News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 02, 2018, 11:18:44 PM
Quote from: Fireball on September 02, 2018, 11:11:07 PM
Back story (well, side story): I was carrying some heavy boxes and walking sideways in the garage, and walked right into the corner of a cabinet. Maybe they were only bruised, but they have hurt for a couple weeks.

*shudder!*

Thanks for the empathy!  :D Shoulda gone to the doctor and had an X-ray taken, just to have the street cred of broken ribs!  :P

I'm a firm believer in good medicine, but I won't go until the pain is intense, or I'm bleeding (or just annual checkups- I'm not a complete Neanderthal!) Intense pain is a ruptured appendix. That's the ten on my pain scale when they ask me my pain level in the hospital. I smashed my thumb with a 2-pound sledge hammer (I've actually done that more than once, over the years, as I've done a lot of metal working)  :o and that I'll call an eight.

Dave

Orange Crate Modern, Dave?  :P

I can now squat and/or inhale deeply with little pain! My ribs appear to be healing nicely.

Back story (well, side story): I was carrying some heavy boxes and walking sideways in the garage, and walked right into the corner of a cabinet. Maybe they were only bruised, but they have hurt for a couple weeks.

I was reduced to "bricks and plank primitive" once.

Glad you are mending - but have a belated, empathetic, OUCH! on me.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Velma

Orange Crate Modern, Dave?  :P

I can now squat and/or inhale deeply with little pain! My ribs appear to be healing nicely.

Ouch, ouch, ouch! That reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when I stepped on a wet spot on the bathroom floor and slammed my hip into the doorknob. For the first few hours, it was my wrist that hurt the most since I grabbed the counter at an odd angle to catch myself. Hours later, however, my hip was hurting so much I left work two hours early. Strangely enough, I had virtually no bruise.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Bluenose

Quote from: Fireball on September 03, 2018, 02:56:53 AM
...Intense pain is a ruptured appendix. That's the ten on my pain scale when they ask me my pain level in the hospital. I smashed my thumb with a 2-pound sledge hammer (I've actually done that more than once, over the years, as I've done a lot of metal working)  :o and that I'll call an eight.

The "rate your pain on a one to ten basis where ten is the most pain imaginable" always stumps me.  I can imagine a lot of pain, a lot worse than a burst appendix - I've had one of those and I can imagine much more severe pain than that!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on September 03, 2018, 11:16:05 AM
...Intense pain is a ruptured appendix. That's the ten on my pain scale when they ask me my pain level in the hospital. I smashed my thumb with a 2-pound sledge hammer (I've actually done that more than once, over the years, as I've done a lot of metal working)  :o and that I'll call an eight.

The "rate your pain on a one to ten basis where ten is the most pain imaginable" always stumps me.  I can imagine a lot of pain, a lot worse than a burst appendix - I've had one of those and I can imagine much more severe pain than that!

When they asked me to rate the pain of a fistula on the 1-10 scale my reply was, "Rating the pain of a heart attack at 10 the fistula is 12."
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on September 03, 2018, 11:51:48 AM

When they asked me to rate the pain of a fistula on the 1-10 scale my reply was, "Rating the pain of a heart attack at 10 the fistula is 12."

I hate those "rate your pain questions" where all you get is a number -- that's way too subjective.  The last time I was asked that it took my girlfriend and I a ten minute conference to decide what level my pain was. 

They need to develop a more meaningful rating system, like 1 is hurts but doesn't interfere with daily life (or can handle it with an Advil), 5 is can't use X body part and want to cry from pain, 6 is actually crying from pain, 10 is unconscious or in shock from pain, and so forth.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 02, 2018, 11:18:44 PM

*shudder!*

Thanks for the empathy!  :D Shoulda gone to the doctor and had an X-ray taken, just to have the street cred of broken ribs!  :P

I'm a firm believer in good medicine, but I won't go until the pain is intense, or I'm bleeding (or just annual checkups- I'm not a complete Neanderthal!) Intense pain is a ruptured appendix. That's the ten on my pain scale when they ask me my pain level in the hospital. I smashed my thumb with a 2-pound sledge hammer (I've actually done that more than once, over the years, as I've done a lot of metal working)  :o and that I'll call an eight.

:notsure: I haven't thought of my pain scale yet, but the appendicitis I had when I was 5 would definitely be up there.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on September 03, 2018, 10:10:07 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 03, 2018, 11:51:48 AM

I hate those "rate your pain questions" where all you get is a number -- that's way too subjective.  The last time I was asked that it took my girlfriend and I a ten minute conference to decide what level my pain was. 

They need to develop a more meaningful rating system, like 1 is hurts but doesn't interfere with daily life (or can handle it with an Advil), 5 is can't use X body part and want to cry from pain, 6 is actually crying from pain, 10 is unconscious or in shock from pain, and so forth.

I agree! It doesn't really make sense to try and get a purely objective value from such a rating system since different people have different pain thresholds. My 10 might be your 8, for instance.

When I was a kid I fell from my bike and the handlebar penetrated the skin on my thigh. I still have the scar. I remember it didn't hurt at all if I left it alone and people wondered why I wasn't screaming in pain. Though the wound was ugly, I would have rated it a 3 or 4...menstrual colics hurt more than that.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Hearing rap is the most painful thing anyone can endure.

jumbojak

I consider a ten on the pain scale to be blackout pain. I've experienced that several times in one night while attempting to remove a firmly adhered bandage stuck to my backside, and nearly experienced it again at work a few weeks ago. An eight is where nausea starts to set in and a nine is the point where being physically I'll is a real possibility. Broken bones are a four or five for me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on September 05, 2018, 03:21:44 AM
I consider a ten on the pain scale to be blackout pain. I've experienced that several times in one night while attempting to remove a firmly adhered bandage stuck to my backside, and nearly experienced it again at work a few weeks ago. An eight is where nausea starts to set in and a nine is the point where being physically I'll is a real possibility. Broken bones are a four or five for me.

When I first bitched about the pain scales, PC sent me this, which I found very helpful:  Improved Pain Scale
Sandy

Bluenose

Quote from: Sandra Craft on September 05, 2018, 04:27:56 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on September 05, 2018, 03:21:44 AM

When I first bitched about the pain scales, PC sent me this, which I found very helpful:  Improved Pain Scale

I like the improved scale, except I would put bull ants in place of bees.  Bee stings don't really hurt me all that much.  Bull ants, on the other hand - rather like sticking white hot needles into you.  Absolutely exquisite pain for several hours.  Then a few hours respite, then the itching...  for.weeks.and.weeks....
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

I having trouble getting my head around a discussion on pain in the 'Reasons to be cheerful!' thread :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on September 05, 2018, 08:03:39 AM
I having trouble getting my head around a discussion on pain in the 'Reasons to be cheerful!' thread :rofl:

A serious case of thread drift.
Sandy

Asmodean

De Asbo is dot cheery. De Asbo's dose, which He doesd't habe, by de bay, is all stuffy add biserable. :( Is teddible, He tedds you!  :(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.