News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Outsmarting Killer Bacteria

Started by Tank, September 14, 2010, 07:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Outsmarting Killer Bacteria

QuoteScienceDaily (Sep. 14, 2010) â€" Antibiotics can work miracles, knocking out common infections like bronchitis and tonsillitis. But according to the Center for Disease Control, each year 90,000 people in the U.S. die of drug-resistant "superbugs" -- bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a deadly form of staph infection resistant to normal antibiotics. Although hospital patients are particularly susceptible as a result of open wounds and weakened immune systems, the bacteria can infect anyone.

Dr. Micha Fridman of Tel Aviv University's Department of Chemistry is now developing the next generation of antibiotics designed to overcome this kind of bacteria. And the key, he says, is in the bacteria itself...

Medical science continues to get the better of bacteria.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ultima22689

Nice, Science 989456419489465161684916519879546214, Everything else 0

Ultima22689

Ultima22689

Thumpalumpacus

So what's up with all your mulitple posts, Ultima?  You're having a lot of those lately.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Velma

Quote from: "Tank"Outsmarting Killer Bacteria

QuoteScienceDaily (Sep. 14, 2010) â€" Antibiotics can work miracles, knocking out common infections like bronchitis and tonsillitis. But according to the Center for Disease Control, each year 90,000 people in the U.S. die of drug-resistant "superbugs" -- bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a deadly form of staph infection resistant to normal antibiotics. Although hospital patients are particularly susceptible as a result of open wounds and weakened immune systems, the bacteria can infect anyone.

Dr. Micha Fridman of Tel Aviv University's Department of Chemistry is now developing the next generation of antibiotics designed to overcome this kind of bacteria. And the key, he says, is in the bacteria itself...

Medical science continues to get the better of bacteria.
Let's hope this new generation of antibiotics doesn't get overused and create yet another generation of even stronger super bugs.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Velma"Let's hope this new generation of antibiotics doesn't get overused and create yet another generation of even stronger super bugs.
If it's of the class I've heard of elsewhere, it can't.  The ones I'm talking about don't kill the bacteria, they just prevent the chemical triggers that make them become virulent.  That kind of antibiotic isn't a selective pressure on the bacteria.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Velma

Quote from: "PoopShoot"
Quote from: "Velma"Let's hope this new generation of antibiotics doesn't get overused and create yet another generation of even stronger super bugs.
If it's of the class I've heard of elsewhere, it can't.  The ones I'm talking about don't kill the bacteria, they just prevent the chemical triggers that make them become virulent.  That kind of antibiotic isn't a selective pressure on the bacteria.
That's good news.  Haven't spent much time learning about new and impending drugs.  We spend most of our time learning procedures and focusing on the most prescribed drugs.  (I've returned to school the become a pharmacy technician.)
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Velma"That's good news.  Haven't spent much time learning about new and impending drugs.  We spend most of our time learning procedures and focusing on the most prescribed drugs.  (I've returned to school the become a pharmacy technician.)
Funny, I've returned to school and am contemplating whether to go pharm or PA.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Velma

Quote from: "Velma"That's good news.  Haven't spent much time learning about new and impending drugs.  We spend most of our time learning procedures and focusing on the most prescribed drugs.  (I've returned to school the become a pharmacy technician.)
Funny, I've returned to school and am contemplating whether to go pharm or PA.
Research both and see which fits better.

PoopShoot

Quote from: "Velma"Research both and see which fits better.
I have been.  Both are vaible for me, but I think PA is going to be more in-demand around here.  I've got some time because I had started going to school again at Warren County college in Jersey, but ended up moving to KY so I had to wait a year for school to be affordable.  I can't actually continue my classes until spring, so I'm looking at my options before proceeding.  Regardless, I have to finish my basic bio stuff before deciding where to go from there, so I've got time.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Velma

Quote from: "Velma"Research both and see which fits better.
I have been.  Both are vaible for me, but I think PA is going to be more in-demand around here.  I've got some time because I had started going to school again at Warren County college in Jersey, but ended up moving to KY so I had to wait a year for school to be affordable.  I can't actually continue my classes until spring, so I'm looking at my options before proceeding.  Regardless, I have to finish my basic bio stuff before deciding where to go from there, so I've got time.
That is also something you have to take into account - local demand.  Sounds like you have done quite a bit of research.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"So what's up with all your mulitple posts, Ultima?  You're having a lot of those lately.

It's this stupid mouse, when they get old they get super clicky, I need to get a new one, I will eventually but not until I find some work.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"So what's up with all your mulitple posts, Ultima?  You're having a lot of those lately.

It's this stupid mouse, when they get old they get super clicky, I need to get a new one, I will eventually but not until I find some work.

I hear you, just teasin'.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tank

Quote from: "Ultima22689"

One can use the tab key to cycle around the controls and then hit enter.

Edit. Just tried that on this screen and it works tab > preview > tab > submit > Enter. Job done.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.