News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Noob in WI

Started by parrotpirate, July 19, 2010, 03:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parrotpirate

New to the forum, but not to atheism. I grew up UCC, but the parents had to bribe me with donuts to get up on Sundays. They were not really serious believers,I don't think since they haven't been to church in years. They let me think for myself and do my own thing for the most part. Now for the part that might sound odd: the first thing that really started me down the path to non-belief was reading the liner notes and lyrics to Jethro Tull's Aqualung album. How do I put a marker onto the map in the other thread? Do you need to reach a certain post count?
The one thing everybody needs to remember is that I never claimed to be sane!

Tank

Welcome aboard Cap'n

I still can't figure out that scurvy map thing and it don't have no X on it  :mad:

Here be rules and stuff.

Useful links for new members
Mission Statement Why this place is here.
Forum Rules More of a set of guidelines really, upset Whitney (She who must be obeyed) and you'll find the exit door very quickly!
How do I use the quote feature? If you are new to forums this is an important feature to understand. The maximum number of nested quotes is 3.
Help desk. Any problems this is where to ask them.
What's on your mind today? The general chit chat thread.
Somewhere to discuss the fear of dying. Many ex-theists have to come to terms with death, this is a place to discuss this issue.
How to tell your family you are an atheist. Some suggestions about how to deal with this thorny issue.
Parenting Beyond Belief. The forum for discussing how to raise your children 'Faith Free'.
Just a little advice for new Atheists Some thoughts for those new to reality.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Martin TK

Welcome from a neighbor, over in the UP of Michigan
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

pinkocommie

Welcome to the forum!  I hope you like it here.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "parrotpirate"I grew up UCC, but the parents had to bribe me with donuts to get up on Sundays.
God offers donuts and the promise of heaven.
Atheism offers reason and a Sunday sleep in.
I think you made the right choice.
I don't know about that standing on one leg business though, looks quite tricky.
Welcome.

The Black Jester

Ay, Welcome aboard - shiver me skivvies, and batten down the beavers!
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com