News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

One more post on the Flat Earthers

Started by Martin TK, July 11, 2010, 11:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin TK

Hi gang,

I recently joined a Flat Earth forum site, mainly because I knew so little about the FE theory, and felt that I could perhaps gain a better understanding of the "science" behind why some people actually believe that the earth is a flat plane.  So far, this is what I have been able to gather.

The earth is flat, and to some it is an infinite plane.  On the edges there is a giant ICE WALL, that is guarded so that man can't come close enough to it to examine it.
The Round Earth Theory, I know laughable to call it a theory, is a conspiracy, not from the government, but from corporations that make money on the illusion of a round earth.
The sun is only some 30,000 miles from the earth and is only 3,000 miles wide.  It is a disc, but it is not nuclear reactive, no one knows quite what causes the light and heat from the sun.  Also, the moon is about the same distance away and has its own light source, atmosphere, and weather.  The moon's phases and eclipses of both the moon and the sun are caused by, and I am NOT making this up, an anti moon and a black sun.

The solar system we live in does NOT rotate as we have been taught.  The stars and the planets are all fixed objects in the sky, all about the same size as the sun and the moon, but at differing distances from the earth.
Noone is quite sure what is on the underside of the earth, probably iron.
Man has never been in space, and according to their "math" it is impossible to travel into space if we wanted to.
According to some, the light from the moon is very dangerous, and we should wear sunglasses if we look at it for any length of time.

I'm sure I'm leaving some things out, and I'm even more sure that I could learn more by going back to the site.  It's actually very interesting to listen to their comments, I find that their reasoning is similar to the Intelligent Design folks, even to the point of them having their own reasoning, language, and proofs for a flat earth.  If anyone wants the site address, ask me, I'm not sure what the rules are for posting other sites are on here.

Peace.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

KDbeads

Quote from: "Martin TK"According to some, the light from the moon is very dangerous, and we should wear sunglasses if we look at it for any length of time.
I wear my sunglasses at night, so I can, so I can see the light..........
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KDbeads

Sorry.... I can't say much without totally breaking down into a laughing fit......  The earth is flat...  the sun and moon are disks.... anti moons....

roflol
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KDbeads

Wait.... I actually do have a question.... How do they explain the visible curvature of the earth?  Seriously, there is a fire tower out here that I can hike up with a camera and you can see the curvature ever so slightly with in the pics.  How do they 'debunk' that?

TheJackel

Never ask these people to fly in a plane, or to take the time to send their own cellphones into the atmosphere via balloon to take pictures.. They would all commit mass suicide with Niki shoes on while worshiping the flatworm as some magical 2D God fairy. And surely never ask these people to fly around the planet to come back to the same point in which they had began at..

And aren't these people religious for the most part?

Businessocks

Wow, really?  Sites like that aren't just jokes?  Yikes.
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

KebertX

I have two things to say:

1) WHAT?!?
2) Wow...

Every shred of reality in the entire universe can be piled into a giant fucking mountain of evidence that the Earth is round.  This is funny as hell.
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

KDbeads

Out of morbid curiosity I visited the forum and site................  :brick:  :brick:  :brick:  :brick:  :brick:

Remind me not to do that again please :shake:

TheJackel

Anyone that posts the link to this site/forum should be banned from not just this site, but from the planet itself..No, wait, from this side of existence!  :fear:

skevosmavros

Surely Flat Earth sites are just satirical now?

Surely?
Skevos Mavros
http://www.mavart.com

skwurll

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Caecilian

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Please link?
Well, You asked for it....

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

The link gets you to their homepage. From there its easy to navigate to the forums, the flat earth library and the flat earth wiki. Yep, thats right- they have a library and a wiki.  :crazy:

Martin TK

I should have warned you guys, put up a disclaimer or something.  

They are NOT joking, there are serious Flat Earthers out there.  They have their own language, science, etc.  The curvature of the earth is explained as some kind of slight "bump" in the middle of the earth.  And, finally, NO they aren't all religious, in fact no one from the forum has said a thing about the bible since I've been there.  I just have been having some fun with them, that's all.  I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

M
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion