News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Synthetic Fuels Research Aims to Reduce Oil Dependence

Started by Tank, September 18, 2010, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Synthetic Fuels Research Aims to Reduce Oil Dependence

QuoteScienceDaily (Sep. 18, 2010) â€" Researchers at Purdue University have developed a facility aimed at learning precisely how coal and biomass are broken down in reactors called gasifiers as part of a project to strengthen the scientific foundations of the synthetic fuel economy.

"A major focus is to be able to produce a significant quantity of synthetic fuel for the U.S. air transportation system and to reduce our dependence on petroleum
oil for transportation," said Jay Gore, the Reilly University Chair Professor of Combustion Engineering at Purdue...

Interesting opportunities for fuel production in the most fuel consuming country on Earth.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Roganthis72

Only problem with this is that it merly resolves the issue of fuel shortages, and does nothing (perhaps very little?) to provide an answer to the mass polution caused by fossil fuel burning.

(btw, I'm no eco-guy, I just like to be able to breathe without dying from fumes)
BBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Ultima22689

What makes you think synthetic fuel would be as bad as petroleum?

Ultima22689

What makes you think synthetic fuel would be as bad as petroleum?

The Magic Pudding

Still using that old mouse?

Roganthis72

Quote from: "Ultima22689"What makes you think synthetic fuel would be as bad as petroleum?
(x2)

Because its still a Hydrocarbon, which means that the output will still be CO2  and water, not to mention all kinds of other contaminants that would result from the process.  IT wouldn't be as bad (I don't think) but it still wouldn't be good.
BBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Ultima22689

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"Still using that old mouse?

Yes I am

Yes I am

wildfire_emissary

Interesting. Wouldn't it be better not to find oil alternatives but rather research on more efficient machines that can use water as fuel?
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Ultima22689

But of course and that research is ongoing. I think electric cars are going to become the norm as the technology is rapidly improving over time but oil is used for other things than cars, hopefully research like this can help with that. Aside from the environmental problems can you imagine what synthetic fuel would mean for the US? We could end the oil industry's grip on Uncle Sam's throat.