News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

End of FCC’s “Fleeting Profanity” Policy

Started by Sophus, July 15, 2010, 01:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/court-rules-to-end-fccs-fleeting-profanity-policy/

Quote“‘By prohibiting all `patently offensive’ references to sex, sexual organs and excretion without giving adequate guidance as to what `patently offensive’ means, the FCC effectively chills speech, because broadcasters have no way of knowing what the FCC will find offensive,’ the appeals court wrote.
‘To place any discussion of these vast topics at the broadcaster’s peril has the effect of promoting wide self-censorship of valuable material which should be completely protected under the First Amendment,’ it added.
The court said the FCC might be able to craft a policy that does not violate the First Amendment.
FCC spokeswoman Jen Howard had no immediate comment.”
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

skwurll

What does this mean exactly?
No more innuendo on kids shows?

Tank

Quote from: "skwurll"What does this mean exactly?
No more innuendo on kids shows?
I think it reads that the FCC by producing ambiguous guidelines has caused programme makers/producers to be over cautious in there output and as such have  produced output not true to the wishes of the writers of programmes, thus they have unintentionally suppressed the right to free speech of the writers.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sophus

Tank's got the idea. Prudish American television should now be less prudish. The FCC profanity policy has been ruled unconstitutional.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

skwurll

[quote="Tank"
I think it reads that the FCC by producing ambiguous guidelines has caused programme makers/producers to be over cautious in there output and as such have  produced output not true to the wishes of the writers of programmes, thus they have unintentionally suppressed the right to free speech of the writers.[/quote]

They're taking the ambiguity out of their guidelines? That's not going to be any fun.

Davin

Quote from: "skwurll"They're taking the ambiguity out of their guidelines? That's not going to be any fun.
If they take the ambiguity out, then they'll be forced to create guidelines that follows in the lines of the constitution.

As for the comment about kiddy shows, I highly doubt they will change very much, if at all.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.