News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

U.S. drones to watch entire Mexico border from September 1

Started by Tank, August 30, 2010, 10:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

U.S. drones to watch entire Mexico border from September 1

QuotePHOENIX, Aug. 30, 2010 (Reuters) â€" The U.S. government will have unmanned surveillance aircraft monitoring the whole southwest border with Mexico from September 1, as it ramps up border security in this election year, a top official said on Monday...

Soon to be seen flying all over the USA?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Quote from: "Tank"Soon to be seen flying all over the USA?

Heheh, I wouldn't be surprised.  However, you might look to your own skies, amigo.  If there's one thing the UK needs, it's more cameras trained on the populace, am I right?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ultima22689

Great, even more violence to demolish Mexico. This can only help drive stuff like Prop 19 into passing.

Dretlin

Quote from: "Tank"We have camera's F***ing everywhere!

The UK is one of the most watched nations on the planet, southern England in particular. So aye, I agree with Tank.  roflol

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Ultima22689"Great, even more violence to demolish Mexico. This can only help drive stuff like Prop 19 into passing.

I'm pretty sure they will be unarmed, given that the Posse Comitatus law forbids active military operations inside our borders without explicit Congressional approval, and pursuing such operations in Mexico without  their approval would be an act of war.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Will

I wonder what the response will be when a cartel shoots one down. Or all of them. The cartels are much better armed than the Taliban.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

skwurll

Quote from: "Will"I wonder what the response will be when a cartel shoots one down. Or all of them. The cartels are much better armed than the Taliban.

True enough.

Probably send more planes.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Will"I wonder what the response will be when a cartel shoots one down. Or all of them. The cartels are much better armed than the Taliban.

Uh...no they're not. Taliban has Stinger Missiles and loads of other nasties we left over for them during the Soviet Invasion. It's also nearly impossible to shoot a planet, helicopter, etc. with small arms. Black Hawk Down was the result of a couple of lucky Somali's with RPGs. Even then it was a shock they pulled that one off.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Tank

Quote from: "Big Mac"

Uh...no they're not. Taliban has Stinger Missiles and loads of other nasties we left over for them during the Soviet Invasion. It's also nearly impossible to shoot a planet, helicopter, etc. with small arms. Black Hawk Down was the result of a couple of lucky Somali's with RPGs. Even then it was a shock they pulled that one off.
I think if you point a gun downwards it's pretty difficult to miss  :blush:

Asmodean

Quote from: "Big Mac"Black Hawk Down was the result of a couple of lucky Somali's with RPGs.
Oh, if you manage to hit it with an RPG, it is very likely to go down in a heap of burning military hardware. You can also bring down a chopper with a tank's main gun or a heavy machine gun (Which is easier to trace a target with) but I'd say terrain is the best weapon against aviation. If you are being carpeted - mountains. If you are being choppered - mountains or dense vegetation.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Big Mac

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Big Mac"Black Hawk Down was the result of a couple of lucky Somali's with RPGs.
Oh, if you manage to hit it with an RPG, it is very likely to go down in a heap of burning military hardware. You can also bring down a chopper with a tank's main gun or a heavy machine gun (Which is easier to trace a target with) but I'd say terrain is the best weapon against aviation. If you are being carpeted - mountains. If you are being choppered - mountains or dense vegetation.

Touche but most bullets from small arms would just go "ping ping" against a helicopter hull. Happened to Afghanis who shot at Soviet Hind copters with 12.7mm machine guns. Read Charlie Wilson's War for all the fun that ensued from that.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Asmodean

Quote from: "Big Mac"Happened to Afghanis who shot at Soviet Hind copters with 12.7mm machine guns.
Yeah... You DO need to be lucky indeed to bring down one of those with a small caliber machine gun. It is doable, but the helicopters - even the soviet ones - are designe to withstand a good deal of pounding from anything hand-held that does not involve rocketry.

War documentaries are great fun by the way - especially the more modern ones. with colors and gore and all the trimmings.  :yay:

Edit: Actually, drop the "even" bit from my last comment. Russians can, and always could, build some very nice military helicopters.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ultima22689

Thing is, these are drones, not helicopters and while I wouldn't say the cartels have access to some of the more heavy duty military hardware the Taliban does they are, as an infantry more well armed. They're a for-profit organization, they have a ton of weapons and will probably not have much of a problem knocking out those drones.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Ultima22689"Thing is, these are drones, not helicopters and while I wouldn't say the cartels have access to some of the more heavy duty military hardware the Taliban does they are, as an infantry more well armed. They're a for-profit organization, they have a ton of weapons and will probably not have much of a problem knocking out those drones.
There are always them SAMs and chain guns and this cute and fuzzy little thingything:

Have I ever mentioned I want one for a birthday present..?  :verysad:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.