News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Did Viking Mars Landers Find Life's Building Blocks?

Started by Tank, September 04, 2010, 06:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Did Viking Mars Landers Find Life's Building Blocks? Missing Piece Inspires New Look at Puzzle

QuoteScienceDaily (Sep. 4, 2010) â€" Experiments prompted by a 2008 surprise from NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander suggest that soil examined by NASA's Viking Mars landers in 1976 may have contained carbon-based chemical building blocks of life...

It appears that something unexpected in the Martian soil buggered up the Viking landers tests for organic compounds!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dretlin

Fascinating!

I remember watching a program that suggested life could exist on Mars beneath its crust. More missions sound good to me.  :headbang:

PoopShoot

For me it's a bit of a "so what?".  Carbon is the fourth(?) most common element in the universe.  Finding carbon doesn't mean finding organic molecules and finding organic molecules doesn't mean finding life.  Without a bit more discovery (finiding better evidence of forming life IS interesting), there's nothing to see here.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Tank

Quote from: "PoopShoot"For me it's a bit of a "so what?".  Carbon is the fourth(?) most common element in the universe.  Finding carbon doesn't mean finding organic molecules and finding organic molecules doesn't mean finding life.  Without a bit more discovery (finiding better evidence of forming life IS interesting), there's nothing to see here.
While you are correct that Carbon is very abundant that is not what the Viking mission is supposed to have missed as it wasn't looking for pure Carbon, but organic molecules that contain Carbon. The chemical reactions of organic molecules differ. The experiment on the Viking lander was designed on the basis that perchlorate would not be present in the Martian soil and the Viking results were interpreted in light of that assumption. However we now know that perchlorate is present in the Martian soil. When Vikings original findings are re-examined in the light of the new fact the result may be interpreted in a new way.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

PoopShoot

All hail Cancer Jesus!