News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

One more post on the Flat Earthers

Started by Martin TK, July 11, 2010, 11:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tanker

I don't get people like this, how can you believe this crap. Of course I've read debates with Hollow Earthers (real thing) where we apparently live on the inside and once a woman talking about how god made both a Solar and Lunar eclipse at the same time while still believeing the world is round. People of this stipe make me very fearfull for the future.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Martin TK

Fortunately most of the Flat Earthers are very much on the fringe of society, and therefore don't have a lot of pull in society at all.  I just find them interesting from a psychologist standpoint, and I like to listen to all sides of a debate.  Perhaps a flaw of my own psychology, I'm not sure.

And, Tank, I love the line you have about being a terrible speller.  I have a PhD, and I can't spell for anything, if it weren't for spell check and a good editor, most of my works would read very poorly indeed.  So, chin up my good man, if spelling were a sign of unintelligence, there would be a lot of us out there without jobs.

M
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

GAYtheist

If stupid didn't regularly give me a headache, I might consider possibly, potentially, maybe checking it out.

No, I wouldn't
"It is my view that the atomic bomb is only slightly less dangerous than religion." John Paschal, myself.

"The problem with humanity is not that we are all born inherently stupid, that's just common knowledge. No, the problem with humanity is that 95% of us never grow out of it." John Paschal, myself

Tank

Quote from: "Martin TK"And, Tank, I love the line you have about being a terrible speller.  I have a PhD, and I can't spell for anything, if it weren't for spell check and a good editor, most of my works would read very poorly indeed.  So, chin up my good man, if spelling were a sign of unintelligence, there would be a lot of us out there without jobs.

M
I couldn't even tell you if it's a Spelling B, Be or Bee  :verysad:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Caecilian

Quote from: "GAYtheist"If stupid didn't regularly give me a headache, I might consider possibly, potentially, maybe checking it out.

No, I wouldn't
Listen: If stupid gives you a headache, then these guys will make your brain explode.

They go waaaaay beyond mere stupidity.

And as Martin says ITS NOT A JOKE.  :crazy:  :crazy:  :brick:  :brick:

KDbeads

Quote from: "Caecilian"
Quote from: "GAYtheist"If stupid didn't regularly give me a headache, I might consider possibly, potentially, maybe checking it out.

No, I wouldn't
Listen: If stupid gives you a headache, then these guys will make your brain explode.

They go waaaaay beyond mere stupidity.

And as Martin says ITS NOT A JOKE.  :crazy:  :crazy:  :brick:  :crazy:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Thumpalumpacus

I don't know what y'all are on about.  I lmaoed the entire time.  It's good, clean entertainment.

McQ

I decided to take some time and see what their site was like. All I can say is I appreciate this site A LOT MORE now!  :D

They redefine stupid and ignorant over there. I could picture all the fingers in the ears of the Flat Earthers, while they simultaneously went, "I can't hear you!!!!", to the people trying to reason with them. Cripes! Just the thread on the curvature of the Earth from an airplane almost made my head explode!

Thanks for the link and the laughs!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Martin TK

Happy to have brought this to everyone attention.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Asmodean

Quote from: "skevosmavros"Surely Flat Earth sites are just satirical now?

Surely?
That right there. I says that too.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tanker

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "Martin TK"And, Tank, I love the line you have about being a terrible speller.  I have a PhD, and I can't spell for anything, if it weren't for spell check and a good editor, most of my works would read very poorly indeed.  So, chin up my good man, if spelling were a sign of unintelligence, there would be a lot of us out there without jobs.

M

Um Tank I think he mant that for me buddy. (at least it makes more sence when you read my sig)
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Thumpalumpacus

Martin, thanks for doing so.  I dropped this on the forum I help mod, and they ate it up with smiles and groans alike.

Tank

Quote from: "Tanker"
Quote from: "Tank"

M
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

karadan

Quote from: "KDbeads"Wait.... I actually do have a question.... How do they explain the visible curvature of the earth?  Seriously, there is a fire tower out here that I can hike up with a camera and you can see the curvature ever so slightly with in the pics.  How do they 'debunk' that?

Giant space mirrors....

Seriously.

:raised:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.