News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Religious people everywhere

Started by walkerneo, August 07, 2010, 04:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: "humblesmurph"I looked.  I couldn't find any movies about Christian extremists trying to take over the US.  It would make a great movie Tank.  Are you a writer?
Jesus Camp
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

notself

Jesus Camp on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqGhcwwE1s

I have lived in small towns in Virginia, Georgia, Arkansas and have had extended visits in Fresno, CA and two small towns in Montana.  They are all the same.  Perhaps the small towns outside of the South and the conservative areas of certain States are less religious, I certainly hope so.

Tank

Quote from: "humblesmurph"I looked.  I couldn't find any movies about Christian extremists trying to take over the US.  It would make a great movie Tank.  Are you a writer?
No. I do amateur stories and that's all I'm ever going to say on the matter.  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"The religious right shot its bolt in the last ten years.  It will stay around, but be politically hamstrung  by the Bush legacy: two undeclared wars, disappearing middle class, economic misery, and a giant expansion of the national debt.
It seems some will accept any nonsense if it is said in a serious voice and vilifies liberals.
I thought Obama was already being held responsible for Bush's mess.
What can you do with people who believe stone age children played with dinosaurs?

In regard to extreme political action, I wonder what would happen if terrorists perform an extreme act, such as a dirty bomb.

notself

If terrorists detonated a dirty bomb in the USA, we would have marshal law and a dictatorship.  We came close to this under Bush and Obama has done very little to pull back from the Bush Administration's eroding of our civil liberties.  We still have the worst and most repressive parts of the Patriot Act.  Obama banned direct torture but still supports rendition.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"The religious right shot its bolt in the last ten years.  It will stay around, but be politically hamstrung  by the Bush legacy: two undeclared wars, disappearing middle class, economic misery, and a giant expansion of the national debt.
It seems some will accept any nonsense if it is said in a serious voice and vilifies liberals.
I thought Obama was already being held responsible for Bush's mess.
What can you do with people who believe stone age children played with dinosaurs?

In regard to extreme political action, I wonder what would happen if terrorists perform an extreme act, such as a dirty bomb.

Yeah, there are idiots everywhere; but most Americans are pretty common-sensical.  The fundies are a small proportion of the polity here, admittedly larger than those fragments in Europe, I think, but not nearly so powerful as is portrayed in the media.

Furthermore, the fundies are damaging the right-wing in general by flocking to the Tea Party.  They are setting up the right-wing for a schism, and I don't think they will stop, because they are so inflexible.

Too, once the economy turns around, Obama won't be pilloried as much, except by the extremists.  

Were I a Democratic campaign manager, I could promise my candidate an even shot even in the Deep South (I'd point out my opponent's votes against unemployent benefits extension); and in the West and Northeast, I could damned near guarantee a victory.

The media is merely focusing on the loudest talkers; the vast majority of Americans understand that we're in a deep hole, and the last thing we want to do is reinstate the diggers.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

humblesmurph

Quote from: "notself"Jesus Camp on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqGhcwwE1s

I have lived in small towns in Virginia, Georgia, Arkansas and have had extended visits in Fresno, CA and two small towns in Montana.  They are all the same.  Perhaps the small towns outside of the South and the conservative areas of certain States are less religious, I certainly hope so.

Thanks, for the movie.  Should be good for a laugh (or cry) when I watch it.  I'm going to a family reunion in a small city (pop 15000) in Maryland near the West Virginian boarder.  I plan to tell them all that I'm an atheist.  I hope I make it out alive.

notself

Wait until the last night of your stay. It will save a lot of upset.

pinkocommie

I found Jesus Camp to be really really disturbing.  Like, I avoid watching it again at all costs disturbing.  "Audience of One", though not a movie about extremists trying to take over America, was hilarious.  There's something about listening to a hyper religious guy trying to convince the city he shouldn't have to pay rent on a movie studio because God blah blah blah and then getting the power shut off and having his mom criticize his leadership abilities that sets my shriveled little atheist heart a flutter.  Schadenfreude isn't very attractive, but it is extremely satisfying at times.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

humblesmurph

I'm glad I read the above.  I was about to sit back and have a giggle fest.  I'll give "Audience of One" a try. I'll save Jesus Camp for a sad/mad day.

NothingSacred

Quote from: "walkerneo"I get the feeling that I am suffocating in the stupidity, stubbornness, and ignorance common to all religious people. It infuriates me how they think that they are right and look at you like they pity you for not being religious because they think you're going to hell. It would be nice to know that I'm not alone in this world full of religious people.
I understand how you feel it drives you mad but take to the internets people speak freely here. :hide:
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices -William James
Anything worth knowing is difficult to learn- Greek Proverb
what if god ain't looking down what if he's looking up instead-Ani difranco "what if no one's watching

karadan

Quote from: "Davin"
Jesus Camp

roflol
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

walkerneo

I thought I had it bad here in Beverly Hills, but I can't believe what you guys are telling me about some parts of rural America. Is anyone here from somewhere with a large atheist community?

Religion is understandable to some extent. I understand that in cases of severe trauma, knowing that you will see loves ones again after they die might be the only thing keeping you from committing suicide. Religious people like that wouldn't bother me, but the only religious people I've met or know are religious because they don't know any better.

My main problem is that my mother is a schizophrenic who has all sorts of religious beliefs and thinks the the movie "The Fourth Kind" was based on actual events. She thinks she was abducted and that there are "lizard people" who are some sort of alien transformers whose true form looks like a lizard... She gets mad at me for not believing in god and looking at her like she's crazy for telling me things like this. Not really much I can, but I just wanted some confirmation that I'm not the only who's overwhelmed by religious people.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "walkerneo"I understand that in cases of severe trauma, knowing that you will see loves ones again after they die might be the only thing keeping you from committing suicide.

I'd think they'd want to speed up the reunion?

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your mother.  Mental illness can devastate the whole family, and not just the victim.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Ned

Can I be the only person here whose heart breaks when people do not give glory to God?
Edit: Thanks to i_am_i for pointing out my grammar mistake.