News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Fireball on August 29, 2018, 03:07:35 AM
...Back when I worked as a mechanic, I always wore safety boots, but when I was close to graduating from the university, I cheaped out and bought the non-safety variety, saving myself $10. Then I dropped a disc brake rotor mounted in the mandrel when I went to mount it on the lathe...

:o

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I can't do steel toe. Tried for over a year and by the time I gave them up I could barely walk. Does your son wear steel or one of the new composites? I might try a pair of those when my Wolverines give out on me.

I don't want to handle anything that heavy without a gantry though. If this damn tarrif nonsense gets sorted our we might be able to build one for the shop.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 29, 2018, 03:13:07 AM
...Back when I worked as a mechanic, I always wore safety boots, but when I was close to graduating from the university, I cheaped out and bought the non-safety variety, saving myself $10. Then I dropped a disc brake rotor mounted in the mandrel when I went to mount it on the lathe...

Still better than the nuff nuff who doesn't put their safety glasses on because "it'll only take a minute..." 

Famous last words before somebody has to dig a chip or shaving out of their eye. It sucks, trust me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2018, 03:18:45 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 29, 2018, 03:13:07 AM

Still better than the nuff nuff who doesn't put their safety glasses on because "it'll only take a minute..." 

Famous last words before somebody has to dig a chip or shaving out of their eye. It sucks, trust me.

I can imagine!

I'm too much of a scaredy-cat when it comes to personal safety. At the lab I always take safety procedures very seriously. Vaccines, gloves, surgical masks, lab coat, I have them all.  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

This makes interesting reading. I first came across Taylor doing business studies in college years ago. F.Taylor's Experiment with Pig Iron: A Start for Scientific Management
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on August 29, 2018, 08:36:26 AM
This makes interesting reading. I first came across Taylor doing business studies in college years ago. F.Taylor's Experiment with Pig Iron: A Start for Scientific Management

Very interesting story from that period, some bosses still have to learn the lesson a hundred years later! Yet some companies, especially Quaker owned ones in this country, were well in advance.

Coincidental that, according to Wiki, Midvale Steel was based at Nicetown, Philadelphia.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

There is another story about Taylor. He went to a different factories and was often looked on with suspicion by the workers. But in this case a chap was moving iron billets from a flat wagon. We was on piece rate and invited Taylor to help him work more efficiently. It cut his working day from 12 to 5 hours! So he went and got a second job!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2018, 03:16:54 AM
I can't do steel toe. Tried for over a year and by the time I gave them up I could barely walk. Does your son wear steel or one of the new composites? I might try a pair of those when my Wolverines give out on me.

I don't want to handle anything that heavy without a gantry though. If this damn tarrif nonsense gets sorted our we might be able to build one for the shop.

Composite, but he has a problem with the caps digging into his toes on one side. I had safety shoes when we engaged in heavy work, but they stayed under my desk most of the time, since more of my work was supervisory in the last 15 or so years.

Buddy

I am enjoying that sweet schadenfreude.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on August 30, 2018, 01:53:10 PM

Details. Details! You can't leave us hanging like that!

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on August 30, 2018, 02:15:07 PM

We want to hear all the juicy details.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Buddy

Okay, so it's kind of a long backstory so I'll give you a cliff notes version.

A few years before I joined HAF my mom was married to a horrible person. He was verbally abusive to my mom, my brother, and me. He's the reason I get panicky when someone raises their voice. He ended up cheating on her and knocked up the other woman, who knew he was married. Mom divorced the loser and we've been better off ever since.

Turns out now that they just had a set of twins and they are both miserable. They have no money, he doesn't help take care of his children, and she is stuck with the bastard.

I couldn't be happier. He could drop dead and the world would be a better place. 
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on August 30, 2018, 02:37:45 PM

Okay, so it's kind of a long backstory so I'll give you a cliff notes version.

A few years before I joined HAF my mom was married to a horrible person. He was verbally abusive to my mom, my brother, and me. He's the reason I get panicky when someone raises their voice. He ended up cheating on her and knocked up the other woman, who knew he was married. Mom divorced the loser and we've been better off ever since.

Turns out now that they just had a set of twins and they are both miserable. They have no money, he doesn't help take care of his children, and she is stuck with the bastard.

I couldn't be happier. He could drop dead and the world would be a better place.

Thank you for filling in the details. Shame for the kids though. I bet he'll just bugger off again.

No one

Sadly though Buddy, for each fucktard that falls, 47 shall arise.

Bluenose

I don't blame you for feeling that way Buddy.  Sorry for the kids though, they didn't do anything to deserve a loser for a father like that.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett