News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Your reading list?

Started by Reasonable, August 19, 2010, 07:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevil

I usually don't read books, No time and I generally prefer movies. But someone on this forum got me interested in the "His Dark Matters" trilogy.
I found the first half of "The Golden Compass" quite boring, but maybe it was taking me time to get used to reading books again. After that I just couldn't put the book down. Now I am 2/3rds of the way through the last book, "The Amber Spyglass", this trillogy story is really good. Way better than Harry Potter, Narnia, Lord of the Rings. Very imaginative, not so black and white on who is good or bad or what is wrong or right.

Crow

Quote from: Stevil on August 20, 2011, 04:46:22 AM
I usually don't read books, No time and I generally prefer movies. But someone on this forum got me interested in the "His Dark Matters" trilogy.
I found the first half of "The Golden Compass" quite boring, but maybe it was taking me time to get used to reading books again. After that I just couldn't put the book down. Now I am 2/3rds of the way through the last book, "The Amber Spyglass", this trillogy story is really good. Way better than Harry Potter, Narnia, Lord of the Rings. Very imaginative, not so black and white on who is good or bad or what is wrong or right.

Wow that trilogy takes me back to my childhood/early teens. I loved them, a set of books I wish I could read again with fresh eyes. Totally agree with being better than Harry Potter, Narnia, Lord of the Rings. Plus the ending wasn't dumbed down from what I can remember.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Currently reading:

in bed, "The Measure of Her Powers" a M.F.K. Fisher reader

in the bath, "When you are engulfed in flames", by David Sedaris

in my purse, for when I'm waiting in lines, "How to cook a wolf", by M.F.K. Fisher
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 10, 2011, 03:56:59 AM
Currently reading:

in bed, "The Measure of Her Powers" a M.F.K. Fisher reader

in the bath, "When you are engulfed in flames", by David Sedaris

in my purse, for when I'm waiting in lines, "How to cook a wolf", by M.F.K. Fisher
Have you ever considered a Kindle? I got my wife one for Xmas last year and she uses it all the time. She has over 150 books on it and has it with her all the time. She hasn't bought a single book, the vast majority are from Project Gutenbug which has over 30,000 out of copyright books so all the classics and all free to download.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on September 10, 2011, 08:42:18 AM
Have you ever considered a Kindle? I got my wife one for Xmas last year and she uses it all the time. She has over 150 books on it and has it with her all the time. She hasn't bought a single book, the vast majority are from Project Gutenbug which has over 30,000 out of copyright books so all the classics and all free to download.

I've been resisting one more piece of technology in my life for some time, but a friend of mine got a Nook (pretty much the same as a Kindle, I think) and it does so many other things than store books that I'm seriously tempted.  She can highlight a word and the thing pronounces it for her -- you have no idea how tempting I find just that feature.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 11, 2011, 03:49:19 AM
Quote from: Tank on September 10, 2011, 08:42:18 AM

I've been resisting one more piece of technology in my life for some time, but a friend of mine got a Nook (pretty much the same as a Kindle, I think) and it does so many other things than store books that I'm seriously tempted.  She can highlight a word and the thing pronounces it for her -- you have no idea how tempting I find just that feature.
Kindle ve Nook page http://www.kindlevsnookreviews.com/
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Squid

Just started reading the Fighter's Fact Book 2: Street Fighting Essentials by Loren W. Christensen.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on September 11, 2011, 08:34:33 AM

Hey, thanks -- that was very useful.  I had no idea there was so much price difference between them and, all other things being equal, it looks like Kindle is the way to go for me.
Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 11, 2011, 08:31:28 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 11, 2011, 08:34:33 AM

Hey, thanks -- that was very useful.  I had no idea there was so much price difference between them and, all other things being equal, it looks like Kindle is the way to go for me.
Well I have used my wife's Kindle and I think it represents good value for money. There is one thing I hate about it and that is the way Amazon seems to think you're buying it to buy things just from them. Once you get over that it's great. It will dispay .pdf files but it's not good at it. For normal ebooks it's fine.

Sweetdeath

Ah! I loved Journey to the West.  <3 Grea t story

I'm just reading ShadowDance by Robin Wayne Bailey.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sandra Craft

I just finished up David Sedaris' When You are Engulfed in Flames, hilarious book tho Sedaris is not for everyone -- definitely on the twisted side.  I've noticed his writing, while still twisted, has gotten less dark over the years.  Interesting actually watching someone mellow out.

I've started re-reading Ruined by Reading: a life in books, by Lynne Sharon Schwartz.  The story of my life.
Sandy

Melmoth

I've been rereading a lot of short stories. I love Raymond Carver, even going over him again, the way he makes what is normal seem strange and vice versa. Stephen King has some good ones too - I actually prefer his short stories to his novels in a lot of ways. I've also been reading through The Oxford Book of Gothic Tales, which is a really good mix.

Also, the BBC National Short Story awards were given out fairly recently and the podcasts are still online if anyone's interested. Some of them are pretty good: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/nssa
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

MariaEvri

I'm almost done with
God hates you hate him back
and
The lord of the rings-the return of the king
I think tonight I will start
7 years in tibet and
the blind watchmaker, unfortunately in greek
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Sandra Craft

I just got bit by the mystery bug and splurged on a bunch of novels, most by writers I don't recognize:

Royal Blood, by Rhys Bowen
Unnatural Selection, by Aaron Elkins (do recognize this name but haven't read him before)
Sweetness at the bottom of the pie, by Alan Bradley (bought for the title alone)
Baker Street Letters, by Michael Robertson
A Drink Before the War, by Dennis Lehane
Maisie Dobbs, by Jacqueline Winspear
Sandy

no_god_know_peace

I am currently reading "The Bridge to Humanity: How Affect Hunger Trumps the Selfish Gene" by Walter Goldschmidt.It talks about how human culture has evolved since the time of early humans "the hominids" and how that evolution came to be through shifts in behavioral traits. The book focuses specifically on "affect hunger" (the inherited trait that makes us crave affection from others) and how that was really significant to our survival and shaping culture. The book ties in Anthropology with Biology, it is very interesting :)