News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Congratulations, Anne D:clapping:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

co gratulations.

why does law interest you?

set the function, not the mechanism.

Ecurb Noselrub

Congrats, Anne D. I'm an attorney.  When do you take the Bar?  What state?  What kind of law do you want to practice?

I've been practicing almost 40 years - there are worse professions.  Live long and prosper.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Anne D. on May 20, 2021, 03:24:52 AM
This weekend I graduated law school at the ripe young age of 45 (in the US it's a 3-year postgrad degree). It was a grueling semester in many ways, not least of which involved my not being able to breathe well after developing really bad bronchitis. End of last month when I was finally able to get in to a pulmonologist (US has The.Best.Health.Care.System.In.The.World!) my lung function was down to 30 percent. The pulmonologist, an Aussie, was amazing and kind and extremely competent and got me on meds and breathing normally again in a few days. I can fucking breathe again! So fucking grateful and happy. Weeded my little garden today. Spring has sprung here. I'm vaccinated as are all my peops, whom I finally got to see and hug this weekend after a year of not. Feeling so grateful and happy.  :D

Congrats, Anne! :party:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Anne D.

Thanks, all!  :)

Billy rubin, I went to law school because I see being a lawyer as a way to help others more meaningfully and directly than I was able to with my existing education and background. So far it's proven true. While in school I've been able to represent many clients facing criminal charges (Minnesota allows students to practice under supervision); for me, nothing really compares to the feeling of getting someone released from custody or getting his or her case dismissed. Our criminal legal system is clogged with so many bullshit cases.

Ecurb N., I didn't realize you were an attorney.  :) What kind of law? I take the bar at the end of July here in Minnesota. My goal is to get hired on with a public defender's office within the next two years. Most of the area offices aren't hiring those who haven't passed the bar yet, though, and competition is pretty fierce in my metro area, so I'll likely end up clerking for a judge for a year or two first.

Recusant

Splendid to hear, Anne D. and my sincere congratulations. I admire your willingness to take on the task of getting through law school, and hurrah for being able to breathe!

:brava:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Anne D. on May 20, 2021, 03:24:52 AM
This weekend I graduated law school at the ripe young age of 45 (in the US it's a 3-year postgrad degree). It was a grueling semester in many ways, not least of which involved my not being able to breathe well after developing really bad bronchitis. End of last month when I was finally able to get in to a pulmonologist (US has The.Best.Health.Care.System.In.The.World!) my lung function was down to 30 percent. The pulmonologist, an Aussie, was amazing and kind and extremely competent and got me on meds and breathing normally again in a few days. I can fucking breathe again! So fucking grateful and happy. Weeded my little garden today. Spring has sprung here. I'm vaccinated as are all my peops, whom I finally got to see and hug this weekend after a year of not. Feeling so grateful and happy.  :D

A very good reason to be cheerful!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Anne D.

Ecurb Noselrub

I was a clerk for a federal judge for 2 years, a trial lawyer for 25 years, and now am an in-house counsel for a health care system for the past 11 years.

Anne D.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 22, 2021, 02:58:08 AM
I was a clerk for a federal judge for 2 years, a trial lawyer for 25 years, and now am an in-house counsel for a health care system for the past 11 years.

Wow--very cool career path. Kudos on landing a federal clerkship. Pretty darn impressive.

Ecurb Noselrub

It was the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in D. C.   My judge was a senior judge, so we officed in Texas and flew to D.C. or elsewhere to hear oral arguments.  Great first job.

billy rubin

home for a week. took my first shower in 16 days

the house is overrun with kittens. there are kittens upstairs, kittens downstairs, kittens underfoot. luckily theyre all tame so we can give them away after bit

im in bed and there are kittens on the bed , kittens on the windowsill, kittens on the tree stump i use for a nightstand, kittens in the hall

all running around after each other at a million miles anhour while i listen 5o the birds outside

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on June 02, 2021, 11:00:32 AM

the house is overrun with kittens. there are kittens upstairs, kittens downstairs, kittens underfoot. luckily theyre all tame so we can give them away after bit

im in bed and there are kittens on the bed , kittens on the windowsill, kittens on the tree stump i use for a nightstand, kittens in the hall

all running around after each other at a million miles anhour while i listen 5o the birds outside

I am trying to think who will be the best  actor to play you in the TV series based on your life.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Anne D.

Quote from: billy rubin on June 02, 2021, 11:00:32 AM

This sounds lovely. Congrats on being home  :)