News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Dr. Laura's N-Word Rant: Radio Host Apologizes

Started by mikex, August 13, 2010, 01:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikex

QuoteDr. Laura Schlessinger has apologized after a shocking rant on her radio show this week during which she said the n-word 11 times over the course of five minutes. In conversation Tuesday with a black female caller who was complaining about her white husband's racist friends and their use of the word, Schlessinger said:

"Black guys use it all the time. Turn on HBO and listen to a black comic, and all you hear is n****, n*****, n*****. I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing. But when black people say it, it's affectionate. It's very confusing."

After a break, the caller said she was appalled by Schlessinger's use of the word.

"Oh, then I guess you don't watch HBO or listen to any black comedians," she said. "My dear, the point I am trying to make...we've got a black man as president and we've got more complaining about racism than ever. I think that's hilarious."

Schlessinger and the caller then got into an exchange about the use of the word:

CALLER: Is it OK to say that word? Is it ever OK to say that word?
DR. LAURA: It depends how it's said. Black guys talking to each other seem to think it's ok.
CALLER: But you're not black, they're not black, my husband is white.
DR. LAURA: Oh, I see, so a word is restricted to race. Got it. Can't do much about that.
CALLER: I can't believe someone like you is on the radio spewing out the n***** word, and I hope everybody heard it.
DR. LAURA: I didn't spew out the n***** word!
CALLER: You said "n*****, n*****, n*****" and I hope everybody heard it.
DR. LAURA: Yes they did, and I'll say it again: n*****, n*****, n***** is what you hear on HBO.
[Crosstalk]
DR. LAURA: Why don't you let me finish a sentence? Don't take things out of context. Don't NAACP me, leave them in context.

"If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry outside of your race," Schlessinger said after hanging up with the caller.

She apologized the next day, opening her show with an apology.

"Yesterday, I did the wrong thing," she said. "I didn't intend to hurt people, but I did. And that makes it the wrong thing to have done. I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the "n" word all the way out - more than one time. And that was wrong. I'll say it again - that was wrong."

Schlessinger said she "was so upset [she] could not finish the show."

"I pulled myself off the air at the end of the hour," she said. "I had to finish the hour, because 20 minutes of dead air doesn't work. I am very sorry. And it just won't happen again."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/12/dr-lauras-n-word-rant-rad_n_680680.html

Sophus

Is it true that GEICO can save you 15 percent or more on car insurance? Does [strike:1nsc8vvn]a former Drill Sergeant[/strike:1nsc8vvn] Dr. Laura Schlessinger make a terrible therapist?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

SSY

Quote from: "Sophus"Is it true that GEICO can save you 15 percent or more on car insurance? Does [strike:2wp1cs8q]a former Drill Sergeant[/strike:2wp1cs8q] Dr. Laura Schlessinger make a terrible therapist?

What?

Also, I have always shared her feelings about certain people being allowed to use certain words. To be honest, it's not something I would have apologised for.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

humblesmurph

Quote from: "SSY"
Quote from: "Sophus"Is it true that GEICO can save you 15 percent or more on car insurance? Does [strike:3cu36zzr]a former Drill Sergeant[/strike:3cu36zzr] Dr. Laura Schlessinger make a terrible therapist?

What?

Also, I have always shared her feelings about certain people being allowed to use certain words. To be honest, it's not something I would have apologised for.

Nigger.  Yup, I typed it.  Six letters.  Nobody is dead. One of my favorite shows dealt with the issue in a pretty funny way imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp2yynZDVjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDYNQ-RJ8bs

Sophus

Quote from: "SSY"
Quote from: "Sophus"Is it true that GEICO can save you 15 percent or more on car insurance? Does [strike:2oc1bqk1]a former Drill Sergeant[/strike:2oc1bqk1] Dr. Laura Schlessinger make a terrible therapist?

What?

[youtube:2oc1bqk1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA[/youtube:2oc1bqk1]

I understand that some people can get away with using certain language and depending upon who you're around it's really not a big deal because nothing is meant by it. But, if her friends really did mean it in a racist or less than courteous way, I can understand why she would be upset.

I am reminded of the film 'Blazing Saddles' in their attempt to use the n-word so much that it became meaningless. An honorable effort, and honestly any word can be rendered meaningless. It's about how it's being used, and while Dr. Laura never shot it at the caller herself she was most unsympathetic to the fact she was having to tolerate the slur from her husband's jackass friends. Once again Dr. Laura proves herself useless.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Will

Dr. Laura is just another conservative talk radio host, someone who supposes herself a beacon of morality because she's a religious (Jewish, iirc) and Republican. Her PhD is in physiology, not psychology, and anyone with even a passing understanding of psychology can tell just by listening to her inane, self-important, often destructive advice. Not only that but she hates gay people, calling them biological errors and deviants.

She's just another loudmouth bigot. She can go suck a lemon for all I care.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

defiant1

Quote"If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry outside of your race," Schlessinger said after hanging up with the caller.

This is probably the most offensive thing she said, which is shocking to hear from a Doctor therapist who is perfectly qualified to handle marriage related complex issues within the household.......... oh wait  ..... she isnt? :eek: ....... well now it makes perfect sense.
He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife.  Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.    -Douglas Adams

Davin

[youtube:184sri2t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ns-kXeQCMk[/youtube:184sri2t]

Saw this video a while back, seems to fit this topic if not, then ignore it.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

skwurll

Quote from: "Davin"[youtube:3s4xw1w5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ns-kXeQCMk[/youtube:3s4xw1w5]

Saw this video a while back, seems to fit this topic if not, then ignore it.
Yes, just yes.

I actually wrote an essay on the subject of white guilt a while back for English Honors.
The assignment was an essay on discrimination.
I was the only one to write about something other than african americans.

philosoraptor

I'm conflicted.  I think Dr. Laura is a raging bigot.  However, at the same time, I do understand her point that if a word is offensive, it's always going to be offensive, regardless of who says it.  I don't find the term cunt less offensive if it's being said by a woman, so I see the point that it seems kind of strange that nigger is generally regarded as offensive, but is somehow acceptable when being said by a black person.  Perhaps the way she went about expressing this point was the most inappropriate thing about the conversation, and I agree that her statement regarding marrying outside of your race was really inappropriate.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Will"Dr. Laura is just another conservative talk radio host, someone who supposes herself a beacon of morality because she's a religious (Jewish, iirc) and Republican. Her PhD is in physiology, not psychology, and anyone with even a passing understanding of psychology can tell just by listening to her inane, self-important, often destructive advice. Not only that but she hates gay people, calling them biological errors and deviants.

She's just another loudmouth bigot. She can go suck a lemon for all I care.

Yeah.  Put shortly, she's full of shit.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Sophus

Will

Quote from: "Sophus"Aw, you guys scared her off. SHE QUIT!
From the article:
QuoteThe radio personality told King, “I’ve made the decision not to do radio anymore. The reason is I want to regain my First Amendment rights.”
What a self-righteous, Constitution-misunderstanding moron. She flew off the handle, offended people with every right to be offended and now she's throwing a tantrum because she didn't get away with it. I'm really glad she's off the radio. Limbaugh's next.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Thumpalumpacus

Well, it's only free speech when she's talking.  When it's non-bigoted people disagreeing, it's persecution.

Pfft.  Maybe now global warming will slow a little.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

karadan

I ususally don't touch this issue with a 60 foot pole, mainly because it's such a non-issue where i live. All of my black friends would never dream of saying it because it is as offensive for them to use it as it would be for me to use it. It is probably the most taboo thing you can say in a social situation amongst my family and friends.

Personally, if i ever hear it said on TV or in movies, it makes me cringe. It is over-used in Tarantino movies, for sure. I believe it to be a racist term, no matter the colour of the person saying it.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.