News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on May 04, 2017, 03:21:12 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 03, 2017, 11:41:15 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on May 02, 2017, 10:21:16 PM
I have a reason to be cheerful; my car, the mighty Günhilde, passed inspection yesterday. :}
:sshocked: Would it be possible to see a pic of a car named Gunhilde?
But it's not just a car named Gunhilde, this is the mighty Gunhilde.  :worried:

Does it have . . . Oops, no, it was Brünhilde who had an iron bra.

The show's not over 'til the fat lady dings sings!

[Edited, got my quotes mixed before!]
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Is the mighty Gunhilde a boy car or a girl car?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

jumbojak

Gender neutral. I think, anyway.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: jumbojak on May 04, 2017, 01:49:29 PM
Gender neutral. I think, anyway.

I was thinking maybe it was a Bi-Cycle...get it? ;)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Well, wallnuts and banana nibbled bit at a time late last night stayed put. Goodish night, pain level now 0.5 or less!

Thanks for all the symp guys!

:)

Dave

Hee, hee. How to freak out a friend.

A friend is totally 100% body piercings on men and I used to wind her up by talking about getting an earing.

Saw an add for magnetic earings - got lots of little magnets . . . Put a 4mm, very shiny, ball magnet on the front of my earlobe and a 4mm disk magnet behind, then did the same 3/4 the way up the rim. Worked a treat, I could flip my ears without them falling off and not too uncomfortable.

My friend also flipped!

Velma

It is great to work with a group of people who get stuff done. As you may or may not know, I work in a mail order pharmacy. Things work a bit differently from your corner pharmacy. Prescription orders are filled through a combination of automation and manual filling. My department deal with problem orders. We are also responsible for keeping track of orders for our largest client to make sure that they get out before they are 11 days old.

Last night at work was horrible. Night shift came in to find 25 ten-day old orders for that account. Twenty-five is a unacceptably large number of orders to have gotten so close to the deadline. I could have understood if they were orders that had been held up in front end and prevented from reaching the pharmacy, but they weren't. There was a momentary WTF! moment, then we pulled together and got those orders out. No bickering. No whining. No one worrying about doing more work than someone else. Just work getting done.

There was great moment right after I ran the report. The night shift lead left her desk, walked up the day shift lead to ask, "What the f**k were you all doing all day?"
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

^ That is one if the things I missed after leaving the RAF, Velma. It is not so easy to find a strong ethos of duty, of united purpose and teamwork in commercial organisations. Politics gets in the way, often mostly amongst the managers, who should be setting example. Find a bitchy, inefficient team and you will mostly find a bitchy, inefficient manager in charge of it.

A trouble shooting team needs to be picked from the top workers, in attitude as well as skills!

Sounds like you are in the right place. :)

Velma

^Yes, I am in the right place.

Funny thing is, people who have worked with both day and night shifts have commented on the difference between the two. Apparently, day shift needs a lot of hand-holding and baby-sitting, while night shift just gets on with it. 
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Velma

Another reason to be cheerful:

The new medication for my autoimmune disease is working so well that I was able to clean out my closet and a couple of chests. I donated three bags of clothes to a local charity.

Dave

Quote from: Velma on May 06, 2017, 02:02:35 AM

The new medication for my autoimmune disease is working so well that I was able to clean out my closet and a couple of chests. I donated three bags of clothes to a local charity.

Don't think I even own three bags of clothes! :)

We get chsrity bagsvthrough the door. By the time my clothes are ready to be "let go" they are usually only raggable anyway. Fashion - wor's dat den?

Velma

Quote from: Gloucester on May 06, 2017, 04:23:15 AM

We get chsrity bagsvthrough the door. By the time my clothes are ready to be "let go" they are usually only raggable anyway. Fashion - wor's dat den?
Most of it was items I'd stuffed in a drawer or storage box and forgotten. It felt good to get rid of it all.

Tank

Super duper news!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2017, 05:14:18 PM

Super duper news!

That is great news!
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on May 06, 2017, 04:43:29 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 06, 2017, 04:23:15 AM

Most of it was items I'd stuffed in a drawer or storage box and forgotten. It felt good to get rid of it all.

Fantastic news!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany