News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 27, 2020, 12:00:18 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 02:28:02 AM
Me and some people from other labs are thinking about putting together a science communication project for the public. ;D I've arranged an online meeting between us and my supervisor, who has been doing that sort of thing for a long time and knows the ins and outs way better than we do. ;D

I really hope this project goes forward, and will do everything I can to make it so. I love that sort of stuff :grin:

We put a group together and even though one isn't really pulling his weight we've made some progress. After 3 days of trying to choose a name for our social media channels we're deciding whether to open the choice to the public.  ;D We would make a competition of it, using consolidated social media channels associated with the other neuroscience students' initiatives to reap submissions.

Ok so the 'name competition' didn't work out, but now we're seeing if we can turn ours into a university extension project, which will make it a student initiative and, if it doesn't fall through it will be passed on to future "generations" of neuroscience grad students.

We've been writing a letter to send to one of the professors responsible for the other extension project, namely a yearly neuroscience course for undergrads. It took us about a week to get one page done. ::)

But it's happening! I don't know if the professor can help us in that regard but it's happening! :grin:

If it works out, we probably won't have to choose a name.  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:36:22 AM
Me and some people from other labs are thinking about putting together a science communication project for the public. ;D I've arranged an online meeting between us and my supervisor, who has been doing that sort of thing for a long time and knows the ins and outs way better than we do. ;D

I really hope this project goes forward, and will do everything I can to make it so. I love that sort of stuff :grin:

We put a group together and even though one isn't really pulling his weight we've made some progress. After 3 days of trying to choose a name for our social media channels we're deciding whether to open the choice to the public.  ;D We would make a competition of it, using consolidated social media channels associated with the other neuroscience students' initiatives to reap submissions.

Ok so the 'name competition' didn't work out, but now we're seeing if we can turn ours into a university extension project, which will make it a student initiative and, if it doesn't fall through it will be passed on to future "generations" of neuroscience grad students.

We've been writing a letter to send to one of the professors responsible for the other extension project, namely a yearly neuroscience course for undergrads. It took us about a week to get one page done. ::)

But it's happening! I don't know if the professor can help us in that regard but it's happening! :grin:

So, the letter sort of came to a standstill. ::) For now.

One person took issue with our choice of adding a few quotes on how education is a powerful tool to change the world (Nelson Mandela's "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." and Malala's similar "One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.")

He went on a rant on how he just can't sign a letter in good conscious with quotes he doesn't agree with and wrote long messages which were basically mental masturbation. ::)

:picard facepalm:

Ugh, frustrating!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:31:59 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:36:22 AM

So, the letter sort of came to a standstill. ::) For now.

One person took issue with our choice of adding a few quotes on how education is a powerful tool to change the world (Nelson Mandela's "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." and Malala's similar "One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.")

He went on a rant on how he just can't sign a letter in good conscious with quotes he doesn't agree with and wrote long messages which were basically mental masturbation. ::)

:picard facepalm:

Ugh, frustrating!

The letter has finally been sent!  :woohoo!:

hermes2015

It is so easy to make me cheerful: they've allowed my really excellent local art supply shop to reopen!

When I went to get some much-needed paint, they had someone at the door to fire an IR beam at my forehead. After confirming that I wasn't an evil alien, they let me in. Oh, and on top of that, one was required to wear a mask and fill in a register to supply name, address, email address, and phone number. Despite the rigmarole, it did make me feel a bit safer.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

That is tracing Hermes as I am sure that you know.  Your people are a damned site better at fighting back at the virus than mine.

Tank

Lovely weather here today. Dogs will be worn out!  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Randy

Any day I wake up on this side of the dirt is a good one. :)

Reasons I'm cheerful are:

• I've got a good caregiver.
  • A morning cup of coffee.
  • Online comic books.
  • Food entering my stomach 24 hours per day.
  • Medication.
  • Friends and family.
  • Having a cheerful disposition.
  • Having a good sense of humor enough to laugh at those who try to make one angry.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on May 15, 2020, 03:37:48 PM

You'll be really pissed off if you wake up on the other side of the dirt! :grin:

Randy

Quote from: Tank on May 15, 2020, 03:58:14 PM
Quote from: Randy on May 15, 2020, 03:37:48 PM

You'll be really pissed off if you wake up on the other side of the dirt! :grin:

:lol: If that happens I had better be a zombie!
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

*Obnoxiously loud breath inhalation of free HAFian air*

It's good to be back!

(I hope I still know how to speak English, heh. :P If I don't, please bear with me. Sometimes languages interact in unpredictable ways in my head.  ;D)

Dark Lightning

:lol: I remember you saying you were going somewhere, but I don't recall where...not that it is any of my business. ¡Welcome back!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 26, 2020, 03:23:01 PM
:lol: I remember you saying you were going somewhere, but I don't recall where...not that it is any of my business. ¡Welcome back!

:grin: Thanks! I had to cast myself into the dark abyss known as 'The Real World' for a while.

(It's good to see I haven't lost my flair for the dramatic.  :P

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken