News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

I know that feeling. When I retired they had to put three people on the work I was covering all by myself. The company likes that- the more heads they can throw at the programs, the more they can charge the government. I would have stayed until age 65 (I retired at 62) if I could have gotten the raise I had been promised two years before that. In retrospect, I'm glad I retired when I did, because I'd probably be dead now. That job was a real psyche-eater.

hermes2015

I was so lucky my whole working life in that I could always do more or less as I pleased when it came to working hours and procedures. When I retired they had to appoint two new people, one of whom resigned last week, so now they will keep nagging me to help as a consultant.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 11, 2019, 06:03:36 AM
I was so lucky my whole working life in that I could always do more or less as I pleased when it came to working hours and procedures. When I retired they had to appoint two new people, one of whom resigned last week, so now they will keep nagging me to help as a consultant.

$$$$$$$$$ :D :gotthembytheballs:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on April 11, 2019, 08:01:26 AM

Plus, I will only agree to deal with clients who aren't idiots. I will not be overworked!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 11, 2019, 11:33:48 AM
Quote from: Tank on April 11, 2019, 08:01:26 AM

Plus, I will only agree to deal with clients who aren't idiots. I will not be overworked!

:thumbsup2:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Yeah that consulting money! One person asked if I would consult for 4 times what I used to make. It's not generally allowed- the company will usually only go for twice what a person used to make if they consult. I would have done it only if I could have worked from home. But they got the better of the deal with three people doing the work.  ::)

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 11, 2019, 03:13:31 PM
Yeah that consulting money! One person asked if I would consult for 4 times what I used to make. It's not generally allowed- the company will usually only go for twice what a person used to make if they consult. I would have done it only if I could have worked from home. But they got the better of the deal with three people doing the work.  ::)

A lot of my stuff can be done remotely from the comfort of my home. I sometimes hardly noticed I've done any work, but still get paid per hour!
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 11, 2019, 04:06:45 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 11, 2019, 03:13:31 PM

A lot of my stuff can be done remotely from the comfort of my home. I sometimes hardly noticed I've done any work, but still get paid per hour!

Sounds like a great way to make a living...or some extra change on the side!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Yabut, I have exactly zero interest in dealing with those people ever again...even at quadruple wages.  >:(

Bluenose

The way I would see it is set a price at which you would be happy to do the work, even if that is ten or twenty times the normal rate.  But I get it that you might not be prepared to work for some people at any price.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

I am withdrawing slowly, because I am too caught up in my other interests like classical music and art. I am also trying to improve my skills in ZBrush, which has been a slow, painful process, given its quirky user interface. It's unlike any other graphics program out there, but the effort to learn to use it will be rewarding in the end.  http://pixologic.com/zbrush/industry/movies-vfx/

I never play computer games, but enjoy learning to use new software. The music listening room is almost where I want it, so that's another thing keeping me busy. I find the days are too short now that I have retired, so I guess that is a reason to be cheerful. Many people never develop any other interests and are actually married to their jobs, so they just wither away when they retire.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Bluenose on April 14, 2019, 04:57:50 AM
The way I would see it is set a price at which you would be happy to do the work, even if that is ten or twenty times the normal rate.  But I get it that you might not be prepared to work for some people at any price.

Believe me, some of the worst ones I've trained are the PhDs, some of whom seem to lack any common sense. I am allowed to say that, because I am one.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I figure I'll get to retire right after lunch on the day I die.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 14, 2019, 05:52:22 AM
I am withdrawing slowly, because I am too caught up in my other interests like classical music and art. I am also trying to improve my skills in ZBrush, which has been a slow, painful process, given its quirky user interface. It's unlike any other graphics program out there, but the effort to learn to use it will be rewarding in the end.  http://pixologic.com/zbrush/industry/movies-vfx/

I never play computer games, but enjoy learning to use new software. The music listening room is almost where I want it, so that's another thing keeping me busy. I find the days are too short now that I have retired, so I guess that is a reason to be cheerful. Many people never develop any other interests and are actually married to their jobs, so they just wither away when they retire.

Too short days are a sign that you are doing what you like! When my wife was telling her friends that I was retiring, they almost unanimously asked whatever would I do. I have so many things that I want to do before I die that I'm not going to have time. I've actually put a couple of hobbies aside, as I haven't touched them in many years; since I haven't made time for them yet, they obviously don't hold enough of my interest.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on April 14, 2019, 01:15:59 PM
I figure I'll get to retire right after lunch on the day I die.
My dad never actually got to retire.