News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Girlfriend's religious family

Started by JerseyAtheist, August 04, 2010, 02:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerseyAtheist

Apparrently my religious views have become somewhat controversial in my girlfriend's family. Her two sisters are these overly Christian idiots. They're such stereotypes it hurts. They're nice to me and we seem to get along fine, but they're lives suck and the idea that I should listen to anything they have to say is laughable. Her one sister is 33 and has never had a driver's license or held a job. Her other sister married a total scumbag that treats her and their kids like total shit. Both of them had kids at 17 and 18, respectively. They're the types of Christians who think stuff like, "God extended my unemployment benefits." I'm supposed to listen to these people?

JerseyAtheist

Actually, they've never quite confronted me on this.  My girlfriend told them to not talk to me about this.  Supposedly they're constantly chatting with each other and bitching at her about this.  I'm very polite about it, as we've never even talked about religion.  Still, they're completely obsessed and supposedly its a big issue for them.  Hell, I already told her that if we got married she could do it in whatever church she wanted....Idk what they want from me.

Amnesiac2389

I'm atheist and so is my boyfriend, but his family is very religious. I always made a point of not talking to them about it and if the had to bring it up I just kept it simple and told them that I don't force my views on Michael (they don't know about his beliefs). We get along pretty well now. But when we first started dating, it was horrible. They automatically didn't like me because I have tattoos on my arms and then they found out I was atheist. I just stood my ground and let them know I wasn't going anywhere and that I love their son. I guess they have either learned to tolerate me or I have grown on them, because they treat me alright now.
The family of your partner is important, but it's not nearly as important as your partner is. Try to please them as best you can and show up to family events. Hopefully they will catch on to the fact that you aren't going anywhere.

JerseyAtheist

Update- her sister deleted me from Facebook it seems. My GF called her up and they got into a huge fight.  Her sister was telling her how "you've changed."  Indeed she has since I've come into her life...but only in a good way.  She's decided to go back to school, quit smoking, and has become a fitness freak.