News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

Quote from: Asmodean on September 05, 2018, 08:52:52 AM
De Asbo is dot cheery. De Asbo's dose, which He doesd't habe, by de bay, is all stuffy add biserable. :( Is teddible, He tedds you!  :(
There, there. We will find someone to fix you a hot toddy and tuck you in bed.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on September 05, 2018, 08:56:46 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on September 05, 2018, 08:52:52 AM
De Asbo is dot cheery. De Asbo's dose, which He doesd't habe, by de bay, is all stuffy add biserable. :( Is teddible, He tedds you!  :(
There, there. We will find someone to fix you a hot toddy and tuck you in bed.

The nearest person would be G85!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Geographically, I think people from England may well be closer, as geodesics fly. Norway is a long country. :P

Now, there was talk of whiskey with lemon being good for sickly Asmos, yes? :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Tank:
I having trouble getting my head around a discussion on pain in the 'Reasons to be cheerful!' thread

Not into the S&M scene then, huh Tank?

Tank

Quote from: No one on September 05, 2018, 10:13:06 AM
Tank:
I having trouble getting my head around a discussion on pain in the 'Reasons to be cheerful!' thread

Not into the S&M scene then, huh Tank?

That discussion resulted in the implosion of the Richard Dawkins Forum! And no, I'll not say anything more on the subject  :teadrink:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 05, 2018, 02:30:33 AM

:notsure: I haven't thought of my pain scale yet, but the appendicitis I had when I was 5 would definitely be up there.

How reliable is that memory?

I avoid pain because I don't like it, I've never broken a bone.
Migraines aren't much fun, I haven't had one for ages though.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on September 05, 2018, 08:03:39 AM
I having trouble getting my head around a discussion on pain in the 'Reasons to be cheerful!' thread :rofl:

Well, any time I'm not is pain is reason enough to be cheerful.  Which is most of the time, so that's another reason...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on September 05, 2018, 08:03:39 AM
I having trouble getting my head around a discussion on pain in the 'Reasons to be cheerful!' thread :rofl:

:rofl:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on September 05, 2018, 11:22:20 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 05, 2018, 02:30:33 AM

:notsure: I haven't thought of my pain scale yet, but the appendicitis I had when I was 5 would definitely be up there.

How reliable is that memory?

I avoid pain because I don't like it, I've never broken a bone.
Migraines aren't much fun, I haven't had one for ages though.

Parts of it are unreliable, I was only 5, after all...

For instance, I distinctly remember staying in the hospital for a month after feeling intense pain in my right side. When I got home I told everyone that I had been hospitalised for that long. Turns out I was only there for 2 nights.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on September 05, 2018, 09:40:40 AM
Geographically, I think people from England may well be closer, as geodesics fly. Norway is a long country. :P

Closest medical science has come to a true Panacea, as far as I'm concerned.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Bluenose

Quote from: Guardian85 on September 05, 2018, 08:07:33 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on September 05, 2018, 09:40:40 AM

Closest medical science has come to a true Panacea, as far as I'm concerned.

I would recommend for the Asmo: into half a cup of just boiled water add the juice of half a lemon, a teaspoon of honey and a nip of rum.  Stir well and sip.  Soothes the throat, clears the nose and makes you feel much better!

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Bluenose recipe is faulty.  He says a nip of rum.  Perhaps Strine has a different meaning for the word nip.  In my mind a nip is only a wee bit.  And why dilute perfectly good booze with water?  Such a medicinal should have at least 100 ml of good quality rum.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on September 06, 2018, 03:22:48 AM
Bluenose recipe is faulty.  He says a nip of rum.  Perhaps Strine has a different meaning for the word nip.  In my mind a nip is only a wee bit.  And why dilute perfectly good booze with water?  Such a medicinal should have at least 100 ml of good quality rum.
In the case of medication I wouldn't waste good quality rum. Any old shit will do in these circumstances! :grin:

Bad Penny II

QuoteSometimes I wonder
What all these chemicals
Are doin' to my brain
Doesn't worry me enough
To stop me from doin' it agai-ai-ain
Wipin' out brain cells
By the millions but I don't care
It doesn't worry me
Even though I ain't got a lot to spare-are-are
Woh-hoh-oh, the nips are gettin' bigger
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bluenose

A nip is a standard 30 ml shot of spirit.  I can't help it if you Pommies don't even know your own language!  ;)  :D

Oh, and Tank is quite right.  I wouldn't use good drinking rum, any available cheap rum will do, after all you're going to add honey and lemon.  Over here I'd go for Bundaberg rum, which I normally have on hand for cooking purposes, but is also OK mixed with Coke, which I would never do with one of my favourite rums.  Think of it as the Johnny Walker Red Label of rums..

GNU Terry Pratchett