Main Menu

A question to think about.

Started by AverageFreeThinker, July 15, 2010, 06:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DropLogic

Quote from: "kaze420"my main point  of my talk was this:
believe you will conscious forever and you will be
easy pass for eternal life?

how can you become 'unconscious' to reality once your conscious it exists? even after death you remain conscious somewhere in existence

i dont believe in 'god', i believe in love, my worldview is love
Kaze, I'm all for smokin' out, but lay off the bong for a few minutes.

Humans became aware long before it was healthy, imo.  You could call it, man's reach exceeding his grasp.
We struggle with the idea that when we die, that's it.  We want to believe that our 'soul' our 'essence' will live on somewhere in the ether.
I would love to observe humanity's progress myself.  Sadly, I just don't think it's in the cards.

Whitney

Quote from: "kaze420"how can you become 'unconscious' to reality once your conscious it exists?

You do it every night when you go to sleep and are not dreaming.... :blink:

NearBr0ken

Quote from: "DropLogic"I would love to observe humanity's progress myself.
I feel the same way.  Contrary to your approach I'm looking into life extension and cryogenic preservation.

Byronazriel

Cryogenic preservation is a bad idea.

Now going ot the future via time travel? That's plausible, and preferable. Who knows... by the time you get there they could have immortality of some sort they'd be willign to share with you.

Or it could be a backwards ape based society that'll make you a slave... I'd say that would be interesting, though not in the same way.

If society crumbled before you got there, you'd essentially be a god... though if it advanced too much you'd be more like a mentally retarded monkey in their eyes.  :crazy:

That's even if you could communicate with them at all. What was I talking about?
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

NearBr0ken

I've considered those scenarios and come to the conclusion that humanity's treatment of the dead is as outdated as it's morality.

Consider this:  If I do have my corpse buried or burned I will have no chance of seeing the future.
If I am preserved, I could awaken to a utopian dream.  Sound fascinating?  Yeah probably.   But look at the progess of the last century.  The didn't even have anesthesia 100 years ago.  Now we're doing elective surgery daily.  The odds are equal (and therefore random) that I will wake up in a utopian society, a distopian society, or somewhere in between.  I want to at least have the chance to see and if it's too horrible to live in I can always off myself when I get there.   :P

Byronazriel

Unless they make you immortal out of spite, or drug you so much you can't tell it's a distopia at all...
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

NearBr0ken

Quote from: "Byronazriel"Unless they make you immortal out of spite, or drug you so much you can't tell it's a distopia at all...

The possibilities are endless.  Concerning the ones you mentioned, the former would suck.  In fact it would be the closest thing to Hell that I can think of.  The latter I wouldn't mind, by definition. :)

Byronazriel

I wouldn't want to be drugged, my mother had my on a large ammount of ADHD meds when I was a kid and THAT was hellish.

Of course those wern't happy drugs, so it's not exactly the same... But It still really screwed me up when it comes to drugs, I don't even like taking things like pain meds or lactase tablets...  :eek2:

Joel25

I'm a Christian and I have never liked Pascal's Wager for many of the reasons named above. Two of the biggest problems I have with Pascal's Wager include:

1. Different religions claim different "Gods" and different paths to heaven - how to "wager" on the correct one?
2. According to the Bible a true saving belief in God is based on heart change and confession of Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16, Romans 10:9,10, others) and not an odds driven wager/gamble.

A much better framework for defending the existence of God is shown here (at least in part): http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... answer.asp

Tanker

Quote from: "Joel25"I'm a Christian and I have never liked Pascal's Wager for many of the reasons named above. Two of the biggest problems I have with Pascal's Wager include:

1. Different religions claim different "Gods" and different paths to heaven - how to "wager" on the correct one?
2. According to the Bible a true saving belief in God is based on heart change and confession of Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16, Romans 10:9,10, others) and not an odds driven wager/gamble.

A much better framework for defending the existence of God is shown here (at least in part): http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... answer.asp

Wow welcome back joel. Where have you been for 3 years? I'm glad you came back.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Joel25

QuoteWow welcome back joel. Where have you been for 3 years? I'm glad you came back.

lol Thanks!

DropLogic

Quote2. According to the Bible a true saving belief in God is based on heart change and confession of Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16, Romans 10:9,10, others) and not an odds driven wager/gamble.
This is one part that always bugs me.  How does anyone know this is the requirement to get into heaven?  
I also find myself asking, why would god set up this game where you have to believe in him with no proof at all in order to hang out at his place after you die, or else suffer eternal pain.  Doesn't that seem childish to you believers?  Just think about it for a second, don't answer automatically.  It almost seems like it's made up by man, to control other men with fear.

Thumpalumpacus

Using the Bible as evidence of your god is circular reasoning.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Byronazriel

I always assumed that heaven was like one of those stuffy/fancy parties where you can only get in if you know someone who's on the List... or if you're hot/cool enough, and they have a whole bunch of stupid rules like black tie only.

DropLogic

Quote from: "Byronazriel"I always assumed that heaven was like one of those stuffy/fancy parties where you can only get in if you know someone who's on the List... or if you're hot/cool enough, and they have a whole bunch of stupid rules like black tie only.
If the requirements to get into heaven are accurate, and all that stuff in the bible is true...Heaven would be empty.