News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: No one on December 11, 2019, 02:48:26 AM
Perhaps the best thing about this forum is that I can't recall any religitards spewing their destructive excrement across this pristine landscape.

Hang around long enough and you'll see them.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

I have been here for 4 yearsish, and I can't really recall any. Other forums, it's like a weekly thing.

Magdalena

^^^
Oh, yes, I can recall a few characters spewing their destructive excrement across this pristine landscape. Just look in the Dump Pile of Crazy Troll Posts. (Too stupid to be in with the normal topics but too amusing to delete.)
There's Pahu, Parture, Lekatt (near-death experience expert). Gerry Rezpa. There's another one, I can't remember his name but he is a time traveler...

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Michael1

Got a new jacket. I switched to wool for better health and to become more sustainable.
I liked the earth before it was cool.

Tank

Perhaps the best thing about this forum is that I can't recall any religitards spewing their destructive excrement across this pristine landscape.

They have been here in the past. I unilaterally banned one example simply because if he had stayed I would have had to have gone and I wasn't prepared to do that. Fortunately there are bigger forums that tend to attract the major religitards.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on December 11, 2019, 09:13:13 AM

They have been here in the past. I unilaterally banned one example simply because if he had stayed I would have had to have gone and I wasn't prepared to do that. Fortunately there are bigger forums that tend to attract the major religitards.

Of course there have, I actually prefer them to babies.
Ha hmm.
Oh no no  there hasn't :nu-uh:
No I haven't seen any round 'ere :shrug:
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

Quote from: Michael1 on December 11, 2019, 06:50:24 AM
Got a new jacket. I switched to wool for better health and to become more sustainable.

I really like wool. All of my socks are now Merino wool. It's expensive but they last for years and I couldn't be happier.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

there are different degrees of religion.

i'm a quaker, but i'm also a non-theist.

so far as i know the religious society of friends is the only church where it's okay to be an atheist.

lol but not to drink alcohol

set the function, not the mechanism.

No one

Now I am sure a few cuckoo's have flown over this nest. Just not in the droves or weight I have witnessed on some of the other atheistic hotspots. I am glad this place is relatively secluded.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on December 11, 2019, 02:53:48 PM

so far as i know the religious society of friends is the only church where it's okay to be an atheist.

billy rubin, I said to my man, "A quaker came to the forum." He asked, "What's that?" I said, "I don't know, the only quaker I know is this one:
"
I apologize for my ignorance.  :shifty: I don't go out much.
Would you be kind enough to tell me about it? Please.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Arthur Eddington, who seemed to be an interesting man, was also a Quaker.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

Quote from: Magdalena on December 12, 2019, 12:04:27 AM

billy rubin, I said to my man, "A quaker came to the forum." He asked, "What's that?" I said, "I don't know, the only quaker I know is this one:
"

sure

my well is shut in for two hours so im stymied at the moment

quakerz were originally a mystic chrisian movement that came out of england  in the 1650s. we were persecuted at first, and lots moved to the americas-- whole townz, at once. a few of us were transported to austred alia.

over the last 350 years we ve schismed a few times, and most of us now are neo-proteztant, in africa and south america.a smaller proportion are called liberals, and no longer hold christianity or even theism as defining.

an incredibly small group rejects both departures from the original witnesz and triez to remain faithful to the 17th century faith and practice. that s mine, although im not a believer.

quakers believe that god --or something-- speakz to individuals directly, and so we dont need priests, rites, ceremoniez, or zacramentz. a quaker meeting for worship in the old way consists of a group of people who walk into a room, sit down, and just lizten quietly for a while. sometimez somebody is led to zay something, sometimez nobody zayz anything.

after a while we get up and eat lunch, or go protezt something, or in general do stuff that infuriates other religious people.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on December 12, 2019, 04:20:01 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 12, 2019, 12:04:27 AM

"

sure

my well is shut in for two hours so im stymied at the moment

quakerz were originally a mystic chrisian movement that came out of england  in the 1650s. we were persecuted at first, and lots moved to the americas-- whole townz, at once. a few of us were transported to austred alia.

over the last 350 years we ve schismed a few times, and most of us now are neo-proteztant, in africa and south america.a smaller proportion are called liberals, and no longer hold christianity or even theism as defining.

an incredibly small group rejects both departures from the original witnesz and triez to remain faithful to the 17th century faith and practice. that s mine, although im not a believer.

quakers believe that god --or something-- speakz to individuals directly, and so we dont need priests, rites, ceremoniez, or zacramentz. a quaker meeting for worship in the old way consists of a group of people who walk into a room, sit down, and just lizten quietly for a while. sometimez somebody is led to zay something, sometimez nobody zayz anything.

after a while we get up and eat lunch, or go protezt something, or in general do stuff that infuriates other religious people.
Huh. Interesting. That doesn't sound so bad. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Recusant

Unitarian Universalists are another.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

Quote from: Recusant on December 12, 2019, 07:05:47 PM

Unitarian Universalists are another.

UU people make even quakers look weird