News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Introduction

Started by logoballz, September 13, 2010, 03:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logoballz

OK.... I dunno what all to say... been lurkin around here for a couple months and decided to join just so I can give my 2 cents.

45 - raised part Holy-roller, part Baptist - never really enjoyed church much... baptized both kids Catholic because that's what my spouse is but the church wouldn't recognize our marriage since we wouldn't take their stupid classes ahead of time so we go married at a country club and she started moving away from the Catholic church at that point.

Really started exploring and considering atheism in my late 30s as I wanted to be able to explain things intelligently to my kids.

I dunno how educated, intelligent people (if they REALLY want to open their minds) can put the delusions and mysticism of 2000 year old sheep herders ahead of discoveries and conclusions of today.  And be realistic, we've only had ELECTRICITY in homes for 100 years or so!  We're so new to this whole discovery and exploration thing - satellites, hubble, etc. - all of that stuff has been around just a blink in time.

Remember, there are Mayan and Greek and Egyptian civilizations that existed for 500-1000 years or more and our puny country (I'm writing as an American) has only been in existence for 230 years!  And we think we know everything?  And we've got definitive answers?  Not even close!  But I'll gladly throw my lot in with the team that keeps finding new info and expanding and adjusting and tweaking their solution as opposed to the group that sticks with flat-earth goat farmers who wrote down their telephone-tag tales and after multiple translations, rewrites, abortions and editing by unscrupulous powerbrokers, decided that this is the unerring word of the creator. (unless we don't like it and in that case, those parts don't apply to today's world).

I don't claim to know who or what started everything and basically I don't care.  I'm concerned with my brief 60-70 years here.  I'll worry about "the afterlife" when I get there - it's what I had to do when I got to "this life".

I dunno, not trying to be a troll or be offensive - hope to be able to contribute on occasion.

Thanks,

logoballz

PoopShoot

Quote from: "logoballz"I dunno, not trying to be a troll or be offensive - hope to be able to contribute on occasion.
Doesn't sound like a troll to me.  It's certainly more innocuous than stuff I've seen long time members write.  In fact, I liked it.  Welcome.

:bananacolor:  :bananacolor:  :bananacolor:
All hail Cancer Jesus!

karadan

Quote from: "logoballz"I don't claim to know who or what started everything and basically I don't care.  I'm concerned with my brief 60-70 years here.  I'll worry about "the afterlife" when I get there - it's what I had to do when I got to "this life".

I liked that.

Welcome to the forum.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "logoballz"I dunno, not trying to be a troll or be offensive - hope to be able to contribute on occasion.
I don't find your thinking in any way offensive.
You wondered and you wandered.
And here you are.
Welcome

Tank

Hi logoballz

Welcome aboard.

Regards
Chris

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How to discuss efficiently and effectively Before entering  into a serious discussion I implore you to read the first post of this thread.
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.