News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Things I've Learned at Yahoo Answers

Started by Squid, July 04, 2010, 12:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squid

I've visited Yahoo Answers off and on over the past two or three years and have made a few observations regarding the site:

1) Many people aren't looking for a right answer
2) The "best" answer may fall into several categories:
* Reaffirms the asker's stance
* Was the funniest answer
* Had the most thumbs up - selection by anonymous committee
3) Posting well referenced answers will get you accused of copying and pasting
4) Most people asking questions about evolution don't want any answers which support the theory
5) Apparently dinosaurs were hunted to extinction by man
6) Macroevolution is based on faith
7) History doesn't matter, book and DVD sales validate ideas
8) Evolution = faith/belief; Creationism = Validation through Youtube
9) Dream Interpretation > Giant Jay Leno
10) Nightmares = Demonic Possession

I don't visit there as much as I used to as I find I get more frustrated than anything.

Thank you for coming along with me on this little journey through the minds of people on teh interwebz.

Sophus

I've never cared much for Yahoo anything. Although I'll use Yahoo answers sometimes to get peoples' opinions/reviews of certain products.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

Squid

There seems to be an unusually high concentration of people just like that there...it makes me question if the Flynn Effect still applies.

karadan

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Quote from: "karadan":brick:  :brick:  :brick:

At least we have Wikipedia for real answers, right? :)
Or at least a starting point, Wiki references are no accepted by The Open University in the UK, the guidelines say you can start there but your final references must come from a reliable source.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

karadan

QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Quote from: "karadan"Hence the smiley tank :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ellainix

I love Yahoo Answers! But not for any practical purpose :P
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Ellainix"I love Yahoo Answers! But not for any practical purpose :P

Haha, exactly.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/