News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Not strange at all. Brazil is a big place and what an American may associate with the country won't
necessarily correspond with the individual experience of specific Brazilians.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 29, 2019, 01:14:14 AM
Not strange at all. Brazil is a big place and what an American may associate with the country won't
necessarily correspond with the individual experience of specific Brazilians.

:thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

What are the common dances in your region?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 29, 2019, 01:39:36 AM

Fandango Gaúcho would be one of the more traditional dances in the south.

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 29, 2019, 01:47:14 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on November 29, 2019, 01:39:36 AM

Fandango Gaúcho would be one of the more traditional dances in the south.

I'll have to check it out.

Icarus

JJ I heartily recommend that you involve yourself in the ballroom dance scene.  Ballroom includes several different dances such as Fox Trot, Rhumba, Salsa, Tango, Cha Cha, Waltz, Pasa Doble, and some times Quick Step, or Jive if you have an energetic partner.  Partner is the operative term. Most dance classes will have more women than men. That means that you will be in demand as a male.....unless you are a club footed klutz, which you are not. The Martial arts stuff is helpful in terms of rhythm and balance 

If you become pretty good at those dance steps you will be overwhelmed with opportunities to choose a regular partner.  Ask me how I know all that.  Been there done that.  If that is not enough, it is great fun as well.   

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on November 30, 2019, 02:25:24 AM
JJ I heartily recommend that you involve yourself in the ballroom dance scene.  Ballroom includes several different dances such as Fox Trot, Rhumba, Salsa, Tango, Cha Cha, Waltz, Pasa Doble, and some times Quick Step, or Jive if you have an energetic partner.  Partner is the operative term. Most dance classes will have more women than men. That means that you will be in demand as a male.....unless you are a club footed klutz, which you are not. The Martial arts stuff is helpful in terms of rhythm and balance 

If you become pretty good at those dance steps you will be overwhelmed with opportunities to choose a regular partner.  Ask me how I know all that.  Been there done that.  If that is not enough, it is great fun as well.

Icarus, are you a Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly guy? I prefer Gene Kelly's style and persona any day.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

I have a nice new Dell laptop with 1/2G SSD and i5 10th gen processor. And it has  sweet keyboard!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on November 30, 2019, 12:27:45 PM
I have a nice new Dell laptop with 1/2G SSD and i5 10th gen processor. And it has  sweet keyboard!

Now now Tank, don't go chewing the keyboard!  ;D

:P

Icarus

Hermes, I have no particular preference.  Kelly was a more acrobatic dancer that did a lot of solo stuff.  Astaire was more of a ballroom dancer and his partner had to "dance backward while wearing heels".   I am not at all sure that either of Ke;;y or Astaire would qualify as a classic dancer of this era.  Times and tastes change. 

Meanwhile JJ might do well to explore the possibilities.  Of course that depends on ones needs. The only caveat is that the dance studio people are much too often promoting wannabe dancers who have little or no talent for that exercise.  The studios are after all in business to make money. 

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on December 01, 2019, 04:55:33 AM
Hermes, I have no particular preference.  Kelly was a more acrobatic dancer that did a lot of solo stuff.  Astaire was more of a ballroom dancer and his partner had to "dance backward while wearing heels".   I am not at all sure that either of Ke;;y or Astaire would qualify as a classic dancer of this era.  Times and tastes change. 

Meanwhile JJ might do well to explore the possibilities.  Of course that depends on ones needs. The only caveat is that the dance studio people are much too often promoting wannabe dancers who have little or no talent for that exercise.  The studios are after all in business to make money.

Fred always looked old before his time. Kelly was youthful and had the better smile.

Burt Lancaster was another actor with an incredible smile.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tom62 on November 28, 2019, 11:36:45 AM
Bad news: Thomas Cook Germany is now officially declared dead
Good news: I've got a new job contract that starts on 1st January (better pay and less commute).

Wonderful!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

billy rubin

i have just managed to up my data speed by some 100 percent.

out in the sticks, we've been using a slow satellite service, a decrepit little wireless router that is held together with rubber bands because the corroding battery has forced the case open, and data on our telephones. in its day it was better than the dial up we were using.

but we've got a new satellite dish and a service that's faster than what he had at no more money than the old dish and the wireless router cost us. so i'll be cancelling those.

it's odd to see videos load immediately instead of waiting five minutes or more.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Dark Lightning

I remember when we first got internet and had a DSL. I wasn't even going to try using a dial up modem. My wife complained about speed, and my eldest son told her about how slow his girl friend's internet speed was, which was on a modem. It reminds me of when I worked for an insurance agency back in '72. I had a Comptometer to make all the calculations on. It quit working one day, and the boss handed me a hand crank to turn the shaft that the motor used to turn. Now, that was slow. He finally broke down and bought a Canon digital 10-key adder, which was something like $300, back in '72. I was in the US Navy in the early to mid '70s, and we used slide rules for all of our calculations in Nuclear Power School!

No one

Perhaps the best thing about this forum is that I can't recall any religitards spewing their destructive excrement across this pristine landscape.