Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 14, 2020, 10:08:28 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 05, 2020, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:31:59 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:36:22 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 27, 2020, 12:00:18 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 02:28:02 AM
Me and some people from other labs are thinking about putting together a science communication project for the public. ;D I've arranged an online meeting between us and my supervisor, who has been doing that sort of thing for a long time and knows the ins and outs way better than we do. ;D

I really hope this project goes forward, and will do everything I can to make it so. I love that sort of stuff :grin:

We put a group together and even though one isn't really pulling his weight we've made some progress. After 3 days of trying to choose a name for our social media channels we're deciding whether to open the choice to the public.  ;D We would make a competition of it, using consolidated social media channels associated with the other neuroscience students' initiatives to reap submissions.

Ok so the 'name competition' didn't work out, but now we're seeing if we can turn ours into a university extension project, which will make it a student initiative and, if it doesn't fall through it will be passed on to future "generations" of neuroscience grad students.

We've been writing a letter to send to one of the professors responsible for the other extension project, namely a yearly neuroscience course for undergrads. It took us about a week to get one page done. ::)

But it's happening! I don't know if the professor can help us in that regard but it's happening! :grin:

If it works out, we probably won't have to choose a name.  ;D

So, the letter sort of came to a standstill. ::) For now.

One person took issue with our choice of adding a few quotes on how education is a powerful tool to change the world (Nelson Mandela's "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." and Malala's similar "One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.")

He went on a rant on how he just can't sign a letter in good conscious with quotes he doesn't agree with and wrote long messages which were basically mental masturbation. ::)

:picard facepalm:

Ugh, frustrating!

The letter has finally been sent!  :woohoo!:

We have support from professors! :woohoo!:

I have taken temporary control over an existing Facebook page (with almost 6.000 followers) so we have put our first posts there, including the name competition. Another person is in charge of the Instagram page.

https://www.facebook.com/CursoDeNeurocienciasUfrgs

This project is going forward one baby step at a time (look what happens when you put a bunch of procrastinators together  ;D) but at least it's going forward. :grin:
That's wonderful news! Science needs to get out to the public more. There's a lot of silliness to combat.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on June 15, 2020, 12:26:02 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 14, 2020, 10:08:28 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 05, 2020, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:31:59 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:36:22 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 27, 2020, 12:00:18 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 02:28:02 AM
Me and some people from other labs are thinking about putting together a science communication project for the public. ;D I've arranged an online meeting between us and my supervisor, who has been doing that sort of thing for a long time and knows the ins and outs way better than we do. ;D

I really hope this project goes forward, and will do everything I can to make it so. I love that sort of stuff :grin:

We put a group together and even though one isn't really pulling his weight we've made some progress. After 3 days of trying to choose a name for our social media channels we're deciding whether to open the choice to the public.  ;D We would make a competition of it, using consolidated social media channels associated with the other neuroscience students' initiatives to reap submissions.

Ok so the 'name competition' didn't work out, but now we're seeing if we can turn ours into a university extension project, which will make it a student initiative and, if it doesn't fall through it will be passed on to future "generations" of neuroscience grad students.

We've been writing a letter to send to one of the professors responsible for the other extension project, namely a yearly neuroscience course for undergrads. It took us about a week to get one page done. ::)

But it's happening! I don't know if the professor can help us in that regard but it's happening! :grin:

If it works out, we probably won't have to choose a name.  ;D

So, the letter sort of came to a standstill. ::) For now.

One person took issue with our choice of adding a few quotes on how education is a powerful tool to change the world (Nelson Mandela's "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." and Malala's similar "One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.")

He went on a rant on how he just can't sign a letter in good conscious with quotes he doesn't agree with and wrote long messages which were basically mental masturbation. ::)

:picard facepalm:

Ugh, frustrating!

The letter has finally been sent!  :woohoo!:

We have support from professors! :woohoo!:

I have taken temporary control over an existing Facebook page (with almost 6.000 followers) so we have put our first posts there, including the name competition. Another person is in charge of the Instagram page.

https://www.facebook.com/CursoDeNeurocienciasUfrgs

This project is going forward one baby step at a time (look what happens when you put a bunch of procrastinators together  ;D) but at least it's going forward. :grin:
That's wonderful news! Science needs to get out to the public more. There's a lot of silliness to combat.

Especially in Brazil...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

its friday!

all sorts of stuff to do on the weekend now

set the function, not the mechanism.

Randy

Should I spoil Billy's fantasy? Nah, it's Friday for me too!
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Randy

billy rubin

yes

friday

workweek is over for two days. don't have the alarm clock going off at 0300, don't have to be asleep at 1900, and i can finally

put the new speedometer cable in the buell
put the new turn signal and handlebar clip on the ninja
fix the rear brake and put the motor back in the triumph
take off the rear sets and clip ons and go back to stock on the other triumph
change the chaincase oil in the norton
see if the BSA starts
see if the other BSA starts
find the ignition for the other other BSA
see about selling the other other other BSA
put the nw battery in the little honda
change the oil in one, two, three? trucks and a minivan
burn about 100 feet of junk beehives
order foundation and clear up some new boxes for the live beehives
make my desk raccoon-proof
set up the fish tank with etheostoma and notropis from the creek
drink beer and watch the lightning bugs

im not sure i can get all this done except for the last part

xSilverPhinx

My cousin's baby was born today. The baby and I share the same name, and that isn't a coincidence. :grin:

billy rubin

you were the surrogate mother?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on June 15, 2020, 09:53:17 PM
you were the surrogate mother?

:lol: No...

She decided it was a good idea for her only daughter to be my namesake. :grin: Our friendship goes way back.

No one

But does she have your eyes?

Randy

Quote from: No one on June 15, 2020, 10:53:16 PM
Gosh, I hope not. Then how would Silver be able to see? The baby should have come with a default set.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 15, 2020, 09:43:26 PM
My cousin's baby was born today. The baby and I share the same name, and that isn't a coincidence. :grin:

Congratulations, once removed!  :)

No one

Sounds like she loves you lotz.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Randy on June 15, 2020, 11:34:48 PM
Quote from: No one on June 15, 2020, 10:53:16 PM
Gosh, I hope not. Then how would Silver be able to see? The baby should have come with a default set.

:lol: