News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Aussie PM an Atheist?

Started by Nikky, June 29, 2010, 08:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikky

Whether this is true or not, I'm hoping it is.  Although I'm wondering if this information will lose votes for Labor, I'm sure many Christians will not vote for an Atheist.

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/5566/Jesus-Our-PMs-an-atheist.htm

Ellainix

I feel like we are on the edge of a new era!
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Tank

Only hard line Christians won't vote for an atheist in the UK, and by hard line I mean those that take a person's religious alignment into consideration when voting for them. Politicians standing on a religious ticket in the UK get laughed out of the polling station, I'm sure this is why Tony Blair kept his theistic leanings under wraps for all those years. Religion and politics make very poor bed fellows in the UK. Apparently the exact antithesis of the USA. I don't know how it comes into play in Australia.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

I think our prime minister is a de-facto atheist (Or apatheist, if you prefer) but one thing I like about our government - religion is never the number one issue when it comes to elections.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

One day this will happen in America too.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Dretlin

Reminds me of Nick Clegg some weeks ago.

Ellainix

Quote from: "Tank"Only hard line Christians won't vote for an atheist in the UK, and by hard line I mean those that take a person's religious alignment into consideration when voting for them. Politicians standing on a religious ticket in the UK get laughed out of the polling station, I'm sure this is why Tony Blair kept his theistic leanings under wraps for all those years. Religion and politics make very poor bed fellows in the UK. Apparently the exact antithesis of the USA. I don't know how it comes into play in Australia.

In the US, being a Christian is the first thing most people look for in voting. In a few states, being Christian is required to be elected.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Dretlin

Quote from: "Ellainix"
Quote from: "Tank"Only hard line Christians won't vote for an atheist in the UK, and by hard line I mean those that take a person's religious alignment into consideration when voting for them. Politicians standing on a religious ticket in the UK get laughed out of the polling station, I'm sure this is why Tony Blair kept his theistic leanings under wraps for all those years. Religion and politics make very poor bed fellows in the UK. Apparently the exact antithesis of the USA. I don't know how it comes into play in Australia.

In the US, being a Christian is the first thing most people look for in voting. In a few states, being Christian is required to be elected.

Does your constitution overdrive State law? (Forgive me if I have not managed to get the terminology correct)

Tank

This is what I figured the case to be.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Cecilie

Quote from: "Asmodean"I think our prime minister is a de-facto atheist (Or apatheist, if you prefer) but one thing I like about our government - religion is never the number one issue when it comes to elections.

Very true.
The world's what you create.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Cecilie"Very true.
Even our Christian party accepts anybody as long as they are members of the state church, or so I hear... You only need to be a practicing Christian to hold a higher position within its ranks... But whoever votes for those loonies anyways... :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

KDbeads

Quote from: "Dretlin"

Does your constitution overdrive State law? (Forgive me if I have not managed to get the terminology correct)

I think it would if the state constitutions were challenged in the supreme court.  We were just talking about that the other day....
I know here in TX it's a requirement for any elected office to believe in a supreme being/higher power.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

Quote from: "KDbeads"I think it would if the state constitutions were challenged in the supreme court.  We were just talking about that the other day....
I know here in TX it's a requirement for any elected office to believe in a supreme being/higher power.
WTF!!! An atheist can't stand for office in Texas? You're kidding me!

karadan

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "KDbeads"I think it would if the state constitutions were challenged in the supreme court.  We were just talking about that the other day....
WTF!!! An atheist can't stand for office in Texas? You're kidding me!

Before i became a member here i was oblivious to that fact as well. It's a very crazy situation.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Dretlin

Wit!?