News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Cloned meat, would you eat it?

Started by Tank, July 11, 2010, 08:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If at some point in the future there were a way to create 'beef' from stem cells cultured in a vegatative media would you eat it?

For arguments sake the 'beef' is produced in a lean mince form suitable for hamburgers, meatloaf and the like. It's indistinguishable chemically and biologically from a 'natural' product except it's microscopic structure is more regular. The production process is entirely vegan in nature and the original donor cell is perpetual cloned so there is no additional animal product input.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MariaEvri

if they were safe for consumption, I would. Theres too many humans around and not as many animalss
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Thumpalumpacus

I don't see any immediate reason why not.  Not only would it ease pressure for clear-cutting pastureland that is going on in the tropics, it would ease the suffering of animals subject to industrial farming, and, presumably, reduce the ecological damage such factory farms produce.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tank

I agree with both the above comments, I would have no problem eating it.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

KDbeads

All depends on whether or not I have enough land to pasture my own cattle.  If I do then ya'll can have the cloned meat, I'll take my grass fed sirloin steak medium with mushroom sauce ;)

I don't see a problem with cloned meats honestly, just not thinking they are for me.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"All depends on whether or not I have enough land to pasture my own cattle.  If I do then ya'll can have the cloned meat, I'll take my grass fed sirloin steak medium with mushroom sauce ;)

I don't see a problem with cloned meats honestly, just not thinking they are for me.
Well I agree if you're looking at 'cuts' as opposed to mince then one would probably have production issues, but that level of cloning may be possible at some point as well. I'd do medium rare for a sirloin and rare for a fillet  :drool

Martin TK

Me? I'll eat anything so long as it's clean and safe.  I grew up on a farm in South Carolina, I worked for my uncle on a hog farm, for a cousin in his processing plant, and did a many a hog killings in the fall.  If I'll eat sausage and "puddin" I'll eat just about anything.

So, yes, I'd eat it, oh and it would have to taste yummy...  ;)
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Caecilian

Sure I'd eat it. Can't think of any reason not to.

I wouldn't limit myself to the cloned stuff though. Mince is okay, but nothing beats a good steak.

Tank

So far acceptance of the idea has been fine. Would one continue to eat it? Well that appears to be down to the more subjective issues such as taste and texture. The comments here have been quite open minded, which is probably due to the nature of the membership here. I'll have to go and ask on some different forums.

Thumpalumpacus

I don't see a health issue, myself, though there are some here in America who swearing up and down that GM/cloned foods must be bad for you.  Myself, I think it's leakage from the vegetarian/whole foods/organic movement.  A category error.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

pinkocommie

I would.  If it was healthy and tasted good, I would love it.  I always feel a little bad about eating meat anyway.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Martin TK"If I'll eat sausage and "puddin" I'll eat just about anything.
A bit more respect for the "puddin" please.

I'm looking forward to trying lab meat.
Hopefully it will be better than mince.
The process of mincing doesn't benefit the texture, and often the quality isn't the best to start with.

Martin TK

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"
Quote from: "Martin TK"If I'll eat sausage and "puddin" I'll eat just about anything.
A bit more respect for the "puddin" please.

quote]

Sorry, no disrespect of the puddin.. LOL.. I actually like Puddin, both kinds.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

Anthemyst

With enough reason to believe it was safe and healthy (as healthy as meat can be) I would be all over it! I used to be a vegetarian, and have since lapsed, but I would jump at the chance to have my steak and eat it, too.
I like that after the flood, the first thing that Noah does is plant a vineyard because, when you're one of eight people left in the world and you have to repopulate the earth with your 600+ year old wife, that's when you really need a drink, isn't it?

AHeathenReadstheBible.com

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Anthemyst"With enough reason to believe it was safe and healthy (as healthy as meat can be) I would be all over it! I used to be a vegetarian, and have since lapsed, but I would jump at the chance to have my steak and eat it, too.

Yeah, this is the boat I'm in as well.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/