News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 06, 2017, 12:10:08 AM
So today I went to visit the hospital facilities in which I will hopefully carry out my master's project with human subjects. For a public university hospital it doesn't look precarious. Brand new building, not a smudge on the walls to be found.

It could go two ways: I could work with adolescents (aged 18-20) or women in the perimenopausal phase (about 45-55 years old), the latter being a subpopulation who frequently report a decline in memory functions. These cohorts will be ready to be tested early next year. If I could choose, I'd go for the adolescent cohort because I have some more knowledge on that age group than on older women. Either way, I'm very happy and especially grateful for the opportunity. :grin:

Congratulations. The masters is a useful practice run for a PhD. Please give us frequent updates, because it sounds very interesting.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

OldGit

Dragonia

Yes, xSP, I'm very excited for you! What a fun, fascinating field!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

Good for you Fernanda!

I'm very happy for you as this sounds like a wonderful opportunity, plus it's a new facility, totally fucking awesome! 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Well, the physio said that I had been doing all the right things regarding recovering from my bursitis/tendinitis ridden foot.

Only drawback is that, at my age,  6 weeks is average for recovery and I need to take walking carefully in future. Just when I was regularly breaking the 200 metre point without getting out of breath or feeling like my legs are going to fall off.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dragonia

^^^Maybe all that walking is good for your foot? After all, Dr. said you're doing all the right things!  :D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on September 06, 2017, 04:54:17 PM
^^^Maybe all that walking is good for your foot? After all, Dr. said you're doing all the right things!  :D

Nope, walking too much was mentioned as being a possible cause, though I think not in this instance - long story! More likely a drawer handle was implicit in the case  :grin:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I suffer bursitis in my hips, once it becomes established the only non-surgical "cure" is to not do that which aggravates it - like walking. That bursitis was due to my walking 4.5 miles along the canal to town, then around town, (and sometimes back), at least once a week, for six years, in all weathers except torrential rain, as part of my recovery from my heart attack in 1998.

Currently it feels like I have a burst blister where the top of a shoe back might rub in the heel, but the tendons suffered a bit as well due to my limp mode. Still, 'tis on the mend!  :grin:

xSilverPhinx

That's great Dave!  :heyhey:

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 06, 2017, 06:51:13 AM
Congratulations. The masters is a useful practice run for a PhD. Please give us frequent updates, because it sounds very interesting.

I agree. I could opt out of a masters and go directly for a PhD but I think that wouldn't be the best course of action, especially because I have so much to learn.

Oh, I will. :grin: 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Tomorrow's a holiday!  :jumps:

(Independence day)

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 07, 2017, 02:20:42 AM
That's great Dave!  :heyhey:

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 06, 2017, 06:51:13 AM

I agree. I could opt out of a masters and go directly for a PhD but I think that wouldn't be the best course of action, especially because I have so much to learn.

Oh, I will. :grin:

No, please don't do that. The temptation is always to save time, but I have seen a few people do that in chemistry and end up struggling a lot. Perhaps it will be different in your field. It is quite a weird feeling at the beginning when people address you as Dr, but it is a useful key that opens doors.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 07, 2017, 05:39:48 AM
No, please don't do that. The temptation is always to save time, but I have seen a few people do that in chemistry and end up struggling a lot. Perhaps it will be different in your field. It is quite a weird feeling at the beginning when people address you as Dr, but it is a useful key that opens doors.

Yeah, practically everyone I talk to tells me not to. I know a couple of people who did not pass the selection process for the master's programme and were able to get into a doctorate programme instead and are struggling. One of the two might not even be able to finish in 4 years. Since I have no experience working with humans I think going for a masters first is the best course of action. :smilenod:

The temptation to save time is strong though, and especially to get out of school and start working in the field. The good thing about basic science with humans is that it has more funding than animal models. The hospital I mentioned earlier is also undergoing expansion, which might mean job opportunities in the future, but for that anything less than a doctorate would be unviable. I don't know if I'd go for a postdoc position somewhere (basically anywhere) though.

Besides the fascination with humans the funding aspect is what draws me. It's always sad to see people who have invested so much of their time and effort to get a PhD and end up working in restaurants and pubs to make ends meet.       

Dave

Never been anywhere near you position, Silver, but my instinct would be the slower path you are contemplating. With the new "knowledge-load" in addition to the work-load involved rushing it seems less than sensible.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 07, 2017, 07:15:56 AM
Never been anywhere near you position, Silver, but my instinct would be the slower path you are contemplating. With the new "knowledge-load" in addition to the work-load involved rushing it seems less than sensible.

:thumbsup:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on September 06, 2017, 05:20:49 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on September 06, 2017, 04:54:17 PM

Nope, walking too much was mentioned as being a possible cause, though I think not in this instance - long story! More likely a drawer handle was implicit in the case  :grin:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I suffer bursitis in my hips, once it becomes established the only non-surgical "cure" is to not do that which aggravates it - like walking. That bursitis was due to my walking 4.5 miles along the canal to town, then around town, (and sometimes back), at least once a week, for six years, in all weathers except torrential rain, as part of my recovery from my heart attack in 1998.

Currently it feels like I have a burst blister where the top of a shoe back might rub in the heel, but the tendons suffered a bit as well due to my limp mode. Still, 'tis on the mend!  :grin:

Have you considered using an elliptical machine Dave? About 8-9y ears ago I tore my MCL playing soccer. At the time I was  a voracious runner, but my doctor wouldn't let me run as part of my recovery process, in fact due to other ankle injuries and some ankle, lower leg and knee wounds I have the doctor (Sports Doc) told me to stop running altogether. I started walking a ton, which at the time was instrumental for me recovering from my torn MCL, but he had me start using an elliptical machine because the muscles in my knee was getting weak.

Anyway its a great non-impact way of getting exercise. Possibly you could combine that with walking?

I also bike regularly all year, and play racquetball about once a week (Plus yoga), but my main source of cardio is through the elliptical, I usually do about 45 minutes 3 x per week just on that machine.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Very long rant erased, see above.