News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Your reading list?

Started by Reasonable, August 19, 2010, 07:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoopShoot

Quote from: "madness"You mean like The Greatest Show on Earth?  My mom got me that book too.  I am interested in most aspects of science, so perhaps that would be a better read!
Maybe.  I haven't read that one yet.  If it's less philosophical than The Blind Watchmaker then it's a good one.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Thumpalumpacus

I'm currently reading Lost Victories By Erich von Manstein, a German Field Marshal from WWII.

For what it's worth, I disliked Atheist Universe, especially the last third of it.  I don't think he was a terribly talented presenter of some pretty mundane arguments.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Squid

Currently reading Combat Knife Throwing....I decided to step out of the academic realm for a bit and pursue other reading interests - I've had my nose buried in texts for way too long.

Next on the list is The Ultimate Sniper... :raised:

joeactor

Quote from: "Squid"Currently reading Combat Knife Throwing....I decided to step out of the academic realm for a bit and pursue other reading interests - I've had my nose buried in texts for way too long.

Next on the list is The Ultimate Sniper... :raised:

Cool - I used to throw knives.  Still have a collection of some pretty odd blades.

(off to hide before you finish the Sniper book...)

PoopShoot

I'm currently reading guitar tablature from System of a Down.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

i_am_i

I'm halfway through "Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonnegut. I've read it before, several times in fact. I really need to pay a visit to the second-hand book store and pick up a bunch of paperbacks.

I recently got a signed copy of "The Complete Arranger" by Sammy Nestico but it's all functional harmony.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "PoopShoot"I'm currently reading guitar tablature from System of a Down.

Useful reading is good!
Illegitimi non carborundum.

AlP

I just read Stephen Hawkings' "The Grand Design". There isn't much material and it's kind of expensive. It's beautifully illustrated though. Hawkings' ideas on the nature of reality are, as always, mind blowing. It is not even remotely technical but still interesting - no math. I recommend asking somebody rich to buy it for you as a holiday gift. And only after reading Richard Feynman's "QED". If ever there was a "must read" popular physics book, the latter would be it IMHO.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

joeactor

Quote from: "AlP"I just read Stephen Hawkings' "The Grand Design". There isn't much material and it's kind of expensive. It's beautifully illustrated though. Hawkings' ideas on the nature of reality are, as always, mind blowing. It is not even remotely technical but still interesting - no math. I recommend asking somebody rich to buy it for you as a holiday gift. And only after reading Richard Feynman's "QED". If ever there was a "must read" popular physics book, the latter would be it IMHO.

Yeah, kinda short and short on science too.  Only $10 on the kindle, though.
I'll have to pick up QED - thanks for the recommend!

TheChainSmoker

Quote from: "joeactor"BTW, I'm using a Kindle now (the $139 wifi version) - amazing device.

So, it is worth it? I've kind of been on the fence about getting one..

joeactor

Quote from: "TheChainSmoker"
Quote from: "joeactor"BTW, I'm using a Kindle now (the $139 wifi version) - amazing device.

So, it is worth it? I've kind of been on the fence about getting one..

Yeah, I like it a lot.  My wife's got the Kindle 2.  This is lighter, smaller (same screen size, though), better navigation, etc.
Also a little more clear display.  Works really well in full sunlight down to low reading light. Keeps a charge for about a month, even with daily reading.  Haven't seen anything beat those specs for a dedicated reader for that price.

TheChainSmoker

Quote from: "joeactor"Yeah, I like it a lot.  My wife's got the Kindle 2.  This is lighter, smaller (same screen size, though), better navigation, etc.
Also a little more clear display.  Works really well in full sunlight down to low reading light. Keeps a charge for about a month, even with daily reading.  Haven't seen anything beat those specs for a dedicated reader for that price.
This, along with the news about a new job I recieved a few minutes ago, go hand in hand, haha. I do believe I'll pick one up.

BUT.. If I don't like it.. Well then.. It won't end well for you.. :devil:

Tristan Jay

I could have sworn I came across a similar topic that is sometimes common, the What are you Reading? topic, but this was the closest thing I found.  Right now I'm reading one of my favorite HP Lovecraft stories, The Dreams in the Witches House.  I've been bouncing around between anthologies (Sherlock Holmes, Mr. Midshipman Horner, Robert E. Howard, ect) and 1980's comic series (Marvel Star Wars, Classic GI Joe).  This week was exciting because it saw the release of a sequel to one of my newest favorite novels; The Magician King, which follows on from The Magicians.

The Magicians certainly had my attention at one particular point when a character confronts a deity and calls them out for not having made the world better than it was!  Well, it resonated for me, anyway.

MariaEvri

the books I am reading now are:

jurassic park by michael chrichton

the lord of the rings - the return of the king by Tolkien  and

bad science by Ben Goldacre

I am not listing the books I am [planning on reading because the stack next to my bed is huge. Mot of them are biology/evolution/atheist books.
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Crow

Just finished 'A Single Man' by Christopher Isherwood.

Now trying to decide out of the current backlog of books which to read next, these are:

'Disturbing the Peace' by Richard Yates
'Goodbye to Berlin' by Christopher Isherwood
'The Three Musketeers' by Alexander Dumas
'We Need to Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver
'Norwegian Wood' by Haruki Murakami

After I have gotten through those I will be picking up;

'Designer Evolution: A Transhumanist Manifesto' by Simon S Young
'The Black Cloud' by Fred Hoyle
'The Temple Of The Golden Pavilion' by Yukio Mishima
'Twilight of Idols and Anti-Christ' by Friedrich Nietzsche
'Utz' by Bruce Chatwin
'Journey to the West' by Cheng'en Wu