance in churches versus the number of people who identify themselves as Christian, you see the numbers simply don't add up.

That is one aspect of it but not really the point I was referring to. Those people you refer to Magic are what I call small "c" Christians etc ... they profess and maintain a belief but don't put much thought or defense into it. But when ask many will tell you they do believe but if you dig deeper you will find they are more Deists rather than Theists.

I was referring to those who "check off" Christian or Jewish or some other religion on a census form or other survey or questionnaire designed to tally the numbers within each group but when asked if they "think" there is a God they will say "NO". There are many Agnostics and Atheists out there but they are too use to the "Label" they were given at birth and think that it is non-removable like on pillows. I believe that the numbers here in the west would possibly double if people really cared enough to tug at that "Label"

VallartaPete

Quote from: "Tank"Hello Peter

Welcome aboard  :D

Regards
Chris

Thanx Chris

pinkocommie

Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/